Ice Cream

It's Complicated

 

Lee Jaejin’s POV:

                It took me a lot of self convincing before I was able to dial her number. Damn it. Why am I so nervous? Her phone is ringing now. It rang four times already. Damn it Mina, PICK UP! DON’T YOU DARE NOT ANSWER THIS PHONE CALL JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE LAZY. While I was ranting in my mind I heard her answer. Her voice sounds so sad, it made me feel uncomfortable. She asked who I was and I answered. What the hell? She doesn’t know my number? Wait, what is this that I am hearing? Is she crying? I hear her sob once more. I don’t know what to do I’m panicking. Oh crap. What to say? What to say?

                “Ya. Are you okay?” I can hear her sobs from the other line. I waited for her reply.

                “I’m okay.. I’m sorry, now is not a good time.. I’ll call you back.” Then she hangs up. Why is she crying? Without thinking any further I grabbed my keys and went to her. My mind is stuck up with the sound of her voice crying. I called her as soon as I got to the place where she was. She isn’t answering. I called her for the third time and this time she answered. I wanted to yell at her for not picking up immediately but I was overwhelmed with her sobs earlier.

                “I’m outside, I’ll wait for you here.” Then I hang up. Why didn’t I wait for her reply? What if she still has class? Oh well, whatever. It has been five minutes and still no sign of Mina. It has been the longest 5 minutes of my life. Then finally, after a few more minutes I saw a figure outside my car. I asked her to get in and she does. She isn’t crying anymore but her eyes are still red. What to do Lee Jaejin? What to do? Then a thought came to my mind and I immediately drove to find an ice cream shop. Mina is such a kid, she’ll probably at least cheer up a bit with that. It wasn’t hard to find one.

                “Come.” I told her. We went into the shop and I bought a big serving of ice cream for her. She was staring at me confused. Who wouldn’t be confused, after I broke her heart back in high school and years of not talking despite of having the same circle of friends, and now I’m here buying her ice cream. So normal right?

                “Eat.” She picked up her spoon and started digging. I waited for her to start talking since I don’t know what to say also. We just kept on exchanging glances the whole time without saying a single word. She eats her ice cream like a kid. I was trying my best to hold back my smile very hard but I failed, she noticed it.

                “Ya. What?” She said to me, not smiling at all. Why you. I bought you ice cream to cheer you up and this is what you say to me.

                “You look funny.” I told her insultingly. She just shot me a look but didn’t bother to fight back. Wow. She seems so depressed. I cannot take it any further. I just had to ask her why she was crying so I did.

                “Why were you crying?” I asked awkwardly. She was still eating her ice cream, didn’t even look at me. “I.. if you..  don’t  mind telling.” I said. Now I’m nervous. Something is telling me I’m not going to like it. But I still waited for her answer. She was quiet still quiet and she stopped eating. She looked down unsure of what to say.

                “Can I ask you something?” She finally said. I nod and waited for her to continue. It took her a while again before she talked. Man! The suspense is killing me!

                “Is it true…” There was a long pause again. “Is it true that Jonghun has never said “I like you” or “I love you” to anyone?” She lowered her head more as she said those words. Aaahh.. What is this I am feeling right now. So this is what she is worried about. I thought for a while before I answer, but she spoke again.

                “It’s true then.” She murmured. I don’t know what to say but it’s breaking my heart. I looked at my watch and saw that it’s almost time.

                “Let’s go.” I stood up and asked her to come with me.

                “Where to?” She asked.

                “Trust me.” She hesitated for a while but still followed me. Does this mean she doesn’t trust me?  This is really getting into me.

                As I was driving I can’t help but think, am I doing the right thing? I know I am but what is this I am feeling?

 

author: this chapter is kinda long T^T sorry...