FINAL CHAPTER 60!

The Dragon and The Lion

Leo looked at you with a worried expression. He unconsciously held your hand tighter but you did notice it and caressed the back of his hand with your thumb to reasure him it was okay.

It had been quite a long time since you stopped texting or calling kris and he hadn't stopped by your house either. Even your brother realized so he avoided asking about him.

This time it was different. You weren't in a fight nor were you mad at each other. Both had naturally grown apart due to the course of your lives.

Last time you talked with Kris was when he told you about Charlotte's pregnancy and both's life had been hectic since then.

You wanted to talk to him and he wanted to talk to you but neither of you had an appropiate excuse to break the ice.

Both had made your choices.

"Good for him" you said with a genuine smile.

.......

You received your last pay check and as usual you transfered half of it to Kris' account. The amount you owed him for paying your tutition was far from being paid but still wanted to keep your promise.

Your bestfriend got a deposit notification from his bank and his lips curved up when he saw it was from you. He placed his phone back on the table and continued to pay attention to the meeting that was proceeded by his father.

After lots of fights with his family and after everything calmed down with the media and their stocks were stable, mr. Wu decided to finally train kris to become his succesor. The young man promised to his father that he would make their empire even bigger than Charlotte's family so that they won't have to to make those pointless arranged marriages.

"you can fire me if you don't see profit in two years" the youngest wu said to his father once they were alone in his office.

"ok. we have a deal"

after an awkward minute of silent, where both pretended to be reading documents Kris's dad finally spoke.

"what happened with that girl?"

the question caught Kris off guard.

"Charlotte? I get to see her at work very often. She is doing just fine."

"yes, poor thing having a miscarriage at such a young age and the divorce..."

the dragon rolled his eyes knowing everything was a lie "she brought it upon herself. Besides, I'm the one who was cheated on, why are you pittying her?".

"You must have threated her awfully for her to have to do that"

Kris rolled her eyes so hard they hurted.

"You're very fond of your ex daughter in law, arent you?"

"Not her. I was fond of her shares...but i was not talking about the kim's daughter. I was talking the other one"

'the other one' kris scoffed in his mind.

"why do you care? She is not a threat anymore" his son replied a little bit on edge. "she moved on and it's with someone else, I don't think she even wants to see me ever again so please. I'm asking you..." he breathed out "... leave her alone"

the bussiness man thought his son had matured a lot from the time he was a rebelious boy who didn't want to get married to a man that was willing to let the woman he loves go to someone else so that she can be happy.

But his pride wouldn't let him admit it.

"alright. She wouldn't have won against the Wu family anyways"

"right" kris didn't want to drag the conversation longer so he got on his feet and buttoned his jacket up "I have something to do so I'll send you my report regarding this morning's meeting"

Kris hurried up and drove all the way to the other side of the city, he parked infront of a small house that wasn't too fancy but not too humble. He took his phone and called someone.

"I'm outside"

after a moment, the door opened and a familiar face showed up.

"Long time no see" the frail looking boy greeted kris.

"I gave you enough money to travel the world or live hidding in a mountain yet you chose to comeback. Are you a masoquist?" the exblonde smirked

"It's nice to see you again, Kris" luhan moved aside so that he could enter.

The taller man looked around taking in his friend's home. It was well decorated for a guy living alone.

"I'll go straight to the point" he turned around to face the deer-like guy.

"Sure. Speak"

"Leave this city. If the Kims don't make your life a living hell, I will"

"Kris..."

"The fact that I didn't love Charlotte doesn't change the fact that you betrayed me. I gave you a second chance and you wasted it" kris sounded like he meant it but he didn't.

"That won't happen" a voice sounded from behind kris. A very familiar voice. "Charlotte" kris huffed and rolled his eyes."really? You both don't learn from your mistakes, do you?"

"I'm here to mend my errors"

"She is right. We've got nothing to do with each other, she came here because i called her"

The dragon had learned enough during the past year to be able to decode a lying person.

"Woah! Just like a fairytale . Now everyone is happy!" kris said sarcasticaly and clapped his hand dramatically before getting serious again. "Come back to reality, Charlotte! Do you want to go trough all of it again? Do you know what your father will do to him if he finds out you're seeing him?! That is exactly why I had sent him away!

