29.

The Dragon and The Lion

“oh, hey! Good evening” he scoffed “Can you put that girl on the phone? What was her name? Whatever she was really good”

“W…wh…” you couldn’t even form a simple phrase, your throat was completely tied and your lips trembled.

“why?” he let out a breathy laugh “you are in no place to ask. Now tell me, how does it feel? Do you feel like you heart’s being ripped apart, like the air had abandoned the room or do you see everything black like me?” he clenched his teeth; his voice was hoarse, obviously trying to hold back his anger. But he clearly described the way you had been feeling during all those days, thanks to him.

You leaned against the wall, mentally picking up all the pieces of your heart and remembering yourself that he was the one who turn the situation like this. Yes, you wanted to him to think that you slept with Leo just to hurt his feelings but never considered it would be that much so you let go of your pride for once and took a deep breath.

“K…kris, listen, I didn’t …I didn’t do it with him” you stated as firm as possible; his lips parted a little bit and he placed the phone closer to his ears to confirm he heard you clearly.

“Why would I believe you?” he scoffed again, this time louder “I guess women are all the same”

That was enough to boil your blood; you took a deep breath and started to talk your heart out

“I don’t care if you don’t; the one who is not in place to talk is you. We are like this because you didn’t want to give up on your fortune and if it wasn’t for him I would be dead right now meanwhile you get married to some rich that I’m sure will never get to love you like I do and you will never be happy and guess what? You earned it yourself Kris!”

You heard him gasp before hanging up the phone. It was the first time you had talked to him like that and your conscience was a mix of emotions between satisfaction and regret.

He kept staring at the street as if it had been emptied before him, he heard nothing around until the phone starting buzzing again.

“What?!” he shout as soon as he took the call.

“oooh, that’s how you treat your friend after so long” a male voice echoed on the line “chill, man”

Kris rolled his eyes, he asked himself why did he took the call.

“What do you want, Luhan? Make it fast, I don’t want to talk right now”

“You didn’t even notice me at the conference” the boy continued “but that was quite a show… I mean, I’ve never imagine you could treat her so cold like you did”

“you were there? Sorry I was busy. And you know Charlotte can be a…. nuisance if she wants. I can’t do nothing against her father but she won’t have her way with me.

“I’m not talking about Charlotte”

Kris felt silent, hesitating about telling him. Luhan, being Kris’ bestfriend since kinder garden knew him quite well to know when there was something going on. He was different from all the elite guys that surrounded them; his family’s corporation was built not long before he was born so Luhan understood what hardwork meant and that made him a down to earth person.

“Since I’m in town, do you want to go for a drink?”

….

“Are you sure she is lying?” Luhan asked before taking a sip from his drink

“No” kris shook the drinking glass held between his fingers.

His friend sighed and frowned like he was thinking if saying it was the right choice.

“Then you shouldn’t have talked to her like that, she doesn’t look like a girl who would desperately get in bed just to take revenge on you”

The blonde man felt like being backstabbed for a moment but Luhan was telling the truth. A truth he already knew since long ago deep inside him, but the mess his life had been turned into didn’t allowed him to think straight and to add to that, there was Leo’s imminent treat.

“I know but I was mad and blinded by rage because of that dammed bastard” he cleared his throat

“oh, I didn’t know that She had another guy other than you” Luhan’s brow arched up.

“she met him in a chat group or something like that. I didnt think she would actually meet him, dont even talk spending the night with him.

Again, Luhan hesitated about talking his mind out but this time he did not.

- You weren’t clear about your feelings and didn’t cancel the engage. Don’t expect her to wait forever.

“You are officially engaged now, Kris” he finally said “you should have had stopped it before it was public. Every news outlet and tabloid is talking about it as we speak”

“If I did my father, and charlotte’s father would have gone after her” he frowned “She has no one to protect her except me”

“Did you ever think about giving up your fortune and stay by her side?”

“Of course I did, when i was in high school I ran away from home but I'm the only heir so they dragged me back and that day she told me some men were trying to break into her house. I told her they were thieves, not my father’s men looking for me.

“Well, that's intense. So there's no way out, unless you marry charlotte” The ice started to melt on Luhan’s drink.

- I don’t hate charlotte but, she has a misconception about the world, the real world. She had been trapped in her golden cage for too long so any other way of living is wrong to her.

- I heard she didn’t go to school until grade 12. Maybe that’s why she is a total …” he left the last word lingering

- It’s true, she is being taught by private tutors up till now and she has no friends” he shrugged.

