6

The Dragon and The Lion

 

You entered the library and walked towards the design section looking for a book the teacher has asked you to resolve some questions from; it was due to next week but you decided to get it done before time.

You scanned the book shelf and found something that could be useful but not exactly the book you were looking for. Maybe the librarian could help.

- Excuse me, do you know where can I find “Theory of Color”. I can’t find it but the professor told me it was on the library.

The glasses girl told you to wait a moment and she scanned the register book, sliding her finger down the pages until she stopped.

- There it is – she exclaimed and looked up to you – someone just took it a few minutes ago, no wonder the name sounded familiar.

- oh, really?  Do you have a copy or something?

Someone stepped next to you and placed a book on the counter.

- I’ll take this one home – a soft voice said.

You looked at the book’s cover and it was “Theory of Color”. You clicked your tongue to avoid swearing, then you looked up to see if he was one of your classmates but instead you meet a familiar face; a pale and expressionless face. As if he had felt being stared at he looked down to see you (your head barely reached his shoulder height). He recognized you and nodded politely, you greeted back but he averted his gaze leaving no chance to talk to him; you wanted to tell him about your phone and he wanted to tell you about his too but neither of you spoke..

“You shouldn’t get close to him” you recalled your classmate’s words. But now that you had seen him up-close he didn’t seem that scary to you.

After a few seconds of awkward silence waiting for the librarian to fill the form he finally took the book and left

 

Kris didn’t show up for the rest of the day, that girl was really ruining his career but what would he even care, his family was the one who donate the most money to the school, he can’t flunk a year. Even though he said he wanted to go against his family will of an arranged marriage, he still liked the fact that his family was one of the richest families in the country. There’s no helping it; he grew up being like that. Getting everything he wanted.

You arrived home and ordered pizza, since you were so disheartened to cook something and didn’t feel like arguing with your brother about food. Of course he agreed immediately and called the pizzeria instantly.

After a hot bath, you finally relaxed a little but now you were feeling sleepier than before, you logged into your personal account and received and inbox from Kris that reads “sorry, I couldn’t contact you earlier because you don’t have phone. Are you sure you don’t want to do something this weekend?”

You read it twice before starting typing “ Of course I want to…” but after a little thought you pressed backspace.

- I wish I was little bit selfish – you exhaled and logged out without replying, he must know you saw his message because “seen at…”. He had done that to you before; he had seen your message but still wouldn’t reply because he was too busy with some girl.

You contemplated the idea of going to bed after feeling the pain in your eyes of being too much time in front of the computer but you knew that if went to sleep you’d just end up rolling around and thinking about Kris.

You logged in again but now with your school account just to block user9011, but changed your mind when you saw a message from him.

User9011: I think you should go ask about the scholarship on Monday

In less than a minute you replied:

Why? Did they have the lists already? Did you get it?

Apparently he was online as he replied really quickly. Just like you, he seemed to be one of those people who don’t wait to reply just to make it look like they have something else to do.

User9011: I heard the lists arrive on Monday. Good luck.

You: OMG! Thank you so much. If I ever meet you, I’ll treat you to a good coffee shop.

User9011:  I’m not interested; I use this for school purposes only. Why did you even add me as a friend?

You: it wasn’t me it was – you started typing “brother” but deleted it in order to not give information about yourself – someone else who went into my account. And you accepted it! Are you a loner?

User 9011:  I’d think what you’re saying is a lie but since someone else accepted the request too, I’ll believe you. I’m not a loner but you must be… being online at this hour on a Friday night… how sad…

You: I’m a girl so it’s not uncommon – you carefully chose your words – but you are a guy so it’s even sadder…

User9011: Who said I’m a guy?

You: you just did.

Both grinned in front of the monitor. You suddenly felt wide awake and even forgot the incident with Kris for a moment.

User9011: Touché… I guess.

You: I knew it! Wow, it’s rare for a guy to be applying for a scholarship based on academics.

Used9011: Well, it depends on what kind of people do you hang around with

Kris face popped up in your mind alongside with his luxurious car and beautiful harem and you mentally laughed.

- Should I ask his name? – you mumbled, but your conscience answered you “no”

You: well, some people just have it easier. We have to try harder in order to get what we want.

You typed before you could actually think and now it was too late to be embarrassed. When Leo read the message, his expression became softer; beside Hakyeon he hadn’t met someone with the same mentality as him.

User9011: just our luck I guess.

You: I really love our school but being around too many rich kids can be frustrating…P.S. If you are rich just ignore this.

User 9011: I’m not rich. And to me, it’s not frustrating it’s more like “annoying”. They don’t know the value of things and take everything for granted. After all, their future is granted.

You: yes, it’s annoying. I guess I somehow envy them.

User9011: Maybe you are right.

You: but I’d rather be alone or having just one friend than being hypocrite.

User9011: same…

Even thought you felt great talking about it, it was still strange talking to a stranger about it so you decided to change the subject.

You: So you are a first year? – you typed.

User9011: yes and you? – he replied within seconds.

“He is being pretty nice” you thought, raising your eyebrows.

You: I’m a sophomore. What is your major?

User9011: I don’t want to answer that.

“I take back what I just thought”

You yawned and stretched out and realized that even you didn’t want to sleep, you really needed to rest.

You: Well, I have to go.

User9011: me too. It was nice talking to you.

He type down and pressed “enter” before he could actually realize what he just send. He cursed under his teeth and took the palm of his hand to his face.

- Did he just write that? – you read it twice before closing your mouth that just hung open – Maybe I misjudge him.

You: yep, thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

User9011: see ya.

“yep” he snorted and his lips involuntarily formed a smile.

 

 

 

______________________________________________________________________________

How do you like the story so far? I want to know your opinion