"I will assume the responsability this time" she answered.

Luhan cleared his throat "excuse me but I don't want or need any of you to protect me. In fact, I plan to stay away from both's life"

Charlotte gasped.

"Then why did you come back?"kris asked still not buying it.

"I'm starting my own bussines with the money you gave me" the boy-looking man's voice was firm.

Kris was impressed but only his eyebrow twitched up, his face remained neutral.

"Sure. But couldnt you have done it in another city...or country?" he refutated.

"The capital is the best option to make bussiness"

"Well, good luck with that. And you -he said to charlotte- what are you here for anyway? Apologize? Dont make me laugh. I bet you're here to sell him part of your shares because you feel guilty"

Bull's eyes. Luhan and Charlotte were surprised by kris' guess.

"Again: good luck with that".he turned around "if that's everything you called me for then I'm going. I don't expect you to return the money,luhan. But don't expect me to help you again, same goes for you Charlotte"

He walked out the door leaving both with a sour look and the feeling of a heavy burden on their shoulders. Yes, guilt can be described like that.

................

Leo was home, browsing something about antiques on the internet, his eyes were on the screen but his mind was somewhere else: back to the moment where Hakyeon told you Kris had divorced, he couldnt decipher your face: was it happines? was it concern? anguish? doubt, maybe? The only thing he was sure about was that it bothered him very much.

The scowl dissapeared when the screen of his phone showed a message from you.

USER 3021: are you there?

He took seconds to reply, didnt care if he wasn't cool.

USER9011: i'm here.

USER3021: what are you doing?

The conversation felt a little awkward since you didn't messaged each other very often to make small talk. You rather meet in person or talk on the phone ever since you started dating.

USER9011: research for my thesis.

USER3021: oh...is it difficult?

USER9011: not really.

That chat was going nowhere, you had to do something.

USER3021: we need to talk.

It wasn't too long before your phone started ringing. the screen showed Kris's name. you hesitated before taking the call.

You cursed under your breathe because you wanted to talk to kris, but was in the middle of an important chat with Leo and even if you could do both at the same time, it was not going to get the same amount of importance.

"hello?"

"hey...uhmm...how've you been?" your friend's voice sounded a little bit down "it's been so long since we last talked right?'

"I know...I've been doing great. I got a new job, I'm about to start my second year at school, everything is going just fine. How about you, I heard the news...Congratulations on being free"

kris didnt know how to feel about you saying that. You heard the traffic noises on the other side, the call was on speaker.

"yeah, it's not going to be that easy to get everything in order but we'll get to it. Have there been strange people around your house lately? like before?"

he stopped his car and relaxed his shoulders,  stress got him from time to time and there were times he just wanted throw everything away and drive.

"No. everything is fine. why? should i be scared?"

You checked for a new message from Leo but there was none.

"No, of course not. Just in case.... How's your brother?"

"still obsessed over soccer and games -you laughed- he is at practice right now"

"I should go see him someday"

"I'm sure he misses you too"

"too?" His tone lightened up.

dang it!

"you miss him too right?" you explained.

"I do. He was like my little brother too...but what I wanted to ask is: have you missed me?"

your heart clenched. you were hoping he wouldn't ask that, for his own good.

'here we go again' you thought.

"It's normal to miss my best friend isn't it? Did you miss me too?" you tried to sound normal.

Kris felt his mouth dry all of a sudden. He had to his lips before answering.

"I did. Very much. I wanted to talk to you but I had to wait until it was safe. Even though my family knows you're ... not with me anymore, they'd keep you in check just in case."

You remembered that night when Mr Wu told you Kris had married charlotte for your safety.

"Thank you...but don't sacrifice yourself for me anymore, I am sure you have plenty of things to worry about right now and I'm not as helpless as before "

He heard your cheerful voice and a small smile appeared on his face.

'is it thanks to him?' he didn't dare to ask.

"Okay. Maybe I'll drop by your house some day, meanwhile I expect every payment on time, okay?"

"Yeap. Every month"

"bye"

"kris!" you stopped him before he ended the call.

"mmh?"

"really...thank you for everything you've done for me"

'why does it feel like something is ending?' he thought.

