49.

The Dragon and The Lion

Meanwhile,Leo stood in front of you nervously until you lifted your head.

"Oh, I didnt notice you, sorry..what are you doing here?"

"Hakyeon told me you were about to cut your hair really short..."

"I was but the stylist told me i shouldn't...so I just had a little make over, what do you think?"

Leo mentally thanked the woman and blushed, avoiding eye contact.

"Well, you are still you no matter the hairstyle"

You felt a little disappointed of his words but his reaction was more than enough to compensate it.

In that moment your phone started ringing, it was a call from kris.l and despite you trying to hide it from leo he was fast enough to take a glance at the screen.

'Why am i hiding it?' you thought to yourself before answering.

"Hello?"

"I need to talk to you, your brother said you were at the mall"

"Perfect. I also wanted to talk to you but I just got busy so can we meet later?"

He knew you well enough to know you were lying. All those years werent in vain after all.

"Busy?"

"I found a job. Part time"

"Dont tell me it's because of the scholarship thing"

You didnt answer.

"You know what? To hell with work, where are you now? 

righ after he said that, he turned around and spotted Hakyeon talking with the stylist and jumped to conclusions:  HAKYEON=LEO=YOU.

Leo's friend jolted as kris was storming towards him.

"This can't be good" he said to himself.

He thought that kris would start a riot demanding to know where you were but no, he entered the shop and greeted Hakyeon and the stylist with a calm demain before saying he was there to see you and without further explanation he walked towards you.

Leo and you were reading one of the magazines and complaining how you'd never manage to style your hair like that when both noticed Kris' heavy presence.

"I though you were busy" he narrowed his eyes. Ignoring Leo's glare.

"I am"

"We need to talk" he glanced at leo "in private"

The look on his face told you it was sincerely urgent but you werent capable to tell Leo to leave you alone with Kris.

"What is it?" you looked up at kris.

"I can't tell you here" he looked around and took your left hand pulling you up from your seat "lets go"

But leo took your right wrist in his hand with more than enough strenght to stop you

"What do you think you are doing" the dragon snapped at the lion.

"Uhm... I also need to talk to kris, leo"

Leo sighed and walked away, not without giving one final glare to his rival. You felt guilt stung your chest
He dragged you out infront of Leo and Hakyeon dumbfounded face. 

"I'll be right back" you quickly said to them but no one replied.

Hakyeon gasped and asked leo if he was just going to stand there but he almost choke when he saw his friend glaring away. 

"It was her choice"
......

"What do you want, kris?" You asked when he pushed you into his car at the semi dark parking lot.

"Sorry, but you are the only one i can talk to about this" he took out his phone, you noticed his hand trembling a little.

The screen showed the videos of Luhan and Charlotte he had recorded before.

"I-is that your wife?" you gasped when you recognized the guy was his best friend. 

He nodded with his eyes closed

"oh god...kris I'm sorry..." you didn't know what to say"

"Don't be. I am actually happy about it. This way everything is going on my favor, if he cheats on me then the marriage is canceled and I get to keep half of the shares"

Kris sounded so lonely yet ambitious when he said it that you couldnt help but feel bad for him. He was falling deeper and deeper into the greed of his world.

"Are you planning to publish it? Shouldn't you talk it over with her first?"

"No, if I do our parents are going to block or take it down before anyone watches it. Just like that time at the auction"

"But ... "

"Don't you see? That way I can finally be free and we could be together"

If there was something you had learned during all this time was that Kris will most likely never escape from that world unless he gives up everything.

"Kris...you shouldnt think of doing it because of me. Things are way more complicated now that you are married. Families, jobs, people are a stake here, they are not to be taken lightly. 

"I know but isnt this what we always wanted...this is our chance."

The words his father said the other night echoed on your head, he had to marry because of you.

Who were you to take away someone's happines? Kris divorce charlotte then what? More importantly, what about Leo?

"Do it"

"What" 

"Go and get a divorce"

Kris was taken aback by your sudden answer. He wanted to smile but there was something that told him it was too soon.

"But do it for your own freedom,kris. Not to defy your family, not to be with me. Become powerful enough so you can't be manipulated and to protect your loved ones"

"What are you saying?"

"We cant be together as we are now. I'm nobody and you are a mere puppet"

"I can change that, you just have to wait for me"

"I can't kris..."

"What? W-why not? You've waited all this time, then why not wait just a little bit longer"

"It doesnt have anything to do with time"

Then it hit the dragon, hurting way more harder than he thougth it would.

He gasped and looked at you as of you had commired the worst sin in the world "You love him?"

You hesitated, you didn't want kris to suffer any more.

"You are kidding,right? You can't love him" he said with a enraged voice, his chest going up and down faster with every breathe. 

"Why not?"

"Because of me. You might be dating him but you love me" his eyes got bloodshot red same as yours.

You kept quiet and thought of the less hurting words to say.

"Anyway, why did you want to talk about" he abruptly changed the subject, looking outside the car's window

"uhm... -you took out some documents from your purse- This is a contract, not a formal one but I want you to sign it "and this is the payment receipt. I transfered the money to your account, i will pay you more next month"

he took it and carefully read it until he closed his eyes and sighed.

"you don't have to pay me. not a cent"

"I want to be in debt to you or your family in the future. So, please, sign it"

"You don't want to have anything to do with me? Are you serious?"

"Its not like that... I want to keep being friends with you but that is not for me to decide"

"Friends?" Kris scoffed and hit the stering wheel with one hand "i dont want to be just friends with you"

"Then what? Am i going to be your secondhand rebound? I'm sorry I think I deserve better"

"Better like what? Like Leo? You didn't even knew him months ago and I am sure he would use you and throw you away"

"Listen, I am not going to fall into this circle again where you try to confuse me and i believe you. Just sign the damn paper and we are done"

Kris mouth hung open. Something inside him felt great dissapoinment.

"You've changed"

You nodded.yes, you had grown stronger maybe because of leo or for everything that has happened because after all, what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

"Will you be happy if I sign this?" he asked again.

"Not happy but relieved"

Kris closed his eyes and took a deep breathe before taking out a fine point pen from his jacket.

"Okay, but I don't want you to overwork yourself or to neglect your studies. I wont charge you interest for late payment or anything" he said as he signed the contract with a swift movement.

"As for the scholarship..."

"isnt it better to forget about it. after all, you dont want to do anything to do with my family anymore right?" 

then it all made sense...you had misunderstood kris all along.

"you did it for that reason"

he didnt reply, his pride wouldnt let him admit it.

"i went to my father's office today and I saw something that I think you should know about...

"what is it?" 

"my dad tried to buy Leo and made him take you abroad"

"what?!"

"he didnt tell you?"

"no. did he accept?"

and then kris battled up between being the nice guy friend he used to be (at least on his mind) or to take advantage of the situation.

......................................................................

Hello everyone!

I recently started using LINE :) you can add me if you want. My ID is m_fseiei

Sorry if i havent replied your comments I will get back to you asap!

Also, the end is near :'(