18.

The Dragon and The Lion

- What is it? – Hakyeon asked when his friend returned to their place. He showed the object.

- She forgot her phone – Leo said as he was already taking a step to follow you.

Once he got out of the shop he looked to every side but you were nowhere to be found so  he returned inside after a moments.

- You found her? – Hakyeon asked

Leo shook his head no and his friend twisted his lips in a displaced face.

- I’ll call the last number dialed – the dark hired guy explained as he took a seat.

- okay – Hakyeon nodded.

He proceeded but after a few tries, a frown appeared on his face.

- It has a PIN Code – he huffed.

- Well, I’ll return it if I see her again – he put the phone on his bag and resumed his attack on the cake in front of him.

- Or keep it – Hakyeon said with a mischievous grin on his face.

- That old thing? Mine is ten times better – Leo scoffed, almost chocking on the cake.

You expected Kris to follow you but that wasn't the case, you couldn’t resist looking back as soon as you crossed the street only to find he wasn’t there behind you like you had expected him to.

Your heart throbbed in pain but you ignored it.

"I need to move on, I decided that I won’t let him believe he can hurt me and expect everything to be alright"

Little did you know your friend and not-so unrequited love was looking at you from afar with saddened eyes and clenched fists

"Great, looks like she is alright" he silently said and sighed "in the end I couldn’t even approach her"

He took his phone out and pressed number one to call you. Your phone rang on Leo's bag, he immediately took it out.

- She realized faster than expected - Hakyeon giggled.

The frown reappeared on Leo's face as he saw the picture on the screen: Kris and you glaring playfully at each other.

Hakyeon stuck out his head to see the reason behind his friend reaction and he recognized the blonde boy.

- Why don’t you answer? She could be calling from his phone

- I don’t think so, you just saw what happened - he replied.

The call stopped and the voice mail went off but it started ringing again almost immediately.

- Just answer - the elder suggested and Leo huffed sliding his finger on the screen.

- Hello? - Kris voice called from the speaker.

- hello, I found this phone on the coffee shop in front of school, don't worry I will return it to its owner -he stated and hung up Ignoring the voice protesting on the end of the line.

Hakyeon lips parted in a surprised grimace and Leo slightly smirked.

- Serves him right - he said.

The tanned skin boy shifted on his chair and cleared his throat.

- changing the subject. What do you think she looks like - he raised an eyebrow but had to explain as his friend seemed to be focusing on the pastry - I'm talking about mysterious girl?

- Oh, well, It's not like I want her to look like that but I think she would immediately give a lively yet sturdy look. Like she doesn’t look like the type of girl that tries her best to get a scholarship.

 -You just smiled - Hakyeon pointed out, making his friend's cheeks blush in a blink

- No, I didn't

- Yes, you did - he teased - but what if she ends up being someone totally different from what you think.

- You are trying to say: what if she is ugly, aren't you? Well it's not like I have feelings for her...yet.

- Yet?! - Hakyeon gasped.

- She has a good personality. That's a good start

Leo looked away marking the end of the topic.

 

It had been 3 days since then, you missed school without regrets because you had good fame among the teachers and they would allow you to hand in the work if you explained you were on a medical leave or something like that.

Even though you said you were going to get over Kris, it was easier said than done; you weren’t really ready to face him face to face yet. To make things worse, you had lost your phone and had been with no communication until now but you started to believe maybe it was some cosmical signal telling you to not contact him anymore.

- Aren’t you going to school again? – Your brother called by the door

- No. Have a nice day – you gather up all your strength to make a healthy tone of voice.

You didn’t saw your brother rolling his eyes behind the door and mumbling something about you being a weird drama queen. He dragged his feet to the door and when he opened it he wasn’t that surprised to find Kris standing on the porch with a concerned expression.

- How is she? – The blonde asked trying to sound less desperate than he was.

- Didn’t see her but I don’t think she is better than yesterday – you brother glared at him before relaxing his shoulders and sigh – bro, what did you do to her? She has barely eaten anything and the dark circles under her eyes are no joke – his eyes narrowed.

Kris couldn’t say a thing to defend himself; he only endured his heart stinging in his chest at the sight of the younger boy, who he considered as a younger brother, painfully explaining your condition.

- You should go and see her – the boy patted Kris on the shoulder before leaving.

 He looked inside the house, somehow, it seemed like all the color and happiness had been drained away from it. After considering it for a minute, he finally stepped in and took a deep breath before walking up the staircase to the second floor where your room was.

The echo of his steps tortured his ears every time he stepped on a stair until he reached your room’s door. He let out a sigh he didn’t realize he was holding. What was he going to say? What would you say?.

