SOS

It's Complicated

 

Lee Hongki’s POV:

                I woke up from the sun’s light beaming violently against my face. My mom must have opened the curtains in my room to wake me up. I looked at my phone since that was the first thing I do when I wake up. A bunch of girls’ names appeared, I didn’t even bother checking their messages and somewhere along my messed up inbox, I saw Seunghyun’s name.

 

SOS. JONGHUN-HYUNG’S PLACE.

 

                What does he mean by SOS? Did something bad happen again to Jonghun? I looked at my clock and saw that he sent it just a few minutes ago. I hurriedly took a bath and didn’t even bother to eat breakfast and went to Jonghun’s place. When I got there, everyone was there already; including Minhwan, Yei and Sudae. I let myself in and found out what that SOS message was about; Jonghun and Jaejin were glaring at each other while eating. You can even tell easily the tension in the room. Mina was sitting in between them, might be the reason why they have not started tearing up each other.

                “Hyung!!” Seunghyun’s face lit up when he saw me coming in. He must have been having a hard time getting in between these two.

                “I’ll get you a plate. Eat with us.” Mina was about to stand up and get me a plate but Minhwan stopped her.

                “NO!” He said it quite loud, must have been the tension. Mina got back to her seat with confusion written all over her face. As for the rest of us, we laughed because of the maknae’s nervousness. He must have realized his own reaction and blushed. “I’ll get it for Hongki-hyung. You stay in your seat.” He then walked away and got me my plate. He must have been thinking that if Mina goes away on that seat, the two will start beating each other. I let out a chuckle and Minhwan and Seunghyun glared at me as if I was stupid or something while Yei and Sudae laughed with me as well.

                “Relax. Let’s eat in peace.” I’m actually referring to Jonghun and Jaejin. We ate lunch quietly, talking to each other from time to time. Come to think of it, I can’t believe how stupid Jonghun is getting. I mean, SERIOUSLY? He knows that Jaejin and Mina are in love with each other, so if Jaejin confesses his feelings now, HE’S A GONNER ALL RIGHT. I sighed at my best friend’s scenario, but a part of me was happy. A few months ago, Jonghun would never drive a girl home; he would never even make his self look stupid because of a girl, so I’m still proud that he’s trying. I better prepare for a long drinking session soon. I can feel it coming any moment now.

                “I’ll do the dishes.” Jonghun said upon seeing Mina cleaning up the table and Jaejin helping her.

                “But,” She was about to protest again when Jaejin took away the plates she was holding from her.

                “I’ll help hyung don’t worry.” Jaejin and Jonghun walked away and started cleaning the dishes. All of us were spying on them, afraid that a fight might break off. I saw Mina looking at them both worried, I decided to pick on her a little.

                “Mina, it must be nice huh?” I grinned at her but she just gave me a questioning look.

                “What nice?” She asked. Is she playing dumb with me? I ain’t buying that.

                “Oh come on don’t play dumb with me.” I mocked her, obviously pissed.

                “Who’s playing dumb? I honestly do not know what you are talking about.” She was still looking at me with that clueless face and I cannot believe what I was seeing.

                “She’s really clueless.” Yei whispered to me and Sudae nodded.

                “What?” I said out loud. SERIOUSLY? Mina was still looking at us suspicion rising in her senses.

                “What’s going on?” She started to nag.

                “Nothing.” I can’t believe she’s this thick. Jonghun mentioned that to me before but I cannot believe it still. “Jonghun, I need to talk to you. I’ll be in your room.” I shouted over Jonghun and waited patiently in his room. I didn’t bother to “guard” them anymore since those two were not stupid enough to ruin EVERYTHING.  I started playing videogames to kill time while waiting for him. It felt like hours though it was only minutes.

                “Ya! What took you so long?” I whined. My patience these days were being tested. Jonghun could not even care less when I whine.

                “Sorry.” He dropped his self besides me and started to play as well. We didn’t talk for a while and just concentrated on the game. It took me a lot of rehearsal in my head before I managed to ask him.

                “You do know how this is going to end right?” I said without trying to add further to his pain, making it as gentle as possible.

                “I know Hongki, I know.” He said with complete emphasis on the words “know”. He was not looking at me. His eyes were completely fixed on the screen.

                “But why are you still doing this?” I sighed and looked at him for a while.

                “I don’t want to spoil Jaejin.” He let go of a smirk, it was supposed to be one of those evil smirks but it failed badly since there was an obvious hint of pain in his eyes. “I just want to teach him a lesson before I give Mina to her completely.”

                “Lesson?” I asked then I returned my gaze on the game we were playing.

                “Yep. Lesson. I just want to make him realize how lucky he is; not everyone gets a second chance.” He laughed softly. I see. I patted his shoulder without removing our gazes from the screen.

                “You sure about this? I mean last night you were determined and all to get Mina back.” I asked, somewhat confused with all the contradictions.

                “Are you telling me to fight still?” He teased. I guess I’m contradicting myself too.

                “Ani. I’m just confused. What made you change your mind so fast?”

                “Oh that.” He stood up and signaled for me to follow. We went out of the room and saw the others playing cards causing a ruckus over a game. We continued watching over them from a distance, all of them sill not noticing our presence.

                “Ya! You’re cheating! How come you have the high cards often?!” Jaejin shouted over Mina who was smiling sheepishly as if teasing Jaejin more.

                “It’s not my fault you’re bad at card games.” She stuck her tongue out and all of them were just laughing like crazy. I still did not get the connection with Jonghun’s sudden change of mind.

                “So what about?” I looked at Jonghun and he was laughing while looking at the others.

                “Have you seen Mina smile like that before?” He turned to me and was completely ignoring my question.

                “I don’t know, we’re not that close.” I answered still.

                “How about Jaejin? Have you seen him THIS happy before?” He asked me. I then looked at Jaejin and Mina. They were glowing. I’ve never seen Jaejin smile like that for a while. Honestly Jaejin usually gives this vibration that he’s not interested in the world. The only thing that can make him feel alive was playing the bass. Now I get it.

                “We’ll drink to this okay.” I just nodded and patted his shoulders again.

                “Hell we should.” We then both laughed for a while and joined the others as if forgetting for a while the pains our hearts were carrying.

author: the next chapter will be the last. it took me a while to figure out how im going to end this thing.. so yes, im probably posting the ending the chapter soon, together with the sequel's.. :) so it's not good bye yet.. i hope you won't get tired from reading.. i am forever always thankful to everyone.. a few months ago, i would not even dare let anyone read anything i wrote so yes, i am very thankful for all the encouraging messages. thank you guys.. :)