31.

The Dragon and The Lion

"What?" You asked your brother who just told you about spending Christmas with his friends, even though you always celebrate at home with Kris. But now he was a teenager and obviously wanted some freedom. Time sure flies

"yeah. Think of it this way you'll be able to spend Christmas with him alone, I won't be in your way"

" I never thought you were in the way" you made a pause and sighed "but you can go with your friends, just made sure to be home early"

Yes, you hadnt tell him about the distance you've been keeping from kris lately but he might have figured it out. Also, you had plans with a friend as well, Leo.
Both agreed to meet at the ice ring at the plaza that day, even though neither of you knew ice skating.

You found yourself surprised at how easy and fluent was talking to him, just as if you had known him since years ago even if you knew almost nothing about him. And he barely knew you.

Two days passed without incidents, Kris didnt show up at school at all, same as his fiancée, the teachers didnt ask about it so they should've know already the reason behind their absence, unlike you, who just let your thoughts run wild imagine every kind of scenario between them until your phone buzzing brought you back to reality.

User9011: Don't space out in the middle of the garden!

You look left and right searching for Leo but he was nowhere in sight.

You: Im not :O Im studying.

User9011: liar

You looked around again.

You: stalker much?

User9011: Its not my fault that you are always near me. Stop following me

You: XD Are you ready to stamp your face on the ice?

User9011: that’s going to be such a handsome stamp kekeke

You: whatever *rollseyes*

Leo laughed softly because you actually rolled your eyes while typing it. He was watching you from the second floor but was unintentionally hidden by a wall.

User9011: I want it to be Christmas already

You felt your cheeks getting hot all of a sudden and for a moment stopped thinking. 
Three messages were deleted before you finally decided to reply honestly...

You: me too :)

And to be honest, all the sadness and pain you were having because of Kris disappeared in that moment.

Meanwhile, Kris was in front of a large mirror, both arms lifted to his sides while two assistants fixed the luxurious tuxedo's sleeves. He had darker circles under his eyes and the frown didnt seem to ever leave his face.

"Magnifique" the stylist in charge of his attire clapped his hands in approval " I think you are the most handsome groom Ive seen" he said before lowering his voice "not the happiest, though"

"you think?" Kris answered with sarcasm while raising an eyebrow.

The man gulped down in fear and was speechless for a split second

"your girlfriend is also beautiful, she was here yesterday" he nervously talked.

"yeah she is"

She is not my girlfriend, though.

After he left the place he went to Charlotte's home to give her a gift from his mother  and as soon as he stepped in, he heard a ruckus coming from behind her dad's studio. They were arguing, something unseen for a family that looked perfect.

" dont even think about bringing your bastard here!" Mrs kim yelled loudly "our daughter is the legitimate heiress of this family. She is going to marry Kris for you"

"charlotte will marry into the Wu family for her own sake!"

Kris moved closer to hear clearer what they were talking about. And then he heard his fiancee cry

"mother, stop!"

"Do you think she can be fine by herself? She can do nothing, she is not smart. She is just pretty" the man scoffed and kris felt the urge to be in there and punch him.

"If she doesn’t marry Yi Fan she will marry Mr. Park. Do you want that huh?"

Both women gasped.

Kris remembered what she told him about not wanting to marry an old man and understood what she meant. A trace of pity appeared on Kris conscience, she was almost in the same position as him, they could not oppose their parents.

"You know he is a pig!" The older woman complained.

"I don’t care about that, he is as powerful as Mr. Wu" charlotte's father answered with no remorse.

It was then that an idea crossed his mind for a moment and he felt sick and ashamed of himself a second later. But it was the last resource he had, no matter if he his conscience got dirty.

He backed away slowly and got off the mansion as quiet as possible. Once in the car he dialed a number on his phone.

“Hello?” his friend answered.

“Luhan, I have something in mind”

“Well, that’s new” the boy answered sarcastically.

“I’m serious. Your uhmm…girlfriend…. is Mr. Park’s assistance, right?” he asked one hand on phone and one on the steering wheel. No time to use the hand-free.

“Yes, so?”

“I need and appointment with him. It’s urgent… no, it’s a life or death matter”

“Tell me what it is first”

“He will marry Charlotte and I’ll be free”

“WHAT? You got to be kidding, it’s like you are sending her to hell”

“I don’t care. If it’s for ___________. I’ll do whatever it takes” Kris answered, his voice didn’t falter at his choice of words.

Luhan made a pause and sighed while massaging his temples.

“You know he was accused of … , last year?”

The wheels of Kris’ car screeched on the street as it stopped all of a sudden. He clearly had no idea the man could be such a monster. Then he questioned himself: was he a capable of condemning a girl who is just being used by his father to a life of suffering? Was his own happiness more important than that?.

“Are you still there?! Kris!” Luhan shouted in panic because he only got to hear the screech.

 “Yeah, I’m still here” your friend huffed “Why didn’t I know about it?”

“He bribed the police, of course. Also…” he made another long pause “the only thing that stopped him from taking Charlotte, was that her mother begged your family to engage her to you so that he would not be able to destroy them”

“… because our empire is as strong as his” Kris finished the sentence “oh, God…” kris brushed his hand with his hand.

“Do you still want me to make an appointment?”

The now dark haired boy looked away for a moment weighing his options until he finally came to a conclusion. If he married her you'll be safe and your family's future would be secured and Charlotte's too, he'd had to sacrifice his own happines for both of you.

“No, I don’t… I’ll see you at the wedding” he huffed; his word burned his throat and eyes.

“You don’t have to…”

“No, I really do have to”

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HELLLLOOOOOO!

I'll be updating again soon! :D I decided that this story will be probably aprox. 50 chapter long! SO I hope you don't get bored hehehe >.<

DON'T BE A GHOST READER! COMMENT AND UPVOTE!