Hidden Excuse

Breath of Life

 As I sat down on my desk I couldn’t sit still. I was getting nervous of the fact that I would see Sehun walk in at any minute. I check the time and there’s two minutes left until the final bell rings.

“Were you at Chanyeol’s again last night?” Haeryung asks making me turn in her direction

I shake my head “No” I smile “How are you feeling?”

She sighs as she laughs “Horrible. I’m trying my best to stay up and ignore this hangover”

I chuckle

“If I fall behind, I’m sorry”

I’m about to tell her that it’s okay but seeing Sehun walk in distracts me. When our eyes met he secretly gave me a smile and looked away his lips. My head shot down smiling right along with biting my lip to prevent my grin to get any bigger. He walks passed me and I can no longer see him, bringing my attention back to Haeyrung.

“Um,” I pause trying to remember how to speak “Just…just take as much as you can and whatever you miss I’ll help you cover it”

“Can you add anything else to make me feel bad about?”

We share a giggle and I start taking my notebook and supplies out.

“You look different?” She points out

I turn to face her “Hmm?”

“There’s something different about you?”

The final bell rings and instead of replying I smiled. I couldn’t get a word in because Mr. Hwang walked in greeted us following up with the lesson.

I stare at my belongings on my desk and I realized nothing was set out in a perfect angle or lined up straight but for some reason I didn’t care. I didn’t have a tendency to fix it and it didn’t bother me. I smile and take out my homework that was due today and I suddenly thought of Sehun. I turn over lifting my sheets and pointing, hoping he has it today.

He surprised me and lifted his sheet up. I felt proud of him so I shared my emotion with a smile.

 

 

 

During break we all sat down together except Kris and Sehun, no idea where those two were but the rest of us were laughing at how Chanyeol teased Saerin for being hung-over. She looked well put together but she was practically in misery inside.

“Why didn’t you stay home?” I ask

She groans and puts her head down “Don’t talk to me right now”

Kai adds “A shot of wine will make you feel better” He starts laughing

I chuckle looking over at him with no idea what he’s talking about “What?”

Chanyeol starts clapping with his eyes shut as he laughed at Kai’s comment “Right, shots of wine are classy”

Everyone shared a laugh but Kai couldn’t contain his “Who the says that?”

Kyungri teases back “A completely wasted ”

Saerin still had her head down and shouts “You guys are ing horrible!”

I still had no idea what they were talking about “What did she say?” I ask

Tao smiles “She got really drunk”

Chanyeol jumps in “Basically when she couldn’t stand up on her own, I cut her off. So her being beyond drunk got sentimental and somehow came back with a wine bottle.”

“So she was being a little dramatic” Kyungri smiles at me “She told us if we weren’t going to let her have more shots she was just going to start taking shots of wine instead.”

I looked over at Saerin scoffing in amusement “Are you serious?”

Saerin shouts with her head still glued onto the table “Shut up”

Kris walks up to our table smirking at Saerin “All those mixed shots ed up your stomach huh”

When he sits down I expected Sehun to be right behind but he was still missing.

“Where’s Sehun?” Tao asks

Good thing too because I was curious myself

Kris shrugs his shoulders “He said he had to go somewhere”

Everyone started a new conversation but my mind stayed with Kris’ response, wondering where Sehun could possibly go right now.

Kris breaks my thoughts when he asks Saerin “I thought you could handle your ” He smirks and all of us went back to teasing Saerin.

 

 

 

I had a few minutes before the end break bell to ring, I tried putting the things I no longer needed and replaced them with the ones I will for the next upcoming classes.

“Leave your stuff”

My heart sinks when I look up at Sehun. So he was still in school?

He stands next to me and goes through my locker “You just need your speaker”

I look at him blankly “What for?”

“We’re going to use it”

“We are?”

He nods “Don’t you need help?”

I chuckle that he was actually being serious in our text messages over the weekend.

He continues “Come on, let’ go”

“Go?” I pause “Now?”

He doesn’t say anything as he puts my speaker in my bag taking me by the wrist and drags me down the hallway, away from the direction our homeroom is.

