60 Seconds

Severely
Please log in to read the full chapter

Daehyun shook the can of whipped cream in his hand vigorously as he squeezed the cream onto the caramel latte sitting on the counter top in perfect swirls.

“Here you go, one caramel frappacino and a slice of cheesecake.” He smiled as he placed the glass onto the tray.

The girl smiled as she reached out to grab the tray, she couldn’t stop staring at Daehyun, he was so handsome and his eyes sparkled when he smiled.

“Enjoy your coffee!” Daehyun winked.

The girl’s cheeks began to flush as she whispered a thank you, giggling to her friends and walking away from the counter.

Daehyun smiled to himself as he lifted the top of the waffle maker to check if the waffles were done. The whiff of crisp freshly made waffles filled his nose as he lifted the waffle up onto a plate with a palette knife; the smell was making him hungry.

“Daehyun ssi, want to have lunch together?” A girl with black hair tied in a ponytail asked as she popped her head out from behind the back room.

“Ohhh…5 more minutes.” He replied, quickly scooping up the ice cream and topping the waffle with it.

Daehyun quickly served the last customer and proceeded to the back room, the girl from before was talking to the other colleagues at the lockers.

“Let’s go.” Daehyun told her as they made eye contact.

“Mmmm!” she nodded happily, grinning and walking out together with Daehyun.

“Daehyun ssi, what should we eat for lunch today?” the girl asked.

Daehyun frowned. “Hmmm….chicken?” he smiled.

“Fried chicken sounds good!” the girl replied cheerily as they entered the fried chicken shop.

They were having their food and talking happily when suddenly Daehyun’s phone rang.

Daehyun stopped talking as he grabbed his phone and looked at the screen.

“Yujinnie” it said.

Daehyun frowned as he picked up the called, he didn’t look too happy to receive that call.

“Ohh…Yujin ah..” he answered.

“Daehyun ah…are you having your lunch now? I’m nearby the café…wanna have lunch together?” Yujin asked, she had just finished her classes at the University and was walking in the direction towards the café Daehyun worked at.

She wanted to have lunch with her boyfriend.

“Yujin ah…” Daehyun replied, looking at the girl who was beside him nervously.

She was pouting her lips and had a bewildered look on her face.

“There are a lot of customers today…so…I won’t be having lunch, I’ll just eat something while working. Mian….maybe later?” Daehyun lied.

The smile on Yujin’s face turned into a frown as she gave a little sigh.

“Ooohh..jjinja? That’s okay, since you’re busy..” she replied, disappointed.

“Are you upset?” Daehyun asked.

“Ani…I’m fine..”

“I’ll call you later okay?” Daehyun finished as he hung up the phone.

Yujin bit her lip as she continued walking, slowing her speed down.

“Why was Daehyun always being like that, whenever I call him he’s always busy and can’t spend time with me….does he have someone else?” Yujin thought as she kicked at the ground.

They never really spent much quality time together anymore….and every time they met they would quarrel. It wasn’t a good sign, was it?

“Who was that?” the girl asked, taking a sip of her cola.

“Oh, it’s no one.” Daehyun replied smiling.

“Here, you like the chicken drumsticks don’t you?” he said, passing it to the girl.

“Gomawo.” She smiled widely as she bit out of the chicken.

Yujin frowned as she stopped in front of the café Daehyun worked at, she stared up at the signboard. Without thinking, she walked all the way here…her heart brought her here.

“Since I’m here, might as well check up on Daehyun.” She thought to herself.

As she was about to push the glass door open, something caught her eye. She frowned as she looked up at the two people who were walking towards her direction. Yujin furrowed her brow as she realized it was Daehyun, he had said he was busy so he couldn’t have lunch with her, and here he is walking down the street and talking happily to the girl beside him.

Yujin’s heart sank as she stared at them, this wasn’t the first time Daehyun had lied to her…just that this time she caught him red handed.

“Yujin ah…” Daehyun trailed off as his eyes widened, realizing his girlfriend was standing in front of him.

The girl who was with Daehyun looked suspiciously at Yujin, whose blood was boiling inside of her now.

“Who is she?” the girl asked, looking towards Daehyun.

“Ummm…a friend…” Daehyun stated.

Yujin took a deep breath as she heard Daehyun say the word “friend”.

“You go in first, I’ll be back soon.” Daehyun told the girl quickly as he grabbed Yujin’s arm and pulled her away.

“Where are you taking me?” Yujin raised her voice as Daehyun pulled her towards a row of benches.

“Let go!” she screamed, as she flung Daehyun’s arm away.

“Yujin ah…” Daehyun protested.

