Chapter Forty

By His Side

Minzy cried so hard that she could feel her body trembling. But the feeling of emptiness overwhelmed her physical reaction to heart ache. She felt cold and so vulnerable. This moment was the last stray as she screamed out at the top of her lungs. Screaming mixed with sobbing as her eyes were blurred by the streams of tears adorning her cheeks.

 

Minzy awoke to the throbbing pain in her head. The bright sunrise wasn't welcoming to her sore and swollen eyes. Groaning as she tossed to her side to block out the sun, she covered her face with her arm to slowly adjust her eyes to her surroundings. As her eyes began to adjust to the light out, she continued to lay still from being emotionally and physically exhausted. Though she was exhausted , she was grateful for the fact that she lay alone in the quiet nature.

Tossing onto her other side she frowned as she came face to face with the king's sleeping face. As if losing Dongwook in the middle of nowhere wasn't enough, now she was starting to hallucinate. Slowly reaching out, she felt his face and it was real. Lightly tracing the curves of his face she was fairly impressed out how well her mind could play tricks on her.

"You must think I'm pretty weak to be by your side with all my faults," her voice cracked. "What should I do?" Her hands came to a stop as she cupped his face in the palm of her hands, "GD tell me what I should do?"

Minzy lay in place as she watched GD's hands were placed upon her own, "Minzy?" His eyes slowly opened to meet her very own. 

They both lay silently as their eyes connected. Each bore sadness, heart ache, and pain, expressing the depths of their hearts. Their eyes did all the talking as GD pulled her closer to him. "I thought you were going to leave me again."

"What," she hummed as she nestled herself against his chest while he wrapped his arms around her like a secure safety blanket.

"I thought you were going to for sure choose to run away with Dongwook and leave me once again. I mean I couldn't blame you if you did. I did put you through a lot."

She lay listening to the soft beating of his heart and couldn't help the small grin forming at the corner of her lips, "Even if I wanted to I couldn't."

"Why?"

"That is a very good question. I've asked myself that as well. Why have I never truly left your side?" She thought deeply on the question as her thoughts started to direct to her son, Daesung. "My son."

"Your son?"

"My life is for my son. He deserves the world and..." She nestled closer into him as she quietly whispered, "He needs both of his parents."

"What does he need?"

"What do you think," She chuckled at her thoughts of how annoyingly similar her imagination made GD to his real self. But it didn't matter because in this moment she could soak up being wrapped safely in his imaginary arms.

 

"Minzy...Minzy..." A familiar voice echoed. Minzy slowly opened her heavy eye lids as the voice continued to call her, "Minzy...Minzy wake up!"

She let out an involuntary groan as her vision cleared to see CL and Bom towering over her, "What?" The realization of soreness struck her as she tossed to the side and pulled up the covers over her as she shut her eyes.

"Minzy?! Wake up! Wake up! Wake up," CL demanded as Bom shook her.

"Alright, alright I'm up," Minzy shot up as she pouted. "What's wrong?"

CL frowned as she sat down next to her confused friend, "I don't know why don't you tell me what's wrong."

Minzy sighed as she glanced over to Bom for a little help, to which Bom mouthed to her, "Look around you!"

Doing what she was told she glanced at her surroundings. This wasn't her room at the farm and it most definitely wasn't her room in the palace. Her face went from confusion to worry as to why she was in the room she was in and especially who's bed she was laying in.

"What's going on?! Am I dreaming?! Please tell me that I'm dreaming," she began panicking as she threw the covers over her head and shut her eyes hoping that she was in a nightmare.

"No it's not a dream! Get up Minzy there are more important things to discuss before he returns," CL pulled the covers off. "Tell me exactly what is going on!"

She sighed as she sat back up, "I'm having a nightmare that feels real!"

"I'm being serious! You and Dongwook go missing two days ago and the next thing I know is that your guard is escorting me along with your son to the palace to see you."

"My son? You brought my son?! Where is he," Minzy asked confused not seeing her son.

"Bom and I come rushing over with Daesung to see you cuddled up in the arms of the king on this very bed!"

"What," Minzy shrieked as she held the covers close to her as if she were . "How did I end up cuddling with the king on this bed?!"

"I don't know, but when he tried to get up to greet us you clung onto him."

Minzy didn't know whether she should cry or be furious at herself. But she knew that for sure she was confused. Confused as to what was going on and how she had got into the position she was in. Thinking hard she soaked up the words CL had told her and remembered walking miles following Dongwook and breaking down. "I can't remember how GD came into the picture. I honestly..." She paused as the memory of her dream came to mind. "Oh...my...God! No!" She slapped herself in the forehead as she thought it through things started to make sense.

"What is it?! Tell me! Because I'm here while my husband and sons are out looking for Dongwook. It was the king's order and he sent servants to tend to our farm while we're away."

Minzy bit down on her lower lip as she thought about her so called dream. Many questions came to mind as she wondered exactly what happened since she could only remember bits and pieces. She thought harder as she pieced together her conversation, "Oh my..." She slapped herself in the forehead as her dream which was really reality made sense.

"What is it Minzy?"

"I must've really been out of it. I...I..." She shook her head as she felt so stupid at that moment. "I told him that Daesung needed both of his parents."

"Wait, so you told him that he's the..."

Minzy quickly covered CL's mouth as she shook her head and quietly whispered, "No I didn't, well I don't think so. But it's a possibility that he might have figured it out." She started to panick as she glanced around, "I have to get out of here! Where's my son? I need to leave!"

