TWENTY EIGHT: DESPAIR

Under the Cherry Blossom

Jessica knew that that girl was very important to Kris, but then again, she wasn't so generous such that she would allow her boyfriend to dwell on his ex girlfriend. Since she was his girlfriend now, he should only remember her; irregardless of how much he loved Lee Gayeon, he should only love Jessica Jung in the future. 

Kris didn't understand why he would follow that couple. What he didn't expected was that he couldn't resist the temptation to grab hold of her and interrogate Lee Gayeon after 3 years of losing contact.

When Kris saw her backview, all the memories that were buried in his heart flew out; all the memories were still so clear despite hiding it for 3 years.

She was still so beautiful, she still had the same walking posture, she was like a fairy. The last time he saw her with a stranger,  he was looking forward to her explanation despite being heartbroken. He would believe her words irregardless of whatever explanation she gives, but she didn't give any explanation or cover up. Instead, she told her the 'truth' that made him suffered for 3 years.

"I've never once liked you, I only like your money. Jebal, please use your brain. How could I ever like someone that was younger than me, someone with no achievements, someone who only knows how to ask their money from his parents? You're cute, but cute doesn't guarantee survival. I beg you. Please don't harass me from today onwards, I'm really tired of it. If you really like me, then leave me alone."

Her words echoed in her mind. Kris didn't believe what she said. She didn't believe the girl who had used to use a gentle tone to him, tell him about her days, about her interesting encounters and tell him about her goals in life.

But all of a sudden, things changed. Things changed in a blink of an eye, so fast that he couldn't even have time to react.

He stood in front of her house for two days just for a chance to see her. He waited until he fainted in the storm and got admitted to the hospital. He was in the hospital for several days due to the continuous high fever and infection. It was only after he discharged that he found out that their family had moved and nobody had a clue of their whereabouts.

From that monent, Kris changed. He left the place that was filled with all the painful thoughts and memories. She wore spectacles and grew a long fringe as well as to earn his own money. He wanted to be the complete opposite of what Gayeon had said about him, he wanted to become a person that Gayeon will like. He clearly knew that she wouldn't come back for him, he clearly knew that she betrayed his trust and feelings, yet he was still determined in doing all these…

When Kris saw the couple splitting up in their own ways, Kris ran after her without hesitation.

"Gayeon…" He spoke as if he was dreaming.

Gayeon shivered and turned around. Her eyes were filled with disbelief for a moment before it became icy cold.

"Long time no see." There wasn't a tinge of happiness at all.

He smiled bitterly. He called her name desperately because he wanted to say so much to her, but he suddenly didn't know what to say. He could only look at that refreshing face. She had always been beautiful, but it was her charisma that made him fell in love with her.

"Have you been living well all these years?" He clenched his fists to prevent him from touching that pale and icy cold face.

Gayeon let out a cold laugh, and place her hair behind her ears, "Of course I've been living well without you wandering around me."

 Kris's expression darkened, his heart was also stabbed by her emotionless words.

"That's good." He forcefully smiled, "Then good bye." he turned around and  walked back. If he continued looking we her, he might pounce on her to ask her why she treated him like that.

However, the situation was slightly different from the past. There was still a source of warmth under that wounded and cold heart of his. He still had Jessica Jung. He knew that she would never betray him and be by his sides. That was already sufficient for him.

Gayeon stood at the original place, and attempted to touch that slender silhouette of his. Two teardrops slowly fell down…

When Kris returned, he couldn't manage to find Luhan and Jessica until he caught them waving to him from the nearby café. It made his heart felt warm and he entered the café.

"Mianhe, I was…" Kris sat beside Jessica and attempted to apologise for his actions. However, it was interrupted by Jessica's

"Try the coffee here, it's not bad. No harm drinking a cup since Luhan is paying for it." 

Jessica grinned and placed the cup of coffee in front of him.

Kris was stunned, but he understood her intentions shortly after. He didn't continue and took a sip of the coffee.

