56.

The Dragon and The Lion

Kris had slept in a hotel the next weeks. He didnt want to return to his home with charlotte or to his parent's; but avoiding them for too long wasn't the best choice, specially when there's several million on the line.

 

He blamed his father for losing you; if only the man had approved you. His son would be the happiest man on earth. But no, it didn't happen and now you went to someone else's side.

 

Someone who was able to put that worried expression on your face even without saying a word like last night.

 

He clicked his tongue frustrated and got up to take a shower before starting his day.

 

That day was going to be a long day as well.

 

First thing, his lawyer called an announced he had an appointment with Charlotte's party regarding their divorce. He confirmed his assistance.

 

Second, his father wanted to talk to him and it sounded urgent. Kris deduced he'd probably try to force him to go back to charlotte.

 

He chose to go with second thing first.

 

He arrived at his parent's home wearing all black. To his surprise, Charlotte wasn't there like he had expected.

 

The staff polietly greeted him. Including James, his buttler who he hadn't meet in a very long time.

 

"How've you been?" the middle aged man asked in a honorific tone

 

"I think you already know the answer, James"

 

The man gave him a pity smile and averted his eyes "Mrs Charlotte is here. She is waiting in the meeting room"

 

Kris felt exhausted all of a sudden, his feet got heavier as they walked down the corridor.

 

"Just endure it a bit more" he pated his younger boss' shoulder "then you can go to that girl"

 

"Breaking news james: I was dumped for a middle class, ugly, uncharismatic bastard" the dragon half smiled but it didnt reach his eyes. Somehow, dissin leo didn't lift his mood up as he'd expected.

 

He took a deep breathe when he stood infront od the door, and took a deep breathe; he just wanted his marriage drama to be over soon but that wasn't likely going to happen.

 

"James" it looked like kris was talking to the door.

 

"yes?"

 

"How did charlotte turned out like that?...so pitiful" he knew the door was soundproof so whoever was inside wouldnt hear what he said.

 

"love" the buttler answered "for his parents and for you"

 

"so I am guilty for her actions?" Kris knew the answer yet he wanted someone to confirm it.

 

"of course not, she did what she thought was best for her interests"

 

He nodded and let out a deep breathe, he had been holding since he arrived. James opened the door for him and he stepped in the room where charlotte, her lawyers and both of their families were seating at the table.

 

"Lets get to business" he murmured to himself.

 

The lawyers handed a set of documents to every one.

 

"Page number three, section three. Mrs. Charlotte kim gives her prenuptial agreement benefits up. However she gets to keep the things that were adquired during the marriage such as the apartment in the mentioned address and the shares of the mentioned corporation she bought during their marriage..."

 

Kris thought about being a jerk and say no to their offert since he had the upper hand but that'd only drag the drama more than needed and it didnt represent a big loss to the Wu empire, so he let them be.

 

Then Kris' side stated the same he proposed before: he won't accept being the child's father until proven otherwise and the kim family can keep what was theirs from the beggining. And the divorce won't be made public until the baby is born.

 

Kris signed some documents and passed them to charlotte who didnt look him in the eye even once. Unlike her parents that asked Kris 'are you sure' with every glance the took.

 

When the meeting was over, everyone stepped out of the room with their backs feeling heavier; everyone but charlotte she was still at the table spacing out, she told her parents to go first because she had to calm down a little.

 

Her now soon to be ex-husband looked back at her pitiful sillouete and noticed howher hands were together and her thumbs were nervously fidgeting.

 

"Charlotte..." he stood behind her.

 

"did you forget something?" she answered after an instant of silence but didn't turn to face him.

 

"you should go, your parents are waiting"

 

"since we are over, I can't be in your house?"

 

"there was never 'we'. You knew it since the beginning"

 

"I knew it" she sounded defeated "but I didn't expected to end like this"

 

"Me neither but this is all because for you, remember?"

 

"The only thing I regret is having luhan involved in something like this. He is a good man, unlike you"

 

"only that? what about you baby? he is going to grow up without knowing his father and I dont think your parent will ever love him or her"

 

Charlotte stayed quiet and inmobile only btting her lower lip.

 

"Charlotte?" the brown haired guy took the seat next to her and leaned closer to see her face.

 

Her clear eyes were bloodshot red and her lips her pressed so hard together that they lost their color.

 

"hey!" kris,scared, shook her shoulder "what's wrong?"

 

He didn't expect her to take the divorce that bad. she sobbed a few times and when she finally could breathe again Charlotte looked at him straight into his eyes.

 

"Kris" she slowly said.

 

It was one of the few times she called him by his name, it was always 'you' or  'hey'

 

"there ..." she sobbed "there is...no baby"

 

kris felt his whole body going cold "eh?" was all he could pronounce.

 

"there was never a baby to begin with" she covered her face with her hands "I'm sorry...but I had to do it for both's sake"

 

"both? luhan and yours?"

 

"yours and mine"

 

"what nonsense are you ...?"

 

"remember when we first met?" his stylish demain was gone, kris loked as confused as he could.

 

kris tried to look back and the picture of the party where he met you too, appeared in his mind.

 

"during middle school, at the company's party"

 

she smiled dissapointed "you don't remember, as I thought..." she sighed.

 

He tried to recall a time before that but he couldn't .

 

"nevermind" she said "the thing is... you gave luhan money to go away, right? but he didnt. he is been in this city this whole time. Luhan used part of that money to brive the lab where i took the pregnancy test. He knew all along that I was using him and was okay with it"