16.

The Dragon and The Lion

- Kris – you finally spoke after a long silence – you like me too, right?

He didn’t reply and just stayed still, his breathing had lowered but his fists were still clenched tightly; hi gaze piercing the wall. Minutes started to feel like hours in that silent aura.

- kris? – you pleaded.

He sighed and your heart flinched. There was no way that was going to end up well.

- Don’t make this harder,__________ - he replied with a crude tone – you know I can’t answer your feelings …

His body moved to push you away from him making your heart almost drop from your chest. He walked to the door again.

- You said you were going to find a way! – you shouted – and now you seem to have given up.

He stopped on his tracks and side eyed you; it was the first time you saw him glaring at you in that menacing way.

- What do you know? – he growled – you think I don’t spend every night trying to come up with something strong enough to make them cancel the arrangement? You think I don’t fight my father every day so maybe he gets tired and call it off? Huh?

You were at a loss of words.

- Then you can’t say you know a thing about it – he finished and walked out leaving you there standing still on weak knees.

The lump on your throat started to grow faster and tears formed in the corner of your eyes. And it was too late before you could suppress the sobs escaping your lips.

Kris walked to the parking lot, his eyes were focused in his car as he stomped in the hallway that led to it until he bumped into someone; that other person stumbled and almost fell on the ground. Kris muttered an apology without looking at him and continued his way.

Hakyeon pulled his bag on his shoulder again after glaring at Kris’ back walking away.

The blonde guy got in his car and pulled out of the school at full speed, his eyes were bloodshot red and his hands were shaking when they finally let go of the steering wheel.

- Relax, Yifan, Relax – he said to himself while breathing in and out – it’s for her own good.

“I love you” he mouthed before pressing his head against the palm of his hands.

 

You skipped the last two classes and arrived home without exactly remembering how.

The lights were off since your brother was still at school; you didn’t bother to turn them on and headed to your room to change into something more comfortable, something according your gloomy mood: pajamas.

You didn’t like dark places but this time you appreciated the absence of light in your room as you jumped to your bed and curled in a ball, remembering his cold glare, his harsh tone as he pronounced the answer to your confession.

The first time you confessed to someone in your whole life and you get shoved away by your only and best friend.

You took out your phone; no new messages or calls from Kris.

And to feed your pain you started to look on the pictures of him and you, and some you took without him noticing.

The thing you noticed the most was that he always looked cool at first glance but when you looked twice, his eyes were distant as if he was looking somewhere far away. Except in the ones he was with you; his smile was natural and there was one picture he was looking at you with tender eyes, your favorite.

A tear rolled down your cheek before you stopped your self-torture and placed your phone on the nightstand.

 

Kris arrived home and tried his best to ignore the green eyes that greeted him once he crossed the door; the girl followed to his room but he slammed the door closed before she could enter. Charlotte gasped as the door almost hit her face.

- are you okay? – She asked with a sweet voice but there was no answer to that, making her pout – I come to visit my fiancée and this is what I get…

Meanwhile inside, Kris stood in the middle of his spacious room. His chest was heaving and his eyebrows could almost touch, his eyes were still red and glossy. He stayed like that, without moving for a while until everything crashed inside him: charlotte appearing, you confessing, he shoving you.

He took the lamp on the nightstand and smashed it against the wall before pulling the blankets off the bed and throwing them away with a loud growl. He moved to his desk and pushed the chair with so much strength that it left a mark behind when it hit the door; the monitor crashed on the floor alongside all the thing that were on his desk after he fiercely swung his arm to push them.

His rage calmed down after he threw, slammed and crashed some more things.

- Kris, can I come in? – Charlotte called from behind the door.

He rolled his eyes and huffed before opening the door, and standing by the frame covering all the mess he made. She was taking aback by his disheveled look.

- What? – He harshly asked it the girl didn’t flinch as he had expected her.

She looked straight into his eyes, even frowning a little. Her green eyes were darker, a little bit menacing.

- I’m happy to be engaged to you; not that I wanted it, but it’s better than getting married to a thirty-something jerk – she admitted full of confidence but still with a sweet voice – so I can’t cancel this engagement.

She her heels and walked down the hall, leaving Kris stunned at the door.

                 

 

Leo was at school drinking a coffee and reading something on his tablet while Hakyeon was sitting next to him taking notes from the book Leo got him from the library, both seemed so concentrated. Until Leo snapped, as if he remembered something.

- I have to go to the office, today is the last day to hand in the documents – he told Hakyeon who just hummed an answer without taking his eyes away from the book.

He hurried up to the hall, where there was a long line of people holding yellow envelopes, most of them were girls, he noticed.

“She is probably here” He said to himself as he got on line before taking the envelope out of his bag and confirm all the documents were in order and signed.

All of a sudden he was conscious of every girl holding a phone on the line, but all of them just looked so boring and didn’t match the image he had expected you to look like; someone with a fiercer yet mischievous gaze.

Unconsciously, he took out his phone and gulped as he typed down.

User9011: did you submit the papers yet?

He looked up to every girl, half not wanting but half wishing a phone would ring or if it was in vibrate mode she would look to it. But sadly, no phone rang nor did a girl seem to be answering a message.

“One more time” he thought

User9011: remember today is the last day

He typed again and his gaze roamed the line and three girls held their phone up before typing and he got his phone to wait for a reply that didn’t came. He put his phone back in his pocket as the line was moving closer to the door.

You woke up at the second notification on your phone; stretching like a cat and rubbing your eyes.

- When did I fall asleep? – you mumbled.

Your eyes burst open as soon as you read the message and looked at the hour; it was half an hour before the limit time.

- Oh God! – you jumped off the bed and changed into the outfit you were wearing in the morning, brushed your teeth, combed your hair and headed out with the envelope in your hand.

You literally ran to school and by the time you crossed the school gates, out of breath, there was 15 minutes left; so you stomped to the office.

 Luckily for you there was no line and you got to the front desk immediately.

- Hi- you greeted the girl behind the counter – I’m here to submit the documents for the scholarship.

- Is everything in order and signed –she reminded you.

- Yes – you handed the envelope to her.

She opened and confirmed it again.

- Excuse me – a soft male voice called from behind you – I forgot to return this.

 Leo stood next to you and handed a pen to the girl next to the counter and he left; she smiled.

- Such honest boy – she said to no one in particular but you nodded still. Then she looked up to you and said everything was in order and you left as well.

You hurried to catch up to Leo and thank him.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________