“ for her but what are you going to do now? Are you going to wait for her to apologize for something she didn’t do? Or are you going to eat your pride and get her back?

“You already know the answer” Kris grinned at his friend who just took another drink and shrugged.

 

 

The way back to your town was comfortably quiet between you and Leo; sometimes you glanced at him without him noticing and vice versa. He took out his phone and started typing; his gaze was fixated on the screen and his frown relaxed when he smiled. You finally got to see the face he had when texting you (little did you know it didn’t look like that at all).

“What?” he caught you staring at him.

“N..nothing. I wasn’t looking at you” you cheeks were bright red and your voice came out higher than you wanted.

“We’re almost there” he announced while looking out of the window.

“Finally” you huffed “I just want to get home and sleep”

“yes, it’s been a long trip” he referred to everything that happened.

The words you said to Kris were still burning your throat.

“Sure it was”

 

Leo insisted in walking you home but you wanted some space to process everything and get some fresh air. You took the longest path to your house from school and walked as slow as possible kicking a pebble on the way.

“hey!” your brother called you from the other side of the street, he was heading back home too from school with his soccer bag in his hand.

“did you miss me?” you sarcastically smiled.

“of course not” he shrugged and crossed the street to meet you “I’ve had a lot of fun, even with all the security that bro’ placed around our house?”

“Security?” your brow curved up.

“Yes, there’s been men watching over the house. I thought they were following me but they just stay around the house”

 

Once you stepped in your room, you dialed Kris number; he didn’t answer until the fifth try. You looked outside your window on the second floor and spotted the suspicious car parked a street away.

“Hello” he sounded asleep, as if he just woke up.

“What are those men in a black car loitering outside my home” your voice was harsh and demanding.

“what are you talking about?” he somewhat expected you to talk about the incident with his roommate but it was a totally different matter.

“are you sure you don’t know”

“I’m sure –he paused and sighed heavily –those are my father’s or Charlotte’s men, I’m sure. Wait up, I’m heading over there now”

There sounds of him opening cabinets until he took the phone again.

“Have tried to hurt you or something?”

“No….also, don’t come. You’ll only worsen things up if something happen I’ll call the cops” you closed the curtains and walked the staircase down to verify the door was properly locked.

“How can I stay put when my annoying fiancée is harassing the woman I love?” he said it coolly, no hesitation on his voice as if it was an absolute truth.

“So now I’m the woman you love? You weren’t saying that last night” you scoffed.

Kris felt like being kicked in the face.

“I know I won’t ever be sorry enough for what I said but that’s just how much I love you, I lost my head at the thought of you…you know, being with another man”

Your cheeks heated up and a pathetic smile invaded your face for a second before it disappeared.

“That means you don’t trust me enough”

“I’m sorry” he breathed “I’m going”

You looked up and sighed; that circle of apologies and making up had to be stopped for the sake of both. If he wanted to stop his marriage it had to be for him, not for you.

“Don’t, Kris. I don’t want to get involved in your world anymore; I cannot keep waiting for you either. I’m tired. I want to go back to be just friends like before, before your engagement, without being worried all the time of the days passing by and the date when you get married getting closer and closer” you could not stops the sobs any longer. “I miss the days when I just hoped you would look at me and say that you liked me”

He gulped the lump forming on his throat, hearing you cry was one of his few weaknesses.

“Are you sure you want that?” he choked “then let’s go back to being friends, I’m sorry for everything..I really am”

 

When he ended the call he turned around to the closed door. He noticed a shadow showing under its frame. He scoffed and walked to it; his fist impacted against it; his knuckles turned white and he clenched his teeth.

“Are you happy now, father?” he roared but there was no answer.

On the other side of the door was Charlotte standing, her hand was covering to prevent her from gasping. Her eyes were wide with regret.

 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

YAYYY!!! Double update today!! (I updated BLANK too)

I appreciate everyone's comments I'll try to reply the tonight.

I was talking with my friend (she is not into kpop but she read my fics XD) and we started to imagine how would it be if they made "Giving up on you" into a drama. What would Leo, Hongbin and Hyuk's reaction to it? I think they'll be very shocked and blushing all the time.

We also talked about adding some M-rated scenes to the dragon and the Lion, but I've never written so I don't know how it might turn out. How would you like that?

if you have some edits of my fics you can share it with me on tumblr: lifeisnotafanfic.tumblr.com

My current obsession is Healer!!! ♥♥♥

THANK YOU!! YOU ARE THE BEST!