"anytime"

He couldn't hide the feel of defeat in his voice. so he hurried to finish the call before you said something else. He's never been a good loser.

.........

Leo took his keys and hurried out of his apartment with a lot of things crossing his mind. your house was relatively close but he chose to drive.

Why does she need to talk? What happened? Did I say something wrong?.

He was so into his thoughts that he missed a STOP sign almost in front of a cop. Leo realized it until he heard the sirens and saw the lights in his rearview.

"what now?!" he huffed and hit the steering wheel.

The officer asked for his license and followed all the procedures. Your boyfriend kept his nerves on line as much as he could and accepted the ticket and apologized so that it'd be over sooner.

He arrived at your house and stomped to the door. He rang the door bell once, even if he wanted to break that button. you weren't hurrying it up, so he rang twice and then a third time.

"WHAT?"  you yelled opening the door, thinking it might be your brother.

Instead, you found a surprised Leo holding back his laugh.

"Sorry" he apologized, realizing he was being too impatient and maybe obnoxious "You said, you wanted to talk and then didn't answer your phone or anything so I got worried"

You moved aside so he could enter and headed to the living room.

"ah! sorry! I got a call right after sending that and my phone died, it's charging right now"

Leo sighed, half relieved and half upset.

"okay. but what did you want to talk about?" he asked, fingers unconsciously entwined.

His concern got worse when you put on a serious expression.

"Leo...we've been dating for a while now, right?"

The lion felt his heart dropping on free fall.

"what?" he muttered

"yes, and so...umm, about Kris getting divorced -leo wanted earth to split open and eat him - I didn't think you'd doubt how serious I am about you...

yes, Leo had always felt at disadvantage towards Kris. He had known you since way before and added to that, he was richer. However, he pushed those thoughts back and went after you.

"Do you still have feelings for him?" he dropped the question like it was a very heavy burden.

"If I should name a feeling to describe how i feel about kris, then that would be ...mmm...-you tapped your index finger on your chin- melancholy. Because I miss the times when I was just friends with him and not worry about people taking our pictures, or his y exwife or his family coming at me. Those were good days, but now I've got you and I look forward to every day We are together"

You placed your hand on his, then Leo realized he had been holding his breath for too long, but now he could breathe at ease.

"Kris is my past, but you Leo, are my present and I hope you'll be my future too" you smiled sincerely even though you were embarrased of saying those things to leo, who lowered his head to hide his content expression.

Your boyfriend was in so much happiness that he forgot all of his doubts and fears.

"are you proposing to me right now?" he said in a soft voice but still laughing, his cheeks were more blushed than yours.

"what? no!...well, yes! but not right now...you know what I meant" you felt your face getting hotter by the second.

He locked his hand with yours "yes, I know".

After a couple of second in confortable silence he looked at you with a smirk on his face.

"So...y ex wife, huh?"

"what? did I say something wrong?"

"nope"

Leo laughed and it spread to you. but none of you let go of each other's hand.


....

And so... life moved on and everything got in place as time passed by. Hakyeon and Leo gratuated from college and continued their bussiness of art trading; they got more and more known in the bussiness world. thus, they attended many parties and reunions to promote their company and to get contacts.

It was one of those nights when the inevitable happened. Kris had to go to one of those parties to accompany his mother and was greeting some guests before he recognized a face among the crowd. He excused himself and moved forward.

"I see you're doing great" he said to his rival while getting 2 glasses of wine from one of the waiters.

Leo didn't answer and waited for Kris to say something else but he just gave him one glass, like a silent truce.

"yes, everything's going smoothly" he accentuated 'everything'. he knew the dragon wasn't concerned about his bussiness.

"good" he drank, so did leo "I went to her house yesterday"

"I know, she told me" leo answered not shaken by it.

"Is that a problem?"

"Not at all, you're her friend and I'm not some kind of dictator boyfriend" leo was saying calmly but suddenly the air got colder "but if you try to make a move on her, then we'll have a problem"

kris was a little intimitated even though he didnt showed it.

"I think you should know by now but She deserves the best in the world, are you sure you can give it to her?"

"I can give her the best of my world" Leo patted kris' shoulder and walked past him to meet with his partner, hakyeon. He didn't want to drag the conversation any longer.

"touche" kris mumbled before taking a sip from his cup.

