21.

The Dragon and The Lion

“Why didn’t you say something?” Hakyeon nagged after making sure you couldn’t hear them.

“Why was I supposed to say?” Leo huffed taking a seat next to him.

“Well, anything but “it was nothing”” he mocked and Leo hit him softly on the shoulder.

“I’m not going to contact her again remember? I don’t want to become fond of her… and there’s the blonde.” His gaze was fixated on the book he just took out of the bag.

“Who cares about him?” he literally whined.

Leo turned the page.

“She does”

Hakyeon was about to say something but a tall woman carrying a portfolio and a binder interrupted him when she entered the room. She was followed by a beautiful green-eyed girl who looked frail as glass; after quietly taking some instructions from the teacher she walked towards the seat behind Leo and Hakyeon.

“Who is that?” Hakyeon whispered and Leo shrugged to answer him.

“My name is Charlotte” he reached out her hand to Hakyeon as she walked past him. Her smile was brightly and Hakyeon narrowed his eyes to properly look at her.

“Hakyeon” He greeted back with and edge on his voice while taking her hand. Leo found himself surprised by his friend’s reaction; he usually was friendly even towards strangers.

The girl sat behind them and class began and proceeded slowly than usual because the air was heavier, almost suffocating. Leo side eyed his friend several times and he always had a frown on his face.

“Jung Taekwoon?” the teacher called when class was over “I need to talk to you”

“I’ll meet to you later” Hakyeon excused himself; Leo nodded and went to the teacher.

“The main office asked us to hold a conference with the scholarship students of the arts department. It’s related to a well-known enterprise so I expect the best students to attend. I don’t know if it’s an inconvenient for you but it will be held on the neighbor town for three days so maybe you have to talk with your professors about it. ”

“Okay” Leo nodded

“You can get more information at student’s services…oh, do me a favor and tell anyone you know in the scholarship program about it, please” she asked before going out of the classroom where a deep voice called for her once she stepped out.

Leo followed behind and met a familiar face talking to the woman: Kris. Leo ignored the glare the blonde guy shot to him before looking back to the teacher.

“You just need to submit all the work before Friday” the woman explained with a forced smile before walking away.

“Oh!” charlotte called from behind Kris. He rolled his eyes and huffed before facing her.

“Don’t tell me, my father told you to transfer here”

“Actually, I planned to transfer here since before, the time just coincided. The arts program here is the best in the whole city¸ even though is a lot cheaper than my previous school” there were no hints of lies in her words.

“Oh, really? If that’s the case, don’t concern yourself with me”

“Don’t worry I’m here to study and I don’t have a reason to chase what eventually will become mine” she scoffed and walked away leaving a stunned Kris in the hall, after all, what she said was the sad truth.

“Kris!” your voice across the hall made him flinch and he slowly turned around, his face was paler than usual. “Are you alright? Did the teacher scold you?” you reached out your hand and placed it on his forehead but his temperature was normal.

He was afraid of you meeting Charlotte.

“Nothing, just let me rest a little” he huffed leaning his head against you; his mouth rested dangerously close to the space between you collar and your neck.

“Wait, Kris. We are in the middle of the hall” you stuttered as the heat on your cheeks became almost unbearable when he let out a breathy laugh and his breathe hit your skin. You could tell your face was bright red in that moment.

He smirked at your body reacting to him second thought he pushed you back in the empty classroom before closing the door behind him.

“Slowly” his mind said multiple times but he ignored it; only obeying his desire.

Kris cornered you against the wall with both of his hands resting on each side of your face, his body slightly pressing against yours, only the necessary to not squeeze you. It was then when you realized him moving his lips closer to yours; your subconscious shouted that you were going too fast and that someone might enter the room anytime but you brushed it off and your hands pressed against his chest at the same time his mouth touched your forehead momentarily before moving to both of your cheeks and making a brief pause to contemplate your eyes, as if he was asking you for permission to continue.

You nodded and his lips roughly hit yours, making you flinch. He noticed and caressed your hair with one hand in order to reassure you everything was okay; your shoulders relaxed and your hands crawled up to his neck. He didn’t break the kiss, even when he smiled against your lips giving you a small chance to catch your breath.

The bubble was broken momentarily when your phone rang loudly in your pocket. Kris and you ignored it as he placed his hand on your waist and buried his face on your neck, ready to start kissing it but the object rang again.

The guy groaned but still pulled away from you with a big frown.

“You should answer that, maybe it’s urgent” he said.

You just nodded with flushed cheeks and took your phone out. When you unlocked the screen you saw a message.

