Fire

Severely
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Daehyun and Sora decided to go to work early the next morning because there was going to be a reception at the hotel and there were lots of stuff to do.

As they were about to enter the kitchen, two guys wearing engineer suits and navy blue caps walked out and one of them bumped into Daehyun.

“Ooh…joesonghamnida…” The guy who bumped into Daehyun bowed and quickly walked past them.

“Weird…” Daehyun mumbled to himself.

“Have you seen those guys before?” He asked Sora.

“They’re probably here for maintenance of the ovens…” Sora replied, but she too felt that the two men were a little suspicious.

“Nothing to worry about.” She smiled at Daehyun, walking past him into the kitchen.

Daehyun nodded as he followed Sora into the kitchen, he probably was thinking too much.

 

At home, Yujin was sitting at the desk in her room and reading her diary. The other night Daehyun had borrowed Yujin’s Braille machine and searched on the internet for Braille to make a Braille book for her (of the diary) so that she could read it by herself.

Yujin was reading her diary to see if there was anything in it that might help her regain her memory of the accident when she came across an entry where she wrote about the cafe Daehyun used to work at.

“De Chocolate Coffee…” Yujin read as she ran her fingers of the Braille.

Even though she didn’t get any flashbacks there was something in her memory that wanted her to go there. She had a gut feeling that the café Daehyun used to work at was one of the keys to unlocking her memory of the accident.

 

It was the time of the service and all the chefs were rushing around the kitchen getting stuff done to prepare for the special guests, there were also a lot of outside orders coming in for the new rose cake on the menu that Daehyun and Sora had created so it was chaos.

Daehyun switched on the oven to let it warm up and got back to work, what he didn’t know was that oven had been tampered with and the gas pipe was loose. If the oven gained enough heat it was going to explode.

Daehyun finished rolling the crossaints and placed them onto the tray, he lifted the tray up and was about to put it in the oven when Sora stopped him.

“Daehyun ssi, you for got the almonds!” She reminded.

“Oh…right!” Daehyun said absent-mindedly, placing the tray back on the worktable and letting Sora do the finishing touches.

“Done!” She smiled.

“You can put it in the oven now.”

The gas was streaming out of the pipe now and was making a hissing sound.

Sora frowned, she had been wondering why she kept smelling a faint gas smell under all of the smells of baked goods.

Daehyun grabbed the tray and was about to open the oven when Sora was looking around and spotted the leaking gas pipe.

“Daehyun ssi!!! Don’t open the oven!!!” She screamed, but it was too late.

Daehyun had already opened the oven.

“Be careful!!!” She screamed again, leaping towards Daehyun and wrapping her body around Daehyun’s as the oven exploded with a loud BANG!!!

Daehyun fell onto the floor with Sora on top of him, there was smoke all over the kitchen now and a mini fire was starting.

Daehyun shook his head, coughing and covering his mouth.

“Sora ssi!” He called, shaking Sora’s lifeless body.

“Sora ssi are you okay!?” Daehyun continued, Sora had been knocked unconscious because of the impact of the explosion.

Daehyun coughed as he stood up from the ground carrying Sora in his arms, there was lots of smoke everywhere and he could hear the frantic voices of his co-workers shouting over the flames.

Daehyun squinted throught the thick smoke as he scanned for an escape route, if they stayed here any longer they were going to die by breathing in too much smoke or get burnt to death.

Locating the exit Daehyun ran towards it but, before he could reach it some boxes that were piled up caught fire and fell down in front of Daehyun.

Daehyun took a step back and the burning cinders stung his face, the route was blocked now he had to move the boxes in order to escape.

Daehyun lowered Sora to the ground and took of his chef’s jacket, splashing it with water from a nearby pail and throwing it on top of Sora’s face so she wouldn’t get burnt.

Daehyun gasped as he tried to move the boxes away to clear an exit, it was getting difficult to breathe now with his lungs to full of smoke.