A minute later someone cleared his throat behind him, he turned around and found his ex-father in law -hakyeon's father - holding a cup.

"Good evening" the man said polietly.

"Hello, Mr. Kim" Kris' guard was up. Naturally. "How's Charlotte?"

"She is doing great. All this marriage-pregnancy-divorce experience has matured her a lot"

"Good to hear that. And I've got to admit she's a good leader, she's gained everyone's respect in the bussiness circle, not only because she is your daughter or my ex-wife but she helped rise our shares and the profit for every single employee due to her PR skills"

"Yes. I've been told that a lot" he placed a hand on the young man's shoulder

'what's with everyone touching me today?' he thought.

"I guess marrying her to you wasn't that bad of a choice"

Kris mentally rolled his eyes "Are you planning to force her into and arranged marriage again?"

The man half laughed "I don't think she'd allow me to. She is not the brat she was before meeting you"

"Are you trying to get me back with her?" he half joked.

"maybe"

"Don't" Kris was completely serious this time. 

In the past, he wouldn't have dared to talk back like that to Mr. Kim  or anyone more powerful than him, but the events with Charlotte taught him that he would be a pawn for the rest of his life if he didn't stand for himself. No one was going to have mercy on a mere pawn on a board full of kings.

Before the man could say something else, kris dismissed himself with a formal nod and merged into the crowd.

'I want to go home' he breathed out.

The music changed to an acoustic version of Christina Perry's A thousand years and some people headed to the dance floor with their partners. But Kris walked to the farthest corner of the room, stealing a glass of champagne from a waiter's tray.

He looked at the swaying crowd, ignoring the constant glances from the women that walked by. That reminded him of the time he used to be with a diferent girl at every event, but they weren't the girl he wanted: you.

A sad smile was drawn on his face as he thought how he avoided inviting you anywhere so that you wouldn't get involved in his twisted world and now you're with someone else.

'serves me right' 

It wasn't that long until he spotted a very familiar back making her way across the room. Kris almost spilled his drink and hurried towards you.

A tap on your shoulder made you turn around to find your best friend. Kris was smiling genuinely.

"kris!?"

"hey, long time no see" he was still smiling a little "what are you doing here"

"I'm here with Leo and Hakyeon, but I lost them"

Kris was about to tell you he saw them but no; he wasn't that good. just took another sip of champagne.

"I'm here with my mom...as lame as it sounds"

You giggled "what a good son"

"So, how you doing?"

"great, actually. This is my last year in college, and already got a job related to my major. So that alone is pretty fortunate in these times"

"IS my family still bothering you?"

"No, not all" you shook your head "I'm sure they're busy with something more important"

"In fact..." Kris was about to tell you about inheriting the emporium but a tiny sparkle from your hand caught his breathe "... Is that?" the liquid in the glass he was holding started to shake slightly.

"ah..this" you lifted your left hand to show the delicate golden pink ring on your finger "is just a couple ring"

"I see" he breathed again "so you're not engaged?"

"Nope. I'm still a student and I've got my hands full with a debt to pay, remember? I don't have time to plan a wedding and all that"

'Note to self: add a higher interest rate to that debt'

"there you are" Leo walked towards you. His eyes on Kris, who stared back at him.

'I could have given her a bigger ring" he said to himself but the smirk was real.

"The auction is about to start" Your boyfriend said.

"you in it?" you asked your best friend.

"Of course not" his ego showed trough his voice "I'm the sponsor"

Leo scoffed but that didn't shake Kris. You felt the tension rising and grabbed leo by the arm and almost dragged him away.

"See you, Kris"

Kris waved good bye with a victorious grin on his face that disappeared as soon as you were out of sight. He took another sip of the bubbling drink and noticed a gorgeous blonde in a dress that left nothing to imagination looking at him. She gave him a flirty smile as she walked to him.

"Here we go again"

Another day, another drama.

Hakyeon was back in school to get some documents he needed. But never did he thought he's find a very familiar face coming out from the decane's office.

"Da..." the words stopped in his throat when he spotted his wife and Charlotte walking behind him.

"ah.we meet again" Charlotte innocently as both men and the woman's faces got paler.

"Uhm...yes. What brings you here, Mr. Kim?" Hakyeon asked his father.

