35.

The Dragon and The Lion

I recommend you to listen while reading:

-Your Guardian Angel Lyrics - The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus

-All I need – Within temptation

-Congratulations – Day6

- Unravel (acoustic) – Tokyo ghoul opening

- tell me you love me – boy epic

- My Escape - Ravenscode

- Goodbye, my lover – James blunt

-Like I'm gonna lose you - Meghan Trainor

 

35

The alarm clock rang loudly marking the start of a new day; as usual you crawled on your bed to reach it and turn it off, then stretched like a cat and scratched your head.

After a shower you applied your light make up and combed your hair into a high bun, you looked at yourself in the mirror and smiled, not like you were the prettiest girl in the world but you were not ugly and lately you were feeling prettier thanks to a certain friend.

'You have to look prettier that the bride herself' Hakyeon had said

How could you compete against a top class beauty like Charlotte? That day was different; you woke up with a boost of self esteem, as if you could turn every head in the world without effort or that everything you planned would go on without incident.

But deep inside a little crack in your confidence wall was hiding.

That day was the day that would decide whatever was going to happen between you and Kris.

As usual you ate breakfast with your younger brother, a middle school boy who was your only relative left after your parents died in an accident years ago.

"Are you going to the salon?" he asked while biting a toast

"Don’t talk with your mouth full!" you scolded and he shrugged.

"Did you get your suit ready?"

"I'm not going” he mumbled still devouring the bread "I don't want to watch him ruining his life and yours"

It was pointless to argue with him about it, so you just brush it off with a nod.

You ate half you usually eat to avoid a bump in your stomach even though there were still plenty of hours before the event.

“Are you okay?" You brother asked out of nowhere

"mmm? what?"

“Don’t play dumb! You know what I'm talking about!" his voice came out higher than he expected, surprising both.

"I'm fine" you tried your best to sound natural but he wasn’t fooled.

"If you say so" he shrugged.

After finishing breakfast you went back to your room and took the beige lace dress from the closet along with a pair of heels of the same color.

When you sent a picture to Leo and Hakyeon the first one just answered with a thumbs up emoji while the latter squealed trough the phone with compliments about how perfect it was and how you looked pretty with your hair curled.

In the mean time Hakyeon stared at his phone, still waiting for his father reply. Didn't he care about being exposed? About his beloved daughter image? The anxiety was piling up very fast.

He jerked when the phone's screen and it vibrated on the table. It showed a photo of a poker faced Leo next to him who had a big smile.

“Are you ready?" N asked

“Me?" Leo asked on the other side of the speaker " Isn't it you who is accompanying her?

"Yes, I'll be sitting next to her but you have to be by her side, you know... emotionally" Hakyeon's voice sounded deeper Leo noticed.

"What do you intend to do, Hakyeon?"

“I’ll tell you just because it is today" N heaved a sigh "remember that I told you that girl with the pretty eyes is my half sister, well she isn't. She is my father's step or foster daughter..."

Taekwoon had a bad feeling about where that was going to.

"I ... blackmailed him to cancel the wedding"

Leo's sigh was heard loudly in the speaker; he wanted to snap at his best friend but he held it.

"So? What did he say?"

"Haven’t heard from him. He probably thinks I won't do it but he underestimates my power" he forced a laugh.

"You don’t have to do this. You don't even know her that much. I will manage things on my own"

“You don’t understand. I’m doing it for you. Take it as a payback for stepping up for me that day; you became feared and isolated by everyone because of me"

"Hakyeon..."

A knock on N's door was heard.

"I have to go"

"Hey"

"See ya, Leo"

After he ended the call, the beautifully tanned boy's eyes grow twice their size as he opened the door.

"May I come in?" the man in suit asked. he was tall, just like his son, giving him an intimidating aura but it didn’t look like he wanted to fight.

"So you finally made a choice, huh?" he didn’t reply or moved to allow him to enter.

"I've come to make things clear between us. Is your mother home?"

"She is not. But you don't have to talk to her just tell me what your choice is"

The man looked straight into his son's eyes and could see himself in a younger version.

"I married my current wife because of an arranged marriage, but before that I loved your mother, she was one of my best friends when I was in high school"

The expression in Hakyeon’s face clearly showed that he didn’t know a thing about it; all his time he thought he was born out of a one night stand.

"But I couldn't stand against my parents. No... I was a coward that didn't want to give up on a comfortable life and I left her"

Images of his mother struggling and also fighting with his husband flashed in Hakyeon's mind and it took everything on him not to hit the man in front of him.

"I didn't know about you until you were five years old and we had already adopted Charlotte. My wife suffered from poor health so we could never had a child"

"I don't want to have a heart to heart with you father. Just tell me, are you going to cancel her engagement or not?" Hakyeon spoke trough clenched teeth.

Mr. Kim raised his hand to continue his talk.