"Wae? Why me?" Luhan raised his hands in protest.

Jessica pretended like she was gasping and opened her eyes widely, "Ah? So you want a girl to pay the bill?"

"We'll have to see our relationship. If the girl is my girlfriend, of course I would pay. But if it's someone else's girlfriend, then someone else has to pay." He looked at the 'someone else' and smiled devilishly.  It wasn't because that he was stingy, it was because he found it interesting to rebut her. Luhan admired smart girls; it wasn't easy to find a worthy opponent of his. He just had to challenge her.

"You're at THE Luhan. The rich musician that is driving a sports car. Why are you being so picky over this? What if all your fans think they you're a stingy old chicken?" Jessica knew that Luhan was joking with him and she shot back.

She noticed Kris's depressed expression when he entered the café and wanted to cheer him up by rebutting Luhan

"Okay, I surrender." Luhan smiled and raised both of his hands. He took the bill and bid farewell, "Y'all have a nice chat, I shall stop playing the third wheel."

He elegantly waved and left the space for the couple who needed space to communicate.

The café was quiet and filled with classical soundtracks.  Jessica looked out of the window and looked at the people walking. Some were leisurely walking, some were walking briskly, but what they had in common was that each one of them had their own goal to achieve.  She was like them; she had a goal to achieve, and she had been trying hard to achieve it. But the appearance of Kris disrupted her life plan and presented her from focusing on following her plan.

Her lifetime goal suddenly became less important with the appearance of Kris. She wanted him to be happy and to laugh. Simple, but hard. 

She was also scared to hear his past from him personally. She was afraid that she would be able to sense that he still loves his ex-girlfriend. 

The most memorable relationship isn't the relationship that has an happy ending. Instead, it was the relationship whereby you can never have the other party's love. It was that despair that  would be etched in one's heart. It was like a novel, where only a sad scene would be fully able to capture the reader's feelings and make them reminisce about it. (A/N: Actually I don't agree because a funny Novel can do that too) 

What must she do to help him? Hire a psychologist? Jessica chuckled.

"I want to apologise to you." Kris finally opened his mouth.

Jessica didn't reply and just listened because she knew he had more to say.

As expected.

"I'm sorry for hiding it from you for so long." Kris lowered his head. He was guilty; compared to Jessica who was so open minded, he kept everything in him, he even abandoned her and chased after Gayeon. If his girlfriend was somebody else, she would have broken up with him.

Jessica still remained silent, but she placed her hand into his cold palms. She understood that Kris was struggling from what she heard from Luhan. However, she would be his best listener if Kris was to repeat the same story to her.

"The person I chased after just now was the girl I loved previously. We lost contact 3 years ago, so I was surprised when I saw her, which was why I left you here and chased after her. I'm sorry for not considering about your feelings."  Kris held her hand tightly as he said it with a depressed tone. 

Jessica slightly smiled. Based on what Luhan had told her, the girl basically lied to him from the beginning, yet this babo never once complained about her to Jessica as he was telling her about what happened.

Anyone would be uncomfortable if their boyfriend left her to chase after other girls.

"I can forgive you, but you have to promise me one thing." She used her authority and said, "I'm your girlfriend now, you can't have anyone else in your heart in the future."

Kris looked at her and enthusiastically nodded.

He couldn't believe his luck. He thought Jessica would get all possessive and make a harsh request. For example, not seeing Gayeon again. 

His worry was for nothing. She was different from the normal girls, she was the one and only Jessica Jung. It was exactly why he liked her.

"Then let's forget about the unhappy incidents!" Jessica stood up, pulled him up and prepared to leave. However, she didn't entirely forget about what happened previously.

"What did you say to her when you saw her?" Jessica pretended like she was asking a casual question as they out.

Kris froze momentarily and then laughed, "I thought you didn't care that much." He continued laughing as he opened the café door.

"Hurry up and say it out. You better don't miss a word!" Jessica chased after him and showed him her fist.

"Yes mdm!"