"The Kim family is donating a new building for the bussines faculty" the man in an expensive suit answered "what are you doing here? An alumni reunion?"

"No, just some paper work cause I'm considering getting a PhD"

They all made surprises faces.

"such a diligent young man" said Mrs. Kim a little bit of sarcasm was on her voice "your father must be very proud of you"

Hakyeon cursed on his mind but his smile never faded as he looked straight into the man's eyes.

"I don't know. You see, he died before I was born" 

Charlotte as intuitive as she was, detected the edge on her  step brother's tone.

'Well, it's good to see you could overcome your hardships" the girl said without meaning it "we're late for our next appoinment so if you'd excuse us" she bowed slightly and walked pass Hakyeon, who only nodded back.

Once on the car Mrs. Kim and Charlotte were seating next to each other and facing Mr. Kim. The youngest Kim chose to break the silence.

"So? Who is he really?

"who?" her father answered.

"Cha Hakyeon. He was my classmate and suddenly gets to do bussiness with you... not to mention the huge resemblance between you two"

"I don't know him personally. And I'm not doing bussiness with him but with his partner, okay. So stop making baseless assumptions"

"You think I'm stupid, father?" she hissed "who is he?"

"I don't know what you want me to tell you"

"Charlotte, calm down" the mother placed a hand on her daughter's shoulder

"I won't, mother. this is too supicious, aren't you worried! he might have cheated on you!" charlotte yelled before feeling pain stung on her cheek and hearing his mother gasp loudly. Even the driver looked from the rear mirror.

Mr. Kim also felt his hand hurt and thought maybe he used too much strength but it didn't pained him as much as the look Charlotte gave him with bloodshot eyes.

"stop the car" she muttered "STOP THE CAR"

"Don't" the man ordered to the confused chauffeur but he had to stop at a red light and that was when charlotte took the chance and stormed out, ignoring both parent's pleads.

She could run even wearing high heels, and before she knew it her parent's car was nowhere to be seen.

she took out her phone from her pouch and looked trough the contacts but no one would take her calls. The only ones left were Kris and Luhan but none of them were an option to ask for rescue, she didn't have the right or face to.

She realized she was alone.

Kris' ex wife wandered around the city, something she never had the chance to do until she stopped by a park to rest.

'Maybe I should go home, after all. It's not like I've got somewhere else to go, anyway'

She was about to call her private driver when her phone buzzed showing Kris name on the screen and she picked up right away.

"hello?"

"charlotte, where are you?" kris sounded upset "your parent's called me"

"why? I thought we were mere business partners now"

"exactly. and I rather deal with you than with your old man. So tell me where are you. I'll go pick you up"

Even though Charlotte was happy at least Kris went trough the trouble to call her she had to keep her pride intact.

"no need. I'm going home now"

"okay, I'll tell your parents"

"wait! kris..."

"what?"

"So...if you had to call someone for help, not the police or anything like that, but like you were in a situation to call someone you trust. Who would you call?"

"No one" kris answered without hesitation "I'm alone now. That's the price I had to pay to get to where I am now"

"I see" Charlotte breathed out "just so you know...you could call me"

"No, thanks. Hurry up and go home, you're not cut to be on your own. Bye" he ended the call before charlotte could say something else.

Smiling, Charlotte called her driver and headed home where she expected another round of drama with her parents but instead they hugged her and apologized.

She decided it was better not to ask for that man - Hakyeon - again.

Several years later, when Mr. Kim had passed away. Charlotte found out the whole truth, about how she was adopted and Hakyeon was her step brother who kept the promise to never reveal himself to her.

.......

Back in the present day.

Kris sat alone in his study, the tv was showing the news about him becoming the succesor and how that sky rocketed the shares of the company. He turned it off and let out a pleased sigh.

It was night and the employees had already left so he was the only one in the building besides the security guard on the first floor. The silence was comforting but at the same time made him realize he's gone a long, lonesome way to the top of the bussiness world.

You messaged him from time to time but he stopped replying a long time ago. For his own good.

But sometimes, he checked your instagram to see how you're doing. Your posts were mostly related to work. still, there were a bunch where you smiled brightly with Leo and Hakyeon.

he shut his phone and looked at the night view from his office.