He didn’t have that much of a chance to think as the door opened right in front of him, reveling a shredded you; he immediately note you had lost some pounds and your skin was awfully pale making the dark circles under your puffy eyes more notorious. He could swear his heart almost stopped, so did yours.

You gasped and pushed the door closed with all your strength, but it was stopped midway by his hand.

- wait! – he shouted frantically as you pushed the door harder. You discovered you were stronger that you and he thought when it almost entirely closed and squashed his hand. He cryout in pain and you gasped.

- are you okay? – the words escaped like a breathe through your lips before you could think.

Kris tried his best to hold back a smile. He didn’t plan it but maybe overreacting it ended up being better than he expected.

- Yeah, it’s not broken…I think – he applied pressure on the wounded hand before looking up and locking eyes with you.

- I’ll bring some ice – you averted your gaze from his and moved to walk out of the room.

He only needed to stretch out his leg a little to slam it close, you turned around half surprised but half glaring at him.

- What are you doing?

- Leave the ice for later, we are going to talk – he demanded.

- No, we are not

His attitude quickly got to your nerves and you walked back to the door but he had his foot on it, making you unable to open it. You rolled your eyes and huffed. He was amused, almost having fun seeing you throwing at tantrum for the first time since you met.

- Leave, Kris. We have nothing to talk. – You fired back as fiercely as him.

- We do have a lot to talk – he sounded like cynic but his eyes said otherwise.

You finally gave up after a strong fight of glares and a mental breakdown from considering all the possibilities that conversation could lead you to.

- Just forget what I said – you said collapsing on the edge of your bed – I shouldn’t have said it in the first place.

- No… - he tried to apologize but the words were stuck on his throat.

- I confessed and you shoved me – you looked at your feet to hide the tears b on your eyes –worst rejection ever – you cleared your throat and sobbed - I really didn’t see that coming.

- I’m an idiot – he stood in front of you. His fingers tugging at the end of his shirt and his eyes looking down at you – you must hate right now.

- Absolutely – you accused.

Kris heart leaped while yours stung with regret. The room fell silent for the next ten minutes until he broke the silent.

- Since when have you liked me? – he asked cautious, voice lowering down an octave.

- Does it matter now? – you huffed and hide your face in your hands, resting your elbows on your thighs.

- It does… I’m trying to set things right – he said and meant it.

- They can be set right now. What is done is done, all that is left is to do is move on and get over this feelings and find my own happiness. That, I’m sure I will – you exclaimed with your face in your hands.

- What? – he asked out of breathe as if he just got a jab on his stomach.

- I will move on Kris. And if it answers your question: I’ve liked you almost since the day I met you.

In other circumstances, he would have felt so full of himself but he could felt his pride being stepped on.

- So you are not forgiving me? So we are done from this day on? – he asked in despair, his voice holding an edge.

You clenched your fist on your thighs and pressed your lips in a line, not daring to look up at him.

- Answer me – he pleaded.

- You are in no place to tell me what to do. Not anymore.

- I’m sorry but this is the only way I can show how desperate I am for you to forgive me. I’m about to lose my mind and you are not making things any better – he raised his voice but still kept calm – what can I do to make you forgive me?

He squatted until his face was almost at the same level than yours.

- I need time, Kris. I have to assimilate it and only time can ease my pain.

Your eyes grew wider and your mind went blank when he pulled closer and wrapped his arms around your so tightly that it was hard to keep breathing for a second. His chin rested on your shoulder and one of his hands caressed your hair softly.

- I don’t want time to ease your pain, I want to do it.

- Kris… - you breathed moving your hand to his back.

- I don’t want you to move on. – he tightened the hug, his hands were slightly shaking - I want you to keep falling for me, to blush every time you catch me looking at you and even taking pictures of me secretly; to scold me every time I’m wrong and being my one and only accomplice.

He pulled away but kept his hands on your shoulders and looked straight into your eyes.

- Can you please forgive me?

You tried to change the subject and avert your gaze but he didn’t allow you to. His eyes were piercing through you and the way he nervously gulped gave his true feelings away. He waited, basically on his knees until you finally nodded.

His lips curved in the happiest smile on his face and his shoulders relaxed visibly before he forcefully pulled you into another hug, this time stronger.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Whoo!!! I'm fangirling XD
I hope you enjoyed this chapter! This one was most likely about Kris but you'll get to read more about Leo in the next one!

I didn't want to drag the problem for too long so that the story can proceed smoothly. Besides, this story isn't as dramatic as Giving up on You.

Thank for all you comments and support!