"I wanted to take you with me but your mother did the same you are doing now. She threatened me with revealing I had a lover and my I don't think my wife could bear with the pressure"

"You are saying that if I reveal it, then your wife could die, aren't you?"

The man nodded.

"So you want to save your wife but you are going to get your daughter together with a man that doesn’t lover her?" Hakyeon scoffed "Not so kind from you"

"The thing is ... that I don't regret my choice. I'm glad I accepted my fate and I want Charlotte to live a comfortable life. And I know Kris is a good man even if he doesn’t love her."

Hakyeon felt nauseous, the rage blurred his field of vision and for a moment he was about to lose his cool. For a second he forgot what kind of man his father was and wanted to believe he wasn’t that much of a greed monster.

"In the bright sight, I'll let you, my biological son have a free life"

Hakyeon on his teeth.

The choice was already made.

"Take him" the man ordered as two tall and built men in suits appeared behind him.

---------

Kris and Charlotte were in their lawyer's office, there were a set of document for each one on the wooden desk.

"We can't afford to wait for Mr. Kim any longer; if you'd like we can reschedule the appointment" the middle aged man in suit and tie said from the other side of the desk.

"Just five minutes" Mr. Wu said in a not very polite tone; he wasn't asking, he was demanding.

Just in time, the door opened and Mr. Kim stepped in apologizing for the late arrival.

"Well, then let's set the terms of prenuptial contract" the lawyer announced

The man proceeded to explain but Kris just couldn't pay attention to it; it was as if only his body was there, he absent mindedly looked at everyone's faces. His father and Mr. Kim nodded at one of the clauses but Charlotte objected to one.

"What is it about? I don't care. Just get this over with" he said to himself.

His eyes were on the documents but his mind was in your room, thinking about what you were going to dress or what your hairstyle was. Were you having breakfast with your brother or were you out with Leo, forgetting about him.

"Is she even attending the wedding? I hope not"

He took a glance at charlotte, how could she manage to look so confident? Even capable to change the thing that she didn’t like about the contract? Well, she was always smarter than him. It was then that Kris realized her hands were trembling from time to time.

As an act of reflect his hand moved to rest on hers; surprising every person in the room, including himself. But no one said a word they just continued reading the contract.

He wanted to reassure her that everything was going to be okay and that she wasn't alone. He felt sorry towards themselves.

When the lecture was about to end; Kris had an epiphany.

"I want to and a term" he spoke up” this contract will be terminated if any of the contractors have an extra matrimonial relationship"

Both of their parents gasped loudly at his statement but they didn’t have time to protest.

"Sounds fine to me" Charlotte said but then lowered her voice so only Kris could hear her “hope this doesn't backfire right back at you"

Kris looked down at her but didn’t reply and only signed the contract

.............

You looked twice to finally assimilate the magnanimous church that you were about to enter. The said building was crowded with glamorous people arriving in fancy cars they were surrounded by the media once they stepped out, everyone didn’t seem to appreciate the beautiful big flower arrangements aligning towards the church's doors.

"What a waste of money" a voice behind you made you jump

“Whoa!" You covered your mouth "hey"

"Sorry" Leo giggled and patted your head "are you ready?"

He was dressed casually; a long sleeved with shirt and navy blue pants, still he looked like a picture out of a fashion magazine.

"I don’t know" you looked around "where is Hakyeon?"

"Don’t know. I thought he was going to be here first. Let me call him"

He took out his phone and dialed his friend's number, only to be answered by the voicemail.

He tried calling again three times but Hakyeon wouldn’t pick up the phone.

You noticed Leo getting tense and a faint frown drawing on his face. You bit your tongue to stop yourself from asking the obvious and changed your words.

"You should go get him"

"No, he'd want me to be here"

"Go, we still have some time before the ceremony starts" you lied the best you could.

He didn’t buy it. Yet, he let out a loud sigh and patted your head again.

"Take this" you handed the invitation to him "you'll need it to pass the security"

"I’ll be right back" he dragged the words as well as his feet.

You watched his broad back quickly disappearing into the crowd and turned around to face the church again. This time you sighed.

A sudden uproar startled you and made your eyes move the source of it almost immediately. And as soon as they found it, you wish they hadn’t.

Kris was stepping out from his luxurious brand new car, the way only him could, with the charm of an on-duty model and the demeanor of a business CEO; he shone, literally, in that black tux and his black hair pulled back from his face. He was surrounded by reporters in a second but he ignored them, letting his bodyguards to take them away.

You let out a breath you didn’t knew you were holding but you mentally slapped yourself and hide behind one of the floral ornaments just as he started to walk into the church.

He scanned the place briefly but he didn’t found you, he sighed but you couldn’t know if it was out of relief or sadness.

You were able to take a seat on a bench in the very back of the church once that it started to get crowded.