"No regrets" he told himself.

......

Hakyeon arrived at the abandoned gallery were Leo proposed to you three years ago. However, this time it was remodeled with a contemporary style and was filled with people taking pictures, drinking and admiring the pieces of art placed on the white walls and the sculptures in the middle of the room covered with glass boxes.

 "well, congratulations" Chanyeol approached Leo "You're now our direct rival in art trading. My aunt is not so happy about it but still proud of you"

Both wearing black suits, hair pulled back with a more matured look on their faces.

"I couldn't have done it without your help"

"I'm just a minor investor hoping to get my money back"

Leo didn't reply and drank from the glass of wine to hide the playful grin on his lips, Chanyeol gaped and they  laughed.

"What is your girlfriend taking so long for?"

"Don't know" Leo scanned the multitude but he couldnt spot you among the crowd "I'll go look for her"

Meanwhile, you were in your office on the second floor of the building when Hakyeon knocked on the glass door. You lifted your sight from the documents on your desk.

"oh! hey..." you greeted as he placed a bottle of wine with a ribbon on you desk and sat infront of you.

"still working?"

"just the final details about the prices of the  pieces will be selling"

"Leo must be looking for you" Hakyeon took some papers to read.

"I dont think so. I'm sure he is busy greeting people. i'll go once I finish this"

The tanned guy walked around the desk and stood next you.

"Move!"

"What?"

"I'll get it done. You go change and fix that hair, don't embarrase us"

"But..."

"No buts" he almost pushed you off your chair.

You rolled your eyes but still smiled "alright. but you gotta come downstairs as soon as you finish"

"I've got more experience than you, remember? this is nothing" he scoffed.

You grabbed your dress and a bag eith your shoes and make up in it before rapidly heading to change when you were done changing and styling your hair , you headed back to your office but hakyeon was not there and almost all the lights were off. It looked kinda creeppy: the whole floor dark with only the muffed noise from the first floor. 

"Hakyeon?" 

A loud bark echoed and made you flinch.

"a dog?" you entered your office and found a small figure moving on the floor.

You lifted the small dog and someone turned the lights on. You looked around and found Leo standing next to the light switch but he was smiled at first but then his expression changed to a surprised one when he took your appearance in.

"y..y..you look beautiful" he stutter 

His blushed cheeks and the way he looked at you, made you nervous as well. not every day you got to see Leo like that, he was usually good at keeping his cool.

"Happy aniversary" he walked towards you.

"what?".

"It's today, remember?" he caresed the black puppy's head and got a waggin tail in return.

"No, it's not. It's next week, I've marked it" you wanted to look for your phone but were still holding the dog not caring about getting dog fur on your dress.

Then Leo got an idea of what was happening and his cheeks got more red that before

"I think we're mistaking the day we first kiss , with the day I asked you out" he looked away.  "we never clarified that"

"ah" you blushed harder too "I didn't want to ask something so obvious at the time. So you took for granted that we were dating with that kiss?"

"hum...but then I had to put it into words because I didn't want you to think I took you so lightly"

"I see" you nodded "then? is today or next week?" 

"why not both? we can celebrate today and next week"

"Do I get a puppy each time?" you smirked.

Leo scoffed and was about to mess with your hair but he remembered the ignauration downstairs.

"we have to get going" he said.

You nodded again and put the dog on the floor.

"see you later, okay? I'll bring you food later" you said to the dog in a childish boy. "I should think of a name...I'll ask Hakyeon or my brother for options"

"Don't. They'll come up with something with weird"

"it's okay"

you shook the hair off your dress and looked up at Leo who reached his arm out for you in the most gentleman-like way possible.

"let's go"

you placed your hand in his forearm so that you were walking arm in arm with him. He looked down at you and you could tell he was feeling accomplished in that moment.

"by the way, why did you open the gallery in our anniversary?"

"So that I'll never have an excuse to forget it" he replied with confidence.

When you were about to face the people in the first floor he stopped and without breaking your linked arms he placed his right hand hand on your shoulder before leaning and capturing your lips in a quick kiss.

"Don't you forget it too, Mysterious girl" he looked straight into your eyes with a smirk.

"I won't, user 9011" you smiled too.

And so you kept walking down the stairs, arm in arm.

 

THE END