17.

The Dragon and The Lion

You spotted him right away, walking in the empty hall with his earphones on.

- hey! – you raised your voice, maybe he could have heard you if the music wasn’t loud but he didn’t seem to have, so you walked faster until you could tap lightly on his shoulder.

He turned around and looked at you with a surprised expression.

- huh? – What was the first thing he said while taking his earbuds off.

You met his piercing, dark eyes and you felt like a little girl.

- eeem … thank you… - your fingers fidgeted at your sides.

- About what? – Plainly asked

- About…you know… this morning at the library – you looked away embarrassed by the way he seemed to be looking through you unintentionally.

He recalled the incident and then looked back at you.

- oh, that? I just did what had to be done –he replied with a neutral voice, not bragging nor scoffing like you had expected a guy to act.

- But you not anyone would have done it. So, I wanted to thank you properly.

- And you seemed to be okay with that… - he referred to you saying it was okay. You felt like being smacked really hard on your head.

- It... it wasn’t like that… - you lowered your gaze to your feet, embarrassed to admit he was right.

- Okay…it was nothing. Don’t get in trouble again – a soft smirk flashed on his face for a brief second before he turned around to continue his way.

You stayed there stunned looking at his back. Would he really be capable of hitting a teacher?

“You shouldn’t get near him”

You shook your head to brush off the thought and looked at your phone to answer the messages User9011 sent you before. It would be disrespectful from you to not reply shortly after he reminded you such an important thing.

 

Leo returned to the school’s patio where he was previously sitting with Hakyeon, who was still reading the book and taking notes until he felt Leo and looked up at him.

- Did you make it on time? –the brown haired guy asked

- of course – Leo bragged.

- Did you meet her?

Leo looked as if he was having a mental jam trying to find the right words to say and still hide his disappointment. He failed big time, his face gave him away.

- Ash! Just when I thought you would … - Hakyeon whined – why don’t you just ask her to send you a picture of herself?

- Hell no! – Leo shouted – I would look like a ert and she’ll end up blocking me!

- Then you send her one – his friend shrugged looking back to the book.

- No way.

Leo took out his tablet and resumed his homework before his phone notifications went off.

User3021: yes, I did. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Hakyeon side-eyed watched his friend stare at his phone with a playful smile.

- Just ask her already – he said.

The black haired guy glared at him.

- She probably thinks I am a guy who spends his hours studying, has an impeccable record and went to a good school. Which I am not.

- You talk as if you are scum – Hakyeon’s voice was lower and his eyes slightly narrowed.

- I am… in everyone’s eyes – he answered distant as if his mind was traveling to the past.

- Not in mine.

Leo ignored his friend and started to type.

User9011: I think that was the last thing to submit. It was nice talking to you but from now on, don’t message me again.

He sighed and tucked his phone in his pocket after turning off the notification’s alert.

 

You stopped in your tracks in the middle of the hall while holding your phone in your hand.

- What the… - you huffed – did I say something wrong? Well, he is right; we don’t have a reason to keep in touch but…

You: Why? – you typed but stopped right before pressing “send”

You understood something when you finished typing: you just thought you were the one wrong. Always acting like a good girl and trying to put up a smile even though they had just stepped on you, usually blaming yourself when they were the ones at wrong. You were fed up with trying to understand everyone’s reasons and hiding your true emotions. And everyone you mostly referred to Kris.

That was the straw that broke the camel.

You: fine. Thanks for everything up until now.

You walked out of school towards the coffee shop in front of it, the one you loved but never dared to walk in alone because you couldn’t afford it unless it was Kris’ treat.

“I don’t need Kris” You said to yourself while pushing the door open.

 

Kris was laid on his bed trying to cover the light with his forearm as he was looking to the ceiling. It had only been a few hours but he looked like he hadn’t drank or eaten for days and didn’t sleep for night.

“I should have taken her before this” the thought had been crossing his mind several times, torturing him each time more than the one before that along with your face in the moment he shoved you. Your lips slightly opened, your eyes getting moist while your eyebrows arched up in the most hurt look he had ever seen on you. His heart leaped back then.

“She must be crying right now – he pressed his forearm harder against his eyes –should  I call her brother to check on her?“

He took his phone from the night stand and dialed. Your brother answered at the second ring.

- Hey, is your sister home? – he said as soon as the call started. His voice held and edge but he didn’t care, all he wanted was to know about you.

- No, she is not here. Did something happen? – your brother asked.

- No… can I ask you a favor?

- Sure– your brother hesitated - what is it?

- can you call me as soon as she gets home? But don’t tell her I called you – kris asked but it sounded more like a plea.

- Okay - the younger guy sighed – bro, you should stop playing around someone might steal my idiot sister away – he warned and hang up the phone.

- I know – kris mumbled even though your brother couldn’t hear him.

Minutes that felt like hours later he received a text from the boy telling that you just called and said you were eating an expensive cake. Kris replied thanking him.

He looked at his phone displaying a picture of you he snatched on your birthday without you noticing. You were looking at the cake smiling with your eyes closed, the candles lighting your face even more gave it a warm effect that made him adore the shot even more.

- As if I would let someone else look at her like this – he growled and headed out, ignoring the green-eyed girl calling him as he crossed the front door.

“You just broke her heart, Kris. How are you supposed to look at her now?” His subconscious attacked but he fired back “I’ll figure it out then”

 

Hakyeon closed the book and stood up.

- Let’s go eat something! My treat! – he said while stretching out.

Leo nodded and placed his tablet on his bag before standing up and walking beside his friend.

- Where are we going? – he asked

- The café in front of school – Hakyeon replied with a proud smile – I feel like spending money.

They arrived and took a seat a few tables away from you. Leo looked at you but you were unaware of it because your eyes were focused on the pastry before you.

After a few chat and whines from Hakyeon asking Leo to tell him about his progress with you, he finally answered with details about how he told you to stop messaging him.

- You did what? – Hakyeon yelled.

- As I said… I don’t want to get too involved with her – Leo explained with an absent look.

- Or more you don’t want her to get involved with you – he corrected and Leo surprisingly nodded agreeing with his friend – because you care for her.

 

Hakyeon was about to say something else but was cut off by the image of the flashing blonde guy silently entering the shop and taking a seat at the table behind them with his gaze fixated on you. Leo’s body unconsciously got in alert at the thought of something similar to that morning could happen.

He followed the path of Kris’ eyes and found you still looking down at the almost untouched cake unaware of the three men eyeing you.

- A lovers’ quarrel? – Hakyeon mouthed to Leo, who just shrugged.

 

“She is fine” Kris sighed relieved.

You breathed out as well and stood up. As soon as you lifted your head you wished you didn’t had to as your eyes met Kris’. But, you had decided to change and not being moved by his reaction. You kept walking and passed by him totally ignoring the way his eyes followed you and his mouth opened just to close again after the words didn’t come out and you left the place.

Kris almost jumped off his chair and stomped after you while Hakyeon and Leo watched the scene amused.

- That was random – the older guy pointed out.

Leo spotted a guy walking to the table you just were in and was about to take something from it. Without a second thought he stood up and reached to him with just a few steps.

- Sorry, my friend just forgot this – he said to the guy that looked embarrassed yet pissed off.

- oh, really? – he tried to sound menacing.

- yeah – but only a word from Leo was enough to have him turn on his heels and walking away.

- what is it? – Hakyeon asked when his friend returned to their place. He showed the object.

- She forgot her phone.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++