3

The Dragon and The Lion

 “I think I like you” he said

“Are you crazy?” you said “Do you think I’m that easy? You just got engaged!”

You woke up at the sound of your alarm, your eyelids felt heavier than usual as a consequence to being so into that dream. More exactly; a memory.

- You got such bad timing, Kris – you mumbled – hurry up and cancel your engagement.

 You hurried up and tied your hair in a ponytail, since it was Saturday you had to make breakfast for your brother who had soccer practice on weekends, his dream was to become a professional player and you supported him cause sports usually motivate discipline and strong will, that was enough to keep him away from drugs, alcohol and those stuff.

When you got out of you room, you heard the water noise in the shower. So you had to hurry up to make the omelets you promised to him last night. Fortunately you had been getting more practice in the fine art of cooking so you confidently made it on time, before your brother walked downstairs on his practice outfit and backpack in hand.

- Smells good – he inhaled – for being something cooked by you.

- You underestimate my power, kiddo – you said facing the stove – set the table, please.

He obeyed and placed the orange juice and two glasses on the wooden table. Then the doorbell rang, he looked at you.

- are you waiting for someone? – he raised his eyebrows.

You shook your head and he went to open the door.

- Oh, bro! – your brother said out loud. You turned your head and watched his smiling face. There was only one person he called “bro” and could make him grin like that…

- Come in, Kris – you rolled your eyes and walked to the fridge to get extra ingredients.

He walked through the door and your brother followed him like he was watching some kind of deity.

- No cheese, please – he said nonchalantly as he took a sit in front of your brother. You shoot a killing glare to him.

- are you serious? – You asked exasperated. Kris nodded with a mischievous half-smile, leaving you no choice but to do as he said while he got in touch with your brother, they most likely talked about video games, girls (of course you averted your attention on that part) and soccer.

- I should have known it was you because no one except you visit my sister.

- is that so? – Kris asked amused.

- Of course, she is the antisocial type – he lowered his voice but you still could hear him.

- Hey! I’m the diplomatic type – you raised your voice up – No personal interactions, okay?

The two boys laughed hard. You walked towards them and tossed the plates to the table.

- Whatever. Just eat and leave! – you grumbled and sat next to your brother, facing your blonde friend; finally taken a proper look at his expensive looking outfit and perfect hairstyle.

A few minutes later, the younger boy left in a hurry because he stayed talking to Kris for too long. He offered to give him a ride to the training park but he refused saying it was close.

“ I don’t want to be in the middle” he thought without you or Kris noticing.

You were washing the dishes and Kris getting the juice back to the fridge, both in silence until you finally broke it.

- So what did you come for?

Kris stayed silence, a habit he had when he didn’t want to answer that things were bad on his home.

 - Is it about your fiancée?

You kept moving your hands to lather the dishes; you heard the fridge’s door closing but no answer from him. Instead, you felt his presence getting closer to you; something in your mind told you not to look back.

Kris reached out to your shoulder; his hand was trembling a few centimeters away from touching your skin. You felt his warm and tried to look from the corner of your eye but couldn’t see anything without moving your head; you felt your breathing pace cracking out of nervousness and you hands almost dropped the glass you were grabbing.

A notification popped up in your phone that was on the table. You felt relieved but at the same time you dammed it.

- K-Kris, can you bring me my phone please? – you tried to control your voice.

It was when you heard his footsteps getting away that you decided to turn around and face his back walking towards the table. You couldn’t see his troubled face.

“What was that?” you thought

“ Dammit! Control yourself, Kris” he thought

He took the phone and gave it to you, who was drying you hands in a piece of fabric.

You looked up to him but his expression was neutral, like what just happened was a delusion from you. But you ignored it as well and just checked the FB message you just got.

It was from a high school classmate inviting you to a reunion.

- Oh look! We are invited – you almost shoved the phone on his face. He narrowed his eyes to focus the little word on the screen.

- Do you want to go? – he asked.

- Not really but it’s not like I have something else to do…so, why not? – you shrugged.

 

 

- yah! Leo! – Hakyeon yelled at him – pay attention when I’m talking to you.

- Sorry, I have a lot of homework to do before going to work; the school’s fee is due to next week and I just got half of it - he answered with his soft voice making it sound more worried than he was.

Hakyeon looked at his friend and sighed.

- Don’t worry. I’ll tell you, like a hundred times you can rely on me when you need it. – he patted his head, earning a weak glare from Leo.

- And I told you, like a hundred times, I don’t want your help.

- Better being my slave than being kicked out of school, right? – Hakyeon mocked him and resumed the game he was playing on his phone – Can’t you find what you are looking for?

Leo nodded. Then N reacted like something just hit his mind.

- Why don’t you ask your mysterious rival?

- Rival? – Leo turned to him.

- Yes, since you both are trying to get that scholarship – he didn’t stop playing.

- You mean that girl? I told you I wasn’t texting again – Leo frowned.

- It’d save you some time… I mean “a lot of time” – N exaggerated the last words.

Leo ignored him for a bit, but after considering it, he assumed his friend wasn’t that wrong. He growled inside and reached out to get his phone.

- I love it when I’m right – Hakyeon winked at him and Leo rolled his eyes and started typing like crazy.

User9011: By any chance, do you have a synthesis of the first three chapters of the book The frog asked for? I heard she always ask first year students about it but I can’t find it!

You were heading to the reunion with Kris when your phone rang, you immediately took it out and saw the message.

You: who is The Frog? O_O

User9011: Mrs. Norman. I think it’s about her eyes.

You couldn’t help but burst into laughter making Kris look at you with widened eyes.

- What? – he asked looking back to the front, as he kept driving.

- Did you know they called Mrs. Norman, The frog?

Kris had the same reaction as you but kept his cool after a blink. A new message popped up.

User9011: Do you have it or not?

- Looks like it’s urgent – you mumbled.

You: yes, but I’ll send it to you when I’m home.

User9011: Thank you.

You: No problem. Be sure you’re not caught by The Frog XD

User9011: I thought everyone called her that.

“So it’s a first year, huh?” you thought

You: Must be something you freshmen just came up with. These kids nowadays…

 

- What did she said? – Hakyeon asked with a bright smile and shining eyes.

- She will send it – Leo mumbled, trying to not admit being defeated by his friend.

- So she is older than us?

Leo glared at Hakyeon but he had already turned his attention to his phone.

- aren’t you a little too interested?

- Just because it’s fun.

 

After the gathering with your old classmates, Kris dropped you home before it got dark saying he had something to do at home. Once there he was received by his father fist hitting as hard as he could on his cheek. Kris stumbled a little but regained his balance by leaning on the door’s frame.

- Why are you doing this to us?! – The aged man yelled at his son.

- Do what? – Kris asked with the most rebellious look he could show.

- You ashamed us in front of your fiancée’s family. Do you know how much did she wait?

- I don’t think they lasted a whole hour…

The man was cut off word as his son was right.

- How many times, do I have to say I don’t want that marriage! – Now it was Kris turn to yell – I can take care of the family business by myself!

- What are you saying? – the man scoffed – if it wasn’t for your engagement to that girl, there wouldn’t even be “family business” right now… Perhaps, are you seeing someone? Is it that girl? – he referred to you.

- No – Kris immediately answered.

“If I say I do, you’ll probably make her disappear. That’s why I have to control myself now”