You couldn’t avert your eyes from Kris who was still standing at the altar; his hands were on his back balancing himself on his toes and heels clearly death nervous. A few steps from him two bodyguards were standing at his side not allowing anyone to get close.

His father and Mr. Kim stood next to him to say something that made him glare at them for a second but he nodded dismissing the men before his eyes grew wider than ever looking towards the door.

The nuptial march started playing and you knew the reason behind his reaction. Everyone turned around to witness the beautiful bride walking down the aisle. Her face was partially hidden behind the white silk veil, and you couldn’t stop your heart from clenching out of envy.

Her carefully embroidered dress was so long that it dragged almost two meters behind her and the flowers she held in her hands were just a few but they were beautiful enough to know each one was probably more expensive than the dress you were wearing.

You felt bad for wanting to ruin her wedding for a moment.

Also, for not having Leo or Hakyeon by your side then.

The priest started the ceremony after Mr. Kim left his daughter with Kris. He took a glance at her and she smiled at him; you forgot how to breathe when he smiled back. Being the only one who knew Kris smiling face was one of the things you were proud of.

"That could have been me" the thought invaded your mind

........

Leo arrived at Hakyeon's to find a man in suit standing in front of the door; he reached out his hand to stop Leo from walking any further.

"My friend lives here"

"You cannot see him today"

"What?" Leo complained "what did you do to him?" he grabbed the man by the collar of his shirt but was quickly shoved away by him.

"Get lost" the man said.

Leo charged against him again, this time with more strength making the tall man - but Leo was equally tall - stumble a little. He took the chance and hurried inside the apartment.

he found Hakyeon sitting on the living room with a cloudy expression, across the room was standing another man dressed in black. Relief washed over Leo when he noticed his friend was unharmed.

"Leo?!" he jumped off the couch, his jaw almost falling to the floor "what are you doing here?!"

He then took a glance to the thug; so that Leo knew they couldnt talk about the wedding.

"You didn’t answer my calls so I got annoyed"

"Worried?" Hakyeon's eyebrows wiggled

"Annoyed. Anyway, who are they?"

The man glared at Leo and Leo glared back.

"My father's men. I'm grounded just for today; can't play with you"

"Are you going to be okay?" concern was clear in Leo's voice.

Hakyeon nodded and Leo looked trying to find a sign of weakness in him but there was none so he quietly left.

"Leo!" Hakyeon called before he crossed the door. Leo looked back confused "Be selfish"

Without saying a word Leo closed the door behind him, walking past the glaring man that tried to stop him first.

.......

Kris removed the veil from his fiancée’s face when the vows were to be said. He took her small hands in his, looking straight into her eyes.

"I take you, Charlotte Kim to be my partner. I promise to live truthfully with you, to respect you and support you in everything you do. And to communicate fully and fearlessly, until death tear us apart"

Charlotte smiled at him, truly accomplished before talking

"I take you, Kris Wu, as my husband. To respect you, to love you unconditionally and be your ally in the good times and the bad times until death tear us apart"

“Kris Wu do you take Charlotte Kim to be your Wife? Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect her, forsaking all others and holding only unto her?"

The words felt like being stabbed in the heart, you clenched your fist and suppressed the need to escape from that place.

Kris closed his eyes for a brief moment before looking to the crowd. To make things worse he spotted you and held your gaze for another second.

You closed your eyes but had to open them when he was taking too long to reply. He was looking towards the door again but this time his face paled like if he had see his worst nightmare in the flesh, You followed Kris' line of vision to find Leo standing by the door looking at Kris; reaching out his hand in your behalf.

It happened so fast and quietly that people barely noticed but for you it felt like an eternity.

Kris shook his head no, gulping before looking back at Charlotte with clouded eyes.

"I do" he sighed.

Leo hurried to your side for he saw in your face that you could break any moment. He silently sat next to you and his heart clenched tightly when he saw you were trembling and your eyes started to get bloodshot red and glossy. Without a second thought he wrapped your fisted hand in his.

“Charlotte Kim do you take Kris Wu to be your Husband?”

"I do". She answered without hesitation

“Do you promise to love, honor, cherish and protect him, forsaking all others and holding only unto him?”

"I do"

"By the power vested in me I now pronounce you Husband and Wife. You may kiss your bride"

Everyone in the church cheered loudly when Kris bended to press his lips against her; giving a final look in your direction.

You felt dizzy and couldn’t hear a thing besides the pounding of your heart against your chest.

Leo noticed the color draining from your face. With both hands on your cheeks he made you turn your head to face him.

“Just look at me” he said.

It was already over.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I was so sad when I finished it

In other news: 

I made a video for this fanfic. please watch it and leave a comment :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWdjUsuh8ak

Did you like the mini playlist I made?

I'M GOING TO BIG BANG'S CONCEEEEERTTTT!! :D