“Friend….who’s your friend!!” Yujin finally couldn’t control herself any longer.

“Yujin ah…please…I’m sorry..” Daehyun couldn’t quite find the right words to say to make Yujin simmer down.

“Sorry!? Sorry for what!? You’re not free to eat lunch with me?? Well you just came back from lunch with another GIRL!!” Yujin screamed.

The people around the area were all shooting weird glances at the couple.

“I…we..just went out to get a small snack! We didn’t even have time to sit down and eat!” Daehyun lied.

“Enough of that crap! Who is she!?” Yujin demanded, she was thoroughly tired of all of Daehyun’s lies.

“She’s no one! She’s just my colleague!” Daehyun tried to defend himself.

Yujin heaved a sigh as a tear fell down her cheek.

“Yujin ah..she’s really no one…I only have you..” Daehyun said, grabbing Yujin’s arms.

“Enough! I had enough of your lies!!” Yujin screamed, pushing Daehyun away.

“I wanted to bring you some donuts in case you were hungry, looks like you don’t need it anymore!” she shoved the box of krispy kreme donuts into Daehyun’s stomach.

“Yujin ah, please don’t be like this…I’m sorry..I’ll make it up to you okay?” Daehyun pleaded.

“No need! I’m just your FRIEND anyway aren’t I?” Yujin scoffed as she spun around and walked away angrily.

“Yujin ah!” Daehyun called out as she ran and caught onto her arm.

“What do you want me to do so you’ll simmer down?” Daehyun looked into her eyes.

“Get lost!!” Yujin screamed, as she kicked Daehyun in the knee and ran off.

“Ahh aishhh…” Daehyun grumbled, holding onto his knee.

He sighed as he watched Yujin’s figure get smaller and smaller.

Daehyun bent down to pick up the box of krispy kreme on the floor, he was tired of always fighting with Yujin…they didn’t use to be like that.

It was just after being together for six years…maybe they were just slowly getting tired of each other.

“Yah, are you sure that girl is your friend…she doesn’t seem like just a friend…” the girl asked Daehyun just as he walked behind the counter.

“Don’t wanna talk about it…” Daehyun mumbled.

“I saw everything from the window…” the girl continued.

“Yah, just mind your own business and serve the customers okay?” Daehyun snapped.

The girl made a face at him as Daehyun disappeared into the back room to put down the box of krispy kreme. Now he had to think of some way to apologize to Yujin.

Yujin boarded the bus headed home, walking towards an empty seat at the corner of the bus.

The bus pulled away from the stop as Yujin settled down and looked out the window, tears started to form in her eyes as the bus rumbled on. She couldn’t control any longer and started sobbing softly, she felt like Daehyun was slowly drifting further and further away from each other.

Although they were together, it was like his heart was far away from hers.

It wasn’t the same anymore.

Yujin wasn’t from a normal class family, her Father was the chairman of Capelle Hotel, one of the top hotels in Seoul. She was the only heir and her parents rejected vehemently to her relationship with Daehyun who lives alone with his Grandmother after his parents both remarried and left him. But she insisted on being with Daehyun and almost fell out with her parents….now she didn’t even know…if it was all worth it.

That night, Daehyun tried calling Yujin on her phone as he left the café, but she wasn’t answering.

Daehyun gave up calling Yujin, deciding to message her instead.

“Yujin ah…I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to lie to you, why don’t we have dinner together? I’ll make it up to you okay?”

Yujin sighed as she picked up her phone.

“Maybe I should give Daehyun a chance….” She hated fighting with Daehyun, and she had no intention of letting him go.

Daehyun’s phone rang in his hand, realizing it was Yujin, he quickly answered the call.

“Yujin ah! You’re not angry anymore?” Daehyun blurted.

“I’m still angry…” Yujin mumbled.

Daehyun chuckled.

“What do you want to have for dinner? I’ll bring you to eat anything you want!”

“You’re not meeting the other girl?” Yujin replied sarcastically.

“I told you she’s just my colleague, we have nothing to do with each other.” Daehyun explained.

“…….”

“Tell you what, why don’t you come over to my place and I’ll bake your favorite strawberry tart.” Daehyun suggested.

Yujin’s lips curled a little, she loved desserts…especially the ones Daehyun made. Daehyun made desserts and sweets during his free time, he was good at it..talented actually. That was one of the reasons Yujin fell for him in the first place.

“Sounds….good.” Yujin smiled.

“I’ll…go over and pick you up! I’m almost there…you can come down in five.” Daehyun finished.

Yujin smiled as she went to grab her coat, maybe she was being too paranoid. The girl

Please log in to read the full chapter