FOUR: SUBWAY SINGER

Under the Cherry Blossom

 

The first afternoon period ended. Jessica carried a stack of documents to pass it to one of the teachers. Up till now, she still couldn't believe what she saw during lunch. That pretty boy who was sleeping angelically under the Cherry blossom tree was actually that most dull looking Kris. You couldn't blame Jessica for not recognizing him. A simple pair of spectacles could make a very tremendous change. Not only her, but any other girls would be speechless if they were in Jessica's situation.

That long fringe and large spectacles practically covered half of his face. He wasn't the one who liked to interact with people, so he basically had zero existence. But it was considered a good thing right? Jessica smiled devilishly. If the girls found out how he really looks like, his school life would take a  360 degree turn.

But this pretty boy's charm was quite astonishing. It was her first time losing concentration during class. She couldn't absorb what the teacher had said, she was thinking about that baby-like and harmless sleeping face. Luckily for her. The teacher didn't ask her any questions, or else her entire reputation would be destroyed by Kris.

"Aigoo…" she heaved a sigh, the excited emotions were all pushed down by her dignity.

"Seonsaengnim, I'm here to deliver documents." She knocked her door and entered.

"Ah, you came. Just leave it here." The 70 year old teacher grinned so brightly. It wasn't hard to see how much love she has for that particular student.

Jessica smiled back and placed the documents on her table before realising that there was another student standing in her office - it was the person that she was thinking of, the person that invaded her mind - Kris. Don't know if her mind was playing tricks on her, but by just standing there, she actually felt like he was glowing. Even if his looks was blocked by the fringe and spectacles, even if his standing posture wasn't that upright, Jessica still had a curious feeling about him.

While her favourite student was beside her, the teacher couldn't help but to complain, "This young lad actually said that his homework was bitten by his dog. Who would believe that?"

Bitten by a dog? Jessica took a glimpse of Kris and attempted to read his mind through his emotionless expression. This type of explanation obviously wouldn't satisfy a teacher, but her instinct made her believe that he wasn't the type who would lie.

"Seonsaengnim, my pet dog also bit my homework once. I think Kris shi didn't mean it. Why not you let me monitor him to do his homework, is that alright?" Jessica smiled, but she was scolding herself in her mind. How could she have a dog? Her mother was allergic to any furry animals, furthermore she was busy with Council issues and didn't have time to shower love to animal. Nevertheless, she still helped to plead with the teacher, what was wrong with her?

Even president jung had spoken, of course the teacher wouldn't mind. "If you're willing to help then that would be great! Aigoo, if everyone was like you, that would be so relaxing."

"Then we'll go out first." Jessica thanked the teacher and led Kris out of the office.

"Why did you help me?" Kris stared right at the legend among the student body, the one loved by every student and teacher.

"Drop by the council room ager school, I'll supervise you in your homework." Jessica didn't answer his question, said her words and left. She didn't ignore that annoyance he had when he was talking to her, she didn't know why he had that annoyance and why she would help him. She just felt that if he continued being reprimanded by the teacher, she would be uncomfortable too.

Jessica silently sighed, she didn't want to forget about him on purpose because she simply could not give a logical explanation for her own actions.

"…" Kris looked at her silhouette, the eyes behind the pair of spectacles glistened.

5pm sharp. Jessica placed her report down and looked at the clock to confirm the time. One and a half hour after school ended, she accepted the fact that she got stood up. Kris didn't listen to her and drop by the council room to finish his holiday homework.

 "President Jung, I've finished reading for half an hour." Nana sadly said while carrying the Shakespeare collection. Although being alone with Jessica was a happy occasion, she really couldn't control that overwhelming fatigue. She really did wanted to follow Jessica's instructions and improve her essay writing skills, but every sentence seemed to be a foreign language because she couldn't understand any of it.

"Ah… thirty minutes!" She happily thought. If she opened her brain now, instead of seeing brain juice, a giant panda will probably jump out.

"You may go home, be careful on your way home." Jessica sensed her tiredness and slightly smiled.

Nana nodded her head, yawned and returned home.

The door closed. The empty council room was left with Jessica. She finished her work and had no reason to stay on. Kris actually ignored her words, it looks like she had to do something to make him realise what situation he was in.

It was crowded on the way home; but this atmosphere was unable to influence Jessica because she was already too tired. 

All these years, Jessica never once accepted any of her umpteen confessions. Perhaps she was lacking that teenage girl's mindset. In her life plan, dating was after she provided her mother with a good lifestyle.

When her parents divorced, she abandoned her father who had an affair and lived with her mother. She kinda regretted it because her mother wouldn't have to work that hard to earn money for her to attend school if she had stayed with her father. Although her mother was always feeling guilty for being unable to provide her with a comfortable life, the one who truly felt guilty was Jessica.

5.45pm. She heaved a sigh, she was so busy with council affairs. It was peak period, and the buses would be packed which would delay her travelling time.she decided to make a detour and take the train instead.

She walked down to the subway station. She saw a crowd that was of diverse range. There were girls with uniform,  there were fashionistas, there were even ajummas. 

Could it be a sale? Or some company having a celebration? No way, it was too quiet to be that.

She had no clue why there was a crowd there. Curiosity killed the cat; Jessica went towards the crowd.

She had no interest in squeezing into the crowd, and stopped walking. But she realised the reason why there was a crowd because a singing voice was heard.

The singer's voice had good texture, and complimented the bass. Jessica had never heard a song that sad. Although she was still a distance away, she felt the singer's inner pain. That pain barricaded the noisy subway station from the audience.

"I’m weary from wandering by your side
 Even today, as I was wandering
Day has passed again and again.
Now I’m here
You know. You know that my heart is hurting " (Mistake by SNSD)

One song, many emotions. Some people even teared while listening. As a singer, this person had a perfect ability but to sing here and get surrounded by so many people as well as block people, this person was either crazy or wanted to challenge the subway company.

As soon as she thought of this point, a few guards dashed forward and attempted to disperse the crowd.

" You again! don't make me see you again or I'll arrest you!" the guard raged.

The crowd got dispersed and Jessica finally saw the mysterious singer.