“Ugghhhh!!” Daehyun coughed as he pushed the boxes with all his might and was finally able to clear a passage.

He quickly carried Sora and ran out of the burning kitchen.

“Omo!! Daehyun ssi are you all right!?” Chef Park called out as he saw Daehyun run out of the fire.

“I’m fine…Sora….*cough**cough*”

“We need to get her….to the hospital now…*cough*” Daehyun replied.

“Ooh!! The ambulance and fire department are on their way!” Chef Park said, leading Daehyun out of the hotel.

Daehyun heard the all too familiar siren of the ambulance as it pulled into the driveway. It was happening again…..Yujin’s car accident…..and now Sora….she had ended up in this state because she protected him.

“Why did she do that!?”

“If she didn’t protect me from the explosion…she wouldn’t end up like this now…” A voice rang in Daehyun’s head.

Why was tradgedy always happening around him?

Daehyun ran after the doctors and nurses as they pulled Yujin into the operation room.

“Sora ssi…you’re gonna be all right….right?”

“Ahhhh!! How could this happen!?” Chef Park exclaimed, running his hands through his hair.

“Daehyun ah!!!” Daehyun turned around as he heard his name being called, it was Sora’s parents they were running towards him.

“Daehyun ah, ottokae!? Uri Sora ya….omo…..” Sora’s Mom asked with a worried look.

“What happened?” Sora’s Dad asked.

“The oven in the kitchen exploded, there was a large fire and everything…Sora fainted…she’s in the operating room now…” Daehyun reported.

“Omo omo!!!” Sora’s Mom exclaimed as she rolled her eyes shut and lost her balance.

“Ahjumeoni!” Daehyun called as he grabbed her to stop her from falling onto the floor.

“Yeobo….calm down…our Sora will be all right…she’s strong..” Sora’s Dad tried to comfort his wife.

“Ahjusshi is right…Sora’s strong…nothing will happen to her…” Daehyun joined in.

Sora’s Mom started sobbing as her husband brought her to sit down on the chair.

“Daehyun ah…you’re not hurt anywhere are you?” Sora’s Dad asked with a look of concern in his eyes.

Daehyun smiled, so this was what it was like to have parents who worry about you and ask you if you’re okay.

“I’m fine ahjusshi…if Sora didn’t protect me…the one lying in the operation room will be me right now….I’m so sorry….it’s my fault…” Daehyun replied, looking towards the floor.

“Daehyun ah….it’s not your fault…it’s no one’s fault. Some things are unpredictable…no one knew the oven in the kitchen would explode. So don’t blame yourself okay?” Sora’s Dad said, patting Daehyun on his shoulder.

“I’m sure if it was Sora….you would do the same for her too.”

Daehyun nodded at Sora’s Dad as a tear fell from his eye, he still wished he was the one that was in there and not Sora.

 

Yujin got off the car at the hotel; she was here to meet Daehyun for lunch.

The fire had just been put out and there was still chaos at the hotel and lots of people were standing outside looking and talking about what happened to the kitchen.

Yujin raised her eyebrows as she listened to the voices around her, she knew there was some commotion going on.

“Excuse me….can you tell me what happened?” Yujin asked the person standing next to her.

“There was an explosion in the hotel’s pastry kitchen….the fire’s just been put out but I heard there’s a few casualties.” The person replied.

Yujin gasped as she heard what the person said.

“Explosion!?”

“Casualties!?”

She wondered if Daehyun was one of them.

Yujin quickly rummaged through her bag for her phone.

“Daehyunnie!” She said to the phone, which dialed Daehyun’s number.

“Pick up pick up!!! Hurry!!” Yujin hissed at the phone but the phone just kept ringing and Daehyun was picking up.

Soon, it reached the voice mail.

Yujin gave an exasperated sigh as she stuffed her phone in her bag, she started walking and looking around for someone to ask.

“Excuse me!” She said, grabbing someone.

The man had a surprised look on his face as he turned to face Yujin.

“Excuse me….I’

Please log in to read the full chapter