7

The Dragon and The Lion

Sunday arrived and you woke up to your brother’s messing around in the kitchen; sounds of pans and plated falling on the floor could be heard even to the second floor.

 

That’s only because it’s your birthday. the only day of the year he actually cooked for you so you laid on bed a few more minutes.

 

For you, your birthday was really important because it was the one day you could take care of everything and just enjoy yourself. That’s why you were so hurt when Kris accepted that girl’s request.

 

- Who needs Kris anyway? – you shrugged – I can have fun by myself…wooo! – you fist pumped in a lame attempt to get your spirit up.

 

Jumped off bed and opened your closet and grabbed your best outfit, it was casual but made you look pretty, and headed ti the shower where you took your time enjoying the hot water. Once you were dressed and your hair dried, you tried the “beach hair” everyone’s been talking about and to your own surprise you pulled it off at the first try.

 

- Sis! Breakfast’s ready! Move or I’ll eat it – your brother called from downstairs.

 

- I’ll be there in a minute – you answered while stepping on your shoes.

 

 The aroma of pancakes hit you when you reached the first floor and dragged you yo the kitchen where the boy was already sliding the plates on the table.

 

He looked at you with surprise.

 

- You should dress like that every day – he exclaimed.

 

- really? – you replied happily and looked at your outfit, feeling proud of your fashion sense.

 

- yep – he nodded – even Kris would look at you with different eyes – he snickered.

 

“ouch” you didn’t reply and sat at the table to eat.

 

- you really went all out , huh? – you admired the perfectly round pile of pancakes and the buttermilk and orange juice, even the milk on crystal jars. But what made your jaw fall was the huge flower bouquet on the center.

 

- H…How did you afford that? – you pointed out at the flowers.

 

- I’ve been doing some friends’ homework and the pay me really well – he shrugged.

 

You were about to scold him for doing someone else homework but let it slip since it was a smart idea of him.

 

- Happy birthday – he ambiguously said while taking a pancake.

 

- Thank you – you smiled.

 

- Are you going to hang out with Kris like every year?

 

You shook your head no

 

- He had something important to do – you covered for him, not really sure why but the little guy didn’t seem convinced.

 

- I have soccer practice until late but we can go to the movies – he shrugged again; it was an habit of him.

 

- Sounds good.

 

He left and you stayed home watching T.V; as always, there was nothing interesting on Sunday. After an hour you got fed up with everything and grabbed your purse before heading out to get some fresh air.

 

 

 

- Kris! – a high pitched voice called among the sound of heels hitting the floor – wait!

 

Kris who was stomping on the side walk stopped on his tracks.

 

- what happened? – she whined – you were fine until you looked at your phone.

 

- Nothing – he reassured but he was nervous.

 

“Damn it, I forgot today was her birthday, I thought it was next week…I’m an idiot”

 

- Sorry but… - he looked at the pretty girl in front of him – can we continue this later; I’ll take you home if you want.

 

The same girl that looked worried moments ago suddenly looked menacing

 

- What?!  - she yelled – no! if you leave me then we are over, Kris! I mean it!

 

Kris glared at her rising an eyebrow.

 

- Then goodbye, it was nice – he said and turned to walk towards his car, he was feeling bad about how that ended but no one was more important to him than you.

 

He arrived at your house and knocked on the door before pressing the doorbell multiple times before giving up and calling you but your phone was turned off since it was being repaired. He cursed under his teeth and called your brother.

 

- what’s up? – the boy answered the call.

 

-hey! It’s your sister with you? – Kris went straight to the point.

 

- no she stayed at home, she said you had plans – his voice hide an accusative tune.

 

- yeah, I did but I’m at your door and no one answers.

 

- Then she must have left. Who stays at home on their birthday? Not even her.

 

- I guess you are right. Well, I’ll try to find her…

 

- Oh! Maybe she went to get her phone back – your brother snapped.

 

Kris felt insulted at how the kid could resolve everything so quickly and he was panicking thinking you were mad at him.

 

- That’s right, thank you…I’ll buy you something later.

 

- Thanks, bro – he hung up.

 

 

 

Leo woke up to the sound of his already repaired cellphone ringing. He wanted to sleep more.

 

- if it’s not important, I’ll kill you- he said as soon as he put the call on speaker.

 

- You just wake up?!  - Hakyeon shouted on the end of the line – but its past noon!

 

- it’s Sunday, who cares if it’s past noon?

 

- I want to hang out – he recovered and cheerfully said.

 

- Then hang out by yourself – Leo yawned and stretched out.

 

Hakyeon remained silent a few seconds and then came back on the line.

 

- I’ll buy you ice cream – he chatted with a mischievous grin.

 

- Do you think I’m that cheap? Of course it’s from that place you like.

 

- Deal! – Leo immediately answered as he stood up and went to the closet to get his clothes.

 

- ok, I’ll see you at the plaza’s fountain in an hour; you better be on time or no deal, okay?

 

Leo Hummed in response and Hakyeon smiled at his success.

 

Dark colored clothes occupied the most space in Leo’s closet but a white jacket caught his attention, he took it out of the hanger and analyzed it , it was a gift from her sister but he had never wore it, maybe it was time to give it a try.

 

He arrived at the meeting place but there was no sign of his friend, he took out his cellphone to call him but he didn’t want to sound desperate, instead he plugged his earphones and listened to an R&B song while he waited sitting on the edge of the fountain

 

He looked at the people walking with shopping bags, some couples holding hands, families smiling and other people seemed too busy to pay attention to the beautiful red leaves falling off from the threes dancing in the wind before reaching the floor.

 

He continued to watch the leaves until a familiar car parked by the sidewalk getting the attention of several pedestrians as a blonde, tall guy dressed in black got out of it. Leo recognized him as the guy with the pretty girl at the school’s parking lot. Hakyeon had told him how he was a womanizer but today he was alone and looked worried, stomping in the plaza as if he was looking for someone.

 

“Not my business” Leo said to himself as he realized he had been staring for so long. His phone vibrated in his pocket; he let out an annoyed sigh thinking of how Hakyeon would make an excuse for being late. But his eyes darted to his phone, it was notification about your birthday. He rolled his eyes and placed the phone into his pocket again.

 

“But isn’t it rude to ignore it? Just a message won’t hurt, right?” It’s courtesy… No, no, no I just use this for school and it’s not like we are friends….. But I talked to her yesterday”

 

He stopped his inner battle as he saw Hakyeon waving at him.

 

- Sorry, there was a traffic jam – the elder apologized and Leo stood up frowning.

 

- What did you call me for? – he asked

 

- Nothing special – he tried to smile but Leo knew him better to realize he was just trying to escape from a family quarrel – okay, let’s go or they’ll ran out of ice cream

 

- I want a frappe oreo too… to mend for the waiting – Leo exclaimed; and Hakyeon’s mouth fell open. It was rare of his friend to say what he wanted out loud. But Leo just wanted to earn some time before Hakyeon had to go home and face his dad.

 

- Now that I think about it…there’s this store…oh! Isn’t that the girl from before, the one who broke your phone?

 

Hakyeon pointed at you from across the window’s glass of the shop you were in, literally devouring a sundae, a large size one to be exact.

 

- How sad… eating alone – hakyeon gasped at his own words that spilled before he could think – sorry, sorry…I know you like to eat alone too.

 

“So he probably was looking for her” Leo referred to Kris before.

 

- Hey Earth calling Leo! – Hakyeon waved his hand in front of his friend.

 

 --------------

 

 If this chapter gets alot of love I'll upload chapter 8 today or tomorrow morning :) hope you like it ♡