User9011: are you going to the conference?

“Is there going to be a conference?” you looked up and asked Kris, who was moving back and forth on his feet, with what you perceived as an embarrassed face.

“I’ve been absent from school, remember?

“Right” you put the phone down “Kris…” you hesitated taking a step closer to him “… about just now…”

“Sorry” he abruptly said “It’s just that I feel like running out of time and ideas to cancel the engagement. It’s suffocating me” the look on his eyes told you he really meant it.

“I’m sorry if I scared you”

You shook your head no and his facial features relaxed notably.

“I must admit it was nice” you giggled.

In that moment Kris phone rang, he took it out and immediately rolled his eyes when he saw the ID.

“What is it now?” he rudely answered and you could almost hear the sermon his father was saying behind the speaker “I’ll be there, okay?”

You hold back the urge to ask what was it about but answered as soon as he hung up.

“Something about dinner with my fiancée’s family. I have to go” he said clenching your heart tighter as he kissed your forehead and walked out.

“Oh yeah, he has a fiancée” you sarcastically reminded yourself.                       

 

“Hey” Leo called Hakyeon, who was in the usual bench surrounded by white roses; his head was down staring absent minded at the folder on his lap.

“hey, I was so concentrated I didn’t see you coming” he nervously laugh.

“you are strange”

“Me? Look who’s talking?” Hakyeon replied sarcastically and Leo just snorted.

“I mean, you’ve been acting strange since that girl appeared”

“I haven’t…” he stopped to think it thoroughly for a brief moment before replying to the black haired guy next to him. “Well, maybe I have. But it’s not that bad. That girl doesn’t know me but she is my half-sister”

Leo’s eyes narrowed a little.

“She is the daughter of my biological father. My step-father yelled it at me… you know, one of those times.” He tried to draw a smile on his face but his lips only curved up weakly. “she is the daughter of a rich man”

Leo was at a loss of words when he heard the dim sound of his phone in his bag. He was eager to answer but didn’t out of respect to his friend.

“That man doesn’t even know I exist. But I guess it’s better this way, you know how they force their sons to become their heir and that kind of things.” His smile grew wider “agh, I hate sentimental talks! Aren’t you going to answer that?” he nodded towards the phone in Leo’s pocket.

He was surprised by the sudden change of subject that it took him a minute to react and take the phone out.

 You: I’m just answering because you asked, okay? -.-

Leo: whatever just answer.

You: I don’t know anything about it.

Leo: In short, it’s a conference for smart kids. It’s going to be in the neighboring town and all expenses covered.

You: really? *o*

“She uses too much icons” he complained but still smiled so cutely that Hakyeon wanted to pinch his cheeks.

“I use them too. You just don’t use them at all” Hakyeon fired back looking down to his work.

“It’s annoying” Leo huffed and looked back to the phone.

Leo: yes. More info at students’ services.

You: I think you are more effective than them.

Leo: Thanks.

“And you said you weren’t going to talk to her again” the elder mocked Leo.

“e…th…That’s because it’s about school and she keeps talking to me. I don’t want to be rude” he was flustered than ever.

“Yeah right” Hakyeon rolled his eyes, letting out a shaky laugh.

Meanwhile, you walked towards the garden; you loved the white roses’ scent, it was good to be there when you wanted to study because you could memorize everything without problems. But it was usually crowed so you’ve been studying at the library lately; that wasn’t the case that day though; there was only a bench occupied by the now familiar pokerface of Leo.

He was looking down at his phone so he didn’t notice when you walked past them and take a seat in the last bench of the row. And you didn’t look Hakyeon softly hitting his friend with his elbow and moving his eyes “discretely” towards you. Leo quickly put his phone down, like an act of reflect.

“Should I ask?” you whispered biting your bottom lip and staring at your phone.

Hakyeon forgot discretely and was checking every movement you did; while Leo only took a glance from time to time.

“Why isn’t she typing” he nagged “Oh my! She is typing!”

Taekwoon’s phone rang immediately after he said that. He looked at your face, it was the first time he got to see your expression when you talked; it was an anxious look, he found kind of adorable the way you were biting your lips while waiting for a reply.

You: are you going?

Leo: maybe yes, maybe not. What about you?

You: maybe :P

Leo’s face lit up at the sight of your lips corners going up in an almost unnoticeable smile.

“You totally like her” his friend whispered with a playful voice, never expecting the answer he heard from Leo.

“What if I do?”

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Sometimes Hakyeon's character reminds me of Olaf from Frozen