40.

The Dragon and The Lion

Leo had been in the phone for 5 minutes until he ended the call and walked to your table his face showed a slight smile that he suddenly hid when he noticed you were looking at him.

"Uhm... Sorry, I know this is sudden but I have to go" he scratched the back of his neck and didn’t make eye contact

The sharp pain your heart again

"Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, there is something I need to take care of. So I have to go"

You wanted to ask but where you in a position to? No. You just rejected him not so long ago so you had no right to ask a thing.

"Okay" you nodded taking an awkward sip from your coffee. As awkward as his smile as when walked out.

You spaced out for a second and missed the time he turned around before he reached the door and walked back at you.

"Hey...” he startled you but when you saw his face it startled even more "want to help me?" He was blushing at the same time he smiled shyly.

Was it that bad? You asked yourself.

“Of course" you replied without a second thought.

When You and Leo were driving on his car, the nerves were eating both of you up so he tried to light up the atmosphere turning up some music but it only got worse when a random R&B song about two friends that slept together and couldn’t be friends after that played on the radio. He had a mental breakdown but immediately changed it to a ballad that talked about lost love, then he remembered your situation with Kris and changed it again to an inoffensive cute song sung by a girl group and finally the awful aura in the car faded away.

You looked at him, his eyes focused on the road but his fingers tapping on the steering wheel. The music on the background didn’t match his appearance at all, you found it very funny.

“Do you like that kind of songs?" You asked innocently.

“No" he killed the mood.

"Oh"

You shifted back on your seat uncomfortably and looked out the window.

“Do you?" He asked, trying to make it right again. You were pouting and didn’t answer, he thought you didn’t hear him and asked again.

"No" you used the same tone as him before. Looking at him from the corner of your eyes, then something suddenly caught your attention; his phone was connected to his car's stereo. Your lips curved in a wide grin as you sent him an accusative look.

“What?" He didn’t avert his eyes from the road but he felt your eyes on him.

“Then why is it on your phone?" You wiggled your eyebrows, having the upper hand sure felt great.

“we are here" he quickly changed the subject; looking away to hide his embarrassed face.

You scanned the house in front of you, it was almost the same size as yours but it had a patio and a small brick fence, either the person that lived there had a good style or it was custom designed. Since you were distracted, Leo took the chance and hurried to open your door like a gentleman.

“Where are we?" You asked, after thanking him.

“my sister's house" he announced “she wanted to

“So, that pretty girl on your phone..." You asked out loud.

He smiled and narrowed his eyes "what? You saw?"

"It wasn’t intentional, okay?. It just caught my attention that you were so close to a girl, you don’t look like that kind of guy"

Leo was amused by your reaction because not long ago he would have thought you didn’t care about him at all

"Were you jealous?" he smirked

Were you?

"Maybe...as a friend"

He didn't answer but 'as a friend' was enough for him at the moment.

The pretty girl on the photo opened the door after Leo rang the door bell a few times more than necessary. She greeted him with a smiled that widened when she saw you. An obvious look was sent to her little brother but he avoided right away.

"Hi, I'm Taekwoonie's older sister" she smiled warmly at you and Leo blushed at the mention of his name, the glance he gave her begged for her to leave quickly. For a moment you wondered how she was the opposite of Leo.

"I'm Le...Taekwoon's friend from college"

"Please, come in" she moved her hand to guide you inside.

"Where’s he?" Leo softly asked.

"he is sleeping right now. I already left the baby's bottle prepared in case you need it" she said as she grabbed her keys and purse from the table "well; you already know what to do"

And with that you both were left alone in the living room. He started walking to a room as if he had forgotten you were there.

"So...what are we here for, again?" you asked awkwardly.

"AH, yeah. I forgot, sorry. My sister wanted me to babysit my nephew because she had an appointment or something" he scratched the back of his neck.

"oh so that's why you needed my help' you said out loud

"no. Actually I wanted to spend more time with you" he admitted shyly

you couldn’t help but blush at his confession but before you could say something he got in the room to check on the baby. You followed him after a moment.

The image you saw caught you completely off guard; Leo was watching the little baby sleeping on his crib with a warm smile on his face, just like a father would look at his son. he took a blanket and tuck him with extreme care trying not to wake his nephew up.

And he finally noticed you standing by the door admiring the scene.
This time he didn’t look embarrassed or shy, like being like that was natural for him.

He gestured for you to stand next to him and you to see the little boy sleeping soundly. He was chubby and had pink cheeks; his tiny hands were covered in soft gloves.

"He is so cute" you squealed and Leo smiled, agreeing with you with a nod "how old is he?"

"Six months" Leo answered "can't wait for him to be old enough to teach him how to play soccer" he sounded like a proud father.

"How old is that?"

"As soon as he starts to walk" he joked.

You left the room so that the baby could rest properly but left the door open and even grabbed the baby's monitor just in case he woke up.

"You know how in horror movies there's always scary noises coming out from these things" he remarked with a smug grin on his face.

"Don't even mention it! It’s one of my childhood traumas" you covered your ears for a moment but then relaxed "So what do we do now?"

"I don’t know, didn’t think that far" he shrugged

"Let's watch a movie but this time I choose"

"No horror movies though"

"You don't like them?"

"I-it's for the baby, I don’t want to wake him up!" he flushed and you snickered.

"Ok, for the baby"

You started watching a comedy but Leo's nephew started crying right after the start so you had to pause it. Leo didn’t complaint at all and went to see him; you followed him just in case he needed your help

You expected him to be panicking but no; He was skillfully holding the baby in his arms as he tried soothing him as he pats his back.

“I think he is hungry" Leo said and you remembered the bottle his sister left just in case.

You went to the fridge to get it and then warmed it on the microwave for a second before testing it wasn’t too hot and hurried back to Leo who was moving from side to side of the room like a caged lion with the baby in his arms.

He immediately gave the bottle to his nephew and he finally calmed down a little. You remained silent with only the sound of Leo humming a lullaby filling the room.

It was a beautiful scene, indeed.

But the boy didn’t go back to sleep even after he finished eating he was wide awake. By that time you thought Leo must have been tired even though he wouldn’t say it.

"Let me help you" you extended your arms and Leo passed the baby to you. He stretched his arms that had been in the same position for a while.

You went to the living room and sat on the sofa and started talking to the baby in a high pitched voice, you were rewarded with a big smile not only from him but also from Leo.

You continued doing it until you heard a loud snap.

"Dammit, I forgot to mute it" Leo was holding his phone up towards you.

"Delete it" your cheeks were bright red and Leo was enjoying it. He shook his head no and then agreed.

"Okay okay" he tapped on his phone but he didn’t deleted it "done"

"Poor you, you have a very evil uncle" you pouted to the smiling baby while playing with his little arms "I bet you'll get Spartan training as soon as you start to walk"

"Hey! Don't try to get my nephew against me" Leo tried to sound angry but his laughter gave him away.

The afternoon went by between jokes, playing and trying to calm the baby every time he cried. Of course Leo was better than you at that.

His sister came back when it was getting dark so he volunteered to get you home and you didn’t refuse it.

Your brother was already home from soccer practice and he ordered pizza saying he was too tired to cook something.

You grabbed two slices and headed to your room, decided to catch up with your missed classes.

When you opened you email, there was notification from school. It said your tutoring fees had been covered until you graduated from school.

And there was only one way that could happen, more like one person who had the money to do something like that...