“Where are we going? Class starts soon”

“Not for us”

“Is this a joke?” I made my feet stop and tried walking the right way “Come on”

Now it was my turn to take control and start dragging him but I poorly fail to even move him an inch with his feet glued to the ground.

I turn to face him and giggle “We’re going to be late”

I tried again but just like the first time I wasn’t successful. I use my right hand and place it over his wrist that is being used to hold onto mine and try moving him towards my direction again.

“We’re not going to class Cheon” His free hand pulled my right hand off and slid his fingers to my palm gripping on my fingers and started walking the other way again.

The two minute bell rang and I knew we didn’t have much time left and soon the hallways were starting to clear out.

“It’s not funny anymore, come on”

“It’s pretty funny to see you like this” He looks over his shoulder with a smirk on his face

“We’re going to get in trouble”

He continues walking to wherever his destination is and ignores me

“Sehun”

 

 

We were walking into the parking lot and now I was really freaking out.

“What are you doing?”

“Relax Cheon” He chuckles “”

“Relax? We’re leaving campus without permission?”

“Have you never ditched before?” He releases my hand when we reach his car

“No,” I start walking away “I hate being late”

 Sehun takes me by surprise and picks me up from my side, taking me back towards his car. His fingers squeeze my right side and I let out a squeal. He lets go of me and stares at me as I blush laughing at myself, covering my mouth of embarrassment.

“What was that?” He chuckles “Are you ticklish?”

I quickly put my hands up front “No”

“I think you are” He walks up closer to me

“Okay, okay. I’ll get in the car” As much as I didn’t want to leave school if getting in the car resulted in me being safe from a tickle attack I’d take it anytime. I feel defeated and so uneasy knowing I’m not in class.

He gets in smirking at me. I cross my arms and roll my eyes at him.

“I hate you”

“Good” He turns his keys and starts his car

“I’m going to get in so much trouble”

He sighs “You’re not making it fun anymore”

“Good”

He starts pulling out and drives off but campus security stops us. I look over at him giving him my I-told-you-look a he glanced at me with his stupid smile.

 

 

 

 

We sat inside Principal Kim’s office waiting for him. I haven’t been here since the day he placed Sehun’s responsibilities over at me. I sat there really mad bouncing my knee with crossed arms, ignoring Sehun.

“I said no, I didn’t want to.” Sehun breaks the silence “She forced me…it was all her idea”

I look over at him annoyed thinking how it isn’t funny at all.

The doors open and Principal Kim cleared his throat. My arms uncross and I sit straight. I was scared out of my mind, unsure what punishment he was going to give me.

He takes a seat on his chair and scoots in his desk “Why were you two leaving campus?”

I sat there frozen trying to think of a way to make him understand without telling on Sehun, even though he deserved to get punished but I knew he wasn’t.

“I apologize” I put my head down “I’ll accept my punishment”

“I’m disappointed…” He pauses. Those words felt horrible “Sehun”

I look up surprised. He wasn’t referring it to me but to his nephew. I look over at Sehun who had a strong cold look on his face.

He raises his voice “You have one of the best students Daewon has, helping you try to pick up what you slacked off on. I no longer care about your excuse to why you can’t continue—” He stops himself and brings his tone down “I’ve had enough of that, do you understand?”

So there was something happening with Sehun, I knew it.

Principal Kim continues “Miss Hayoung, you are excused.” He looks over at me “I’ll have Mrs. Wang write you a late pass.”

I stand up and bow thanking him, very grateful that he left me off the hook. I started to walk and saw Sehun stand up as well.

I hear Principal Kim say “You’re staying”

My head slightly looks over my shoulder and I see Sehun sit back down. I reached the double doors and when I step out I try turning over to sneak at the two but Principal Kim nods his head at me, waiting for me to leave. I close the doors and stand there for a minute, wondering what Principal Kim meant by him not caring about Sehun’s excuse.

“Miss Hayoung” Mrs. Wang’s voice draws me to her sitting at her desk “You should get going to class” She smiles at me.

I nod and before I walk to get my late pass I can’t help but to look back at those closed double doors and think what I’ve always questioned from the beginning. What is he hiding?