8

The Dragon and The Lion

 

Let's go! - Hakyeon dragged Leo to the cake shop you were in and ordered what Leo wanted first and then Hakyeon ordered chocolate short cake You were verifying that your phone was fixed properly, randomly pressing the screen and opening some apps while digging the spoon in the sundae and taking it to your mouth when the phone rang several times before you picked up.

- hey! Where are you? - Kris said on the other side of the line - I've been looking for you like crazy - it wasn't hard to tell he had been running or walking at a fast pace because he sounded out of breathe.

- i went to get my phone - you replied neutral as you didn’t want to sound happy that he was looking for you or angry cause he had forgotten your birthday.

- i just left there... Where are you? - his voice had a little desperate tune hiding behind his usual coolness. You rolled your eyes.

- why? - you snorted - I thought you had plans with your "girlfriend"... – you gestured the quotation mark on the air making really evident that you were mad.

He sighed and stopped at the center of the plaza and turned 180 degrees so maybe he could find you but there was no trace of you.

- Listen, I know I was wrong...but it wasn’t like I forgot about you birthday, i don’t know what day I live in...It’s been complicated and crazy about the engagement...I’m sorry - you knew he wasn’t lying but your pride overpowered your reason.

- don't worry Kris I’m not angry at you - you were but not enough to hurt your only and best friend - I’m okay... We'll celebrate any other day, okay - you smiled as if he could see you.

- then it's going to be meaningless! - he shouted loud enough to make you get the phone away of your ears.

The thought of forgive him crossed your mind, but it was necessary to not give up on that moment or he would continue to play around again and not give you enough importance.

You hung up in the middle of your mental debate.

 Kris roared cursing under his teeth and ruffled his hair in an attack of anxiety getting a few glimpses from the people around the place. He called again but you ignored it again.

Meanwhile, two tables across from yours, Hakyeon and Leo were talking about the upcoming exams. The elder's back was facing you while Leo could clearly see you staring out the window while eating absent minded before you left the shop with a gloomy expression.

Minutes later Kris entered and roamed the whole place looking for you. Instead, his gaze met Leo's for a second and then looked away.

- What was that? - Hakyeon asked tiling his head to the side - do you know him? 

Leo shook his head no and took another sip of his frappe

- Maybe he remembered us from school...since I’m quite famous - he said nonchalantly and Hakyeon couldn’t help but pity his friend.

- You are not guilty about that - the rest of the phrase lingered on his lips as he saw Leo glaring at him - ok,ok I get it...

The atmosphere became awkward; both guys remained silent for a while. Just when Leo was about to finish his frappe, he decided to talk.

- Say, Hakyeon, i have this friend who has this acquaintance that is celebrating her birthday and doesn’t know of he should send her a message or not because they had only talk once and he doesn’t want her to get the wrong idea.

"You are so simple" Hakyeon chuckled silently.

- But wouldn’t it be rude to ignore it? - Hakyeon answered taking a spoonful of his ice cream.

- Right?! I thought so too

- Just send.... I mean he should send it!

- you are right I’ll tell him...later - Leo half smiled, satisfied that he had asked Hakyeon about it knowing he would tell him exactly what he needs and not asking too much about it.

Is she who I think it is? Wait, when did the talk? How come I don’t know about it? Those kind of thoughts invaded Hakyeon's mind but he just continued eating his ice cream.

 

You walked around some shops and bought some presents for yourself and even a pair of soccer shoes for your brother because you thought the mismatched color (blue and pink) was strangely cute. Your phone vibrated and it was a message from your brother saying the practice dragged on longer and he wouldn't be able to make it on time for the movies.

the sky started to get different shades of red and started announcing that night was about to come and you decided to go home.

Even if you spend it alone, it was a really comforting and relaxing birthday so you weren’t depressed at the thought. The only thing that made you a little bit sad was that you hung up Kris' call and you didn’t like to be rude to anyone.

By the time you arrived home it was already dark and the dim lights of the porch were shining on a boy sitting on the doorstep with his head on his hands and a red roses bouquet and a fancy box from a famous cake shop on his sides. The scene was depressing yet beautiful.

- Kris? - You softly asked and walked towards him; he slowly looked up at you. His eyes were puffy; he probably fell asleep while waiting for you.

He stood up grabbing the roses with him and gave it to you.

- Happy birthday,__________ - he smiled a happy smile but with an apologetic gaze.

You were at a loss of words cause you had expected him to go home and maybe tomorrow, he'd give you some present. But no, he was there just like you dreamed but never thought it'd come true.

You hugged him tighter than expected and smiled at him but his eyes had acquired a dark and unknown appearance, you felt weak and shy at his gaze.

Your phone rang in the same moment he was leaning towards you, you unconsciously moved away and took it out of your pocket. Little did you know that Kris looked away embarrassed of what he was about to do, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck.

A new message.

User9011: Happy birthday

---------------------------------------------------

Thank you for your comments :)