Red Tulips

Severely
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

Daehyun and Sora entered the kitchen after changing into their chef’s uniform.

“Oohh…your hat’s slanted.” Sora mentioned, reaching out to adjust Daehyun’s hat.

He was wearing the baker’s hat Sora had given him yesterday.

“Thanks..” Daehyun whispered as they quickly got into position, lining themselves around the center worktable.

“Everyone, today we have a new colleague joining us…his name is Jung Daehyun.” The head chef introduced, pointing towards Daehyun.

“Hello everyone…I’m Daehyun, nice to meet you.” Daehyun bowed.

There were menacing glares from the other chefs in the room, they all had to go through various test and interviews before they got selected for the job while Daehyun just got the job so easily.

Daehyun bit his lip as he saw all the unfriendly faces staring at him….looks like he wouldn’t be welcomed that easily.

“Daehyun ssi will be here on one month’s probation…I’ll decide if he gets to stay as a permanent staff after that.” The head chef explained.

“When I’m not around, chef Park will be in charge…Daehyun ssi if you have any questions please look for him.”

“All right, everyone get to work!” The head chef announced as they all started to scatter around any busy themselves.

Daehyun looked around helplessly wondering what he should do…he looked towards Sora who pointed towards chef Park, indicating that Daehyun should get his orders from him.

“Ummm…excuse me…sunbaenim..” Daehyun started, hovering around chef Park.

“I’m busy here, try not to get in my way.” Chef Park said quickly, pushing Daehyun aside.

“Oh, the delivery truck might be here already….go and carry in the flour..make sure you check the amount against the order list.” Chef Park ordered.

“Ye!” Daehyun said enthusiastically, it was his first day of work and he wanted to do a good job.

Sora sighed as she watched Daehyun leave the room, she knew what he was in for…all of the Junior chefs had to go through the “rigourous training” before they could really start baking anything.

“100 bags of flour…please sign here..” The deliveryman passed Daehyun the order list.

Daehyun counted the bags to make sure it was the correct number and then signed the order list, then he started carrying the bags of flour back to the kitchen two bags at a time.

“Sunbaenim…where do you want me to put the flour?” Daehyun asked.

“Just put it at the corner over there!” Chef Park snapped, going back to his work.

Daehyun nodded as he placed the bags of flour on the ground, today was going to be a looongggg day.

By the time Daehyun finished carrying everything into the kitchen, he was exhausted and there were flour stains all over his face, arms and clothes.

“Whew..” Daehyun took a breath, wiping the sweat away from his forehead.

“Sunbaenim, I’ve finished carrying all the flour in.” Daehyun reported, wiping his hands on his apron.

“Oh..I forgot to tell you, we only need about twenty bags here…the rest needs to be placed in the storeroom.”

Daehyun almost lost it after he heard what chef Park said, he had just painstaking carried in every one of those 100 bags of 1kg flour in and now he was asking him to move them back to the storeroom which was quite a distance away from the kitchen.

“Ye..” Daehyun muttered, taking a deep breath.

By the time he finished the second round he was more than exhausted.

“Sunbaenim, I’ve put the rest of the flour back in the storeroom.” Daehyun reported.

“All right, we need some apples for the apple pie….do you see that box of apples there? I want you to peel and core them…after you’re done pass them to Sora ssi. Try to finish before lunch please.”

Daehyun looked at the clock, it was just twenty more minutes till lunch. He wouldn’t be able to peel and core the apples by then….looks like he would have to go without lunch!

“Here.” Sora said, passing Daehyun a chocolate covered donut.

Daehyun looked up at Sora.

“You can have it…..I still have loads of apples to peel.” Daehyun mumbled frustratedly.

“Aisshhh…” Sora grumbled, grabbing Daehyun’s hand and forcing the donut to him.

“Daehyun ssi, you’re not superman! You have to eat something, besides…you just carried in all that flour. I don't want you fainting like the other time again.” Sora smiled.

“Mmm..” Daehyun nodded as he took a bite out of the donut, giving into Sora’s concern.

He didn’t even realize he was so hungry and ended up finishing it in two bites.

Sora smiled at how cute Daehyun looked scoffing up the donut hungrily.

“If you’re still hungry….I hid a box of donuts in my locker, you can sneak behind and eat them..” Sora whispered.

Daehyun grinned. “Don’t blame me if I finish the whole box.” He said.

Sora laughed. “Go ahead and finish everything! I bet you’ll get a stomachache tomorrow.” She said, sticking out her tongue at Daehyun.

They laughed together.

“What are you two doing over there?? Lunch time’s over…time to get back to work!” Chef Park ordered.

Sora had already turned her back to leave but she stopped and turned to face Daehyun again.

“Hwaiting!” She mouthed, then she went back to her work.

Daehyun smiled.

Sora was always giving him the extra boost and encouragement when he needed it and he was glad she was by his side.

 

“Are you ready?” Myungsoo asked, grabbing onto the handles of his bicycle.

Yujin slowly s her arms around Myungsoo’s waist and held on tight.

“Mmm..” She nodded.

Myungsoo smiled as he started to pedal the bicycle.

Yujin’s heart started to beat a little faster as the bicycle started to move faster, she was afraid she might fall off the bicycle or something.

“You okay back there?” Myungsoo asked, turning his head back a little to check on Yujin.

“I’m okay.” Yujin replied.

She was scared at first, but after her heart stabilized and her body got used to the movement she was enjoying every second of it.

Birds chirping, the sound of the leaves rustling in the wind and the warmth of Myungsoo’s body against her skin.

It was perfect.

“I’ll go a little faster now.” Myungsoo grinned as he started to put more weight on the pedals and ride faster.

Yujin let out a little scream as the bicycle swerved to the left, she tightened her grip around Myungsoo’s waist and he started to laugh.

 

“Yah! Why are you laughing!” Yujin frowned, hitting Myungsoo square on his back.

“Oww….okay okay…I’m sorry..” He apologized.

Yujin smiled as she rested her head on Myungsoo’s back, she felt comfortable with Myungsoo by her side now.

Myungsoo smiled wider as he felt the warmth of Yujin’s body against his….this was all he ever wanted.

Myungsoo slowed down as he stopped beside a flower shop.

“Julia, wait here for me…I’ll be right back.” Myungso told Yujin, leading her to a bench nearby.

“Mmmm…” Yujin nodded as she settled down on the bench.

Myungsoo came out of the flower shop a while later with a boquet of red tulips in his arm. He smiled as he sniffed them, he thought of giving Yujin something that she could feel with her other senses instead of something she had to see with her eyes and flowers were the perfect thing.

Myungsoo grabbed his camera, which was hanging around his neck and started to snap pictures of Yujin as he walked towards her.

“Oppa….is that you? I can hear you snapping pictures of me!” Yujin protested, getting up from the bench and covering the lens of Myungsoo’s camera.

“I told you I’ll take lots of pictures didn’t I? So you can look at them when you get your sight back.” Myungsoo smiled, taking Yujin’s hand and lowering it from the camera.

“Here, I got these for you.” Myungsoo passed Yujin the bouquet of red tulips.

“They smell lovely….” Yujin smiled, lifting up the boquet to her nose.

The smell felt familiar to her, like it was part of her memory.

“Red tulips…” Yujin mumbled, trying to remember why this smell was so familiar to her.

“How did you know?” Myungsoo asked, widening his eyes at Yujin.

“Red tulips symbolize a declaration of love….” Yujin said, it was like her brain was automatically

Please log in to read the full chapter