"Minzy snap out of it," CL took a hold of her shoulders to calm her down.

But she shook her head and jumped out of bed, "No I can't where's my son?"

CL held Minzy back as Bom stood in front of the door, "Minzy please listen to my mom."

"My son where is he?!"

"He's with the king in your room."

"What," she nearly shouted feeling her life turning into a living nightmare. 

CL tightly embraced her friend, "It's okay Minzy we can figure this out, but we can't do it if you're acting like this. So just please first calm down and I'll let you go."

Minzy shut her eyes as she tried her best to do what was asked of her. Feeling CL slowly release her she composed herself as she took a deep breath, "CL I will be right back."

"And where are you going," Bom asked with a scolding look on her face as she placed her hands onto her hips.

Minzy grinned as she knelt down in front of the young child taking her small hands in hers, "I promise I'll be okay. Do you trust me?"

Bom shrugged her shoulders unsure, "I'm not sure you still seem a bit crazy."

"Please Bom, trust me. I can't act too crazy since we're in the palace because then people in the palace will talk and the next thing that will happen is the whole kingdom will hear about it and we don't want that to happen right?" Bom nodded to agree as Minzy gave her a comforting hug before standing on her feet. "I'll be back."

"And if we do hear you getting crazy we'll come in after you," CL called out to her before she exited.

Minzy waved in understanding as she cautiously exited the room to run right into someone, "Goodness!" She stepped back to come face to face with Teddy.

"My you're finally awake," he bowed.

She grinned and nodded, "Yes I am."

"And where might you be off to my lady?"

"I need to check on someone."

"If you're referring to your son I promise you my lady he is..."

She nearly lept forward as she quickly covered his mouth and glanced around, "Are you crazy?! Don't speak so carelessly, especially when it comes to him! Do we have an understanding?!"

He nodded and bowed as she uncovered his mouth, "It was not intentionally my lady. The king has ordered that only you the king and I are allowed in this part of the palace."

"Did he given them a reason as to why," she asked curiously.

"He said they were personal reasons that you and the king needed to sort out amongst yourselves."

Minzy nodded in understanding grateful for one less thing to stress over, "Even so, there's always a curious mind who might wonder the halls. So please take care of your words when referring to someone."

"You're right my lady I will take more caution the next time. Is there anything else?"

She nodded as an idea came to mind, "Yes actually there is. I need you to call the king to the furthest part of the palace there is someone who would like to express some concerns about the palace."

"If it is about the palace I can take care of it."

She shook her head as she looked him square in the eyes, "No not you! This person needed to speak directly to the king, it is of the utmost importance that he goes."

Teddy frowned as he eyed the queen suspiciously, "When were you on the other side of the palace? I've been told that you've been asleep all this time."

"Well you heard wrong, I've been awake for quite some time. And if he worries about the person he is with, let him know that my friend will be there shortly to care for him." She could feel Teddy not believing a word she was saying, but it was the best she could come up with at the moment. "Teddy are you going to do what I've asked or must I do it myself?!" Her aura changed to that of authority and royalty. 

"No my lady. I apologize again," he bowed deeply. "Forgive me, I will go and do what you've asked right away."

Minzy nodded as she watched him quickly make his way to her room to knock and enter. She was proud of herself for a split second on coming up with such a brilliant plan before she realized the king would have to pass by her. Her split second of victory literally lasted a split second before she started to panic. She knew retreating back into her room wouldn't work because CL and Bom would most definitely make her face him. Glancing around the hall she quickly hid behind a clothed table tugging the cloth so that it would down far enough to cover her. As she was adjusting the cloth she heard the door open and she froze in place. 

Minzy's heart started to pound so loud as she heard footsteps nearing her. "Who exactly needs to speak with me so urgently?"

"Someone regarding something urgent about the palace."

"Alright well CL better hurry to Minzy's room to check on that little handful. He's a fast crawler," GD chuckled as he made his way down the hall.

Meanwhile Minzy did her best in focusing on calming her heart from pounding do hard that it might burst out of her chest. Luckily she was the only who could hear it and waited a little bit before she crawled out. Rushing to her room, she quickly made her way in to scoop up her child. "Come on son we have to go." Making her way to her closet she grabbed a robe before exiting. Wrapping herself along with Daesung who was nestled against her, she made her way down the hall to be stopped in her tracks.

"And where do you think you're going," Bom asked in a motherly tone as she stood with her hands on her hips.

"I..."

"Minzy where are you going? Are you leaving us as well," CL asked with hurt in her voice.

She quickly shook her head, "No, no. I was just..."

"Leaving us," CL shook her head.

Minzy bit down on her lower lip as she grew impatient knowing it could take any minute now for the king to figure out her lie. "Okay I wasn't thinking, but now is not the time to talk about this. Are you both coming wih me or not?"

"To where?"

"Anywhere but here, I just need to leave before he comes back."

"Minzy let's just talk this out calmly, you're not thinking straight," CL took cautious steps towards her.

But Minzy shook her head and turned to leave, "I don't have time for this!" Placing the hood over her head she started to walk down the hall as she ignored CL calling out to her. Trying to quicken her pace to block out voice, she felt her robe being tugged the opposite way before it latched onto her leg.

"Minzy please! Please don't leave," called the voice clinging to her leg. It broke her heart to see the young girl with streams of tears flowing down her cheeks. "Don't leave please! I don't want you to run away like uncle did."

Sighing, she took a deep breath and paused to care for the young child attached to her leg, "Bom...Bom can you look at me?" She handed Daesung to CL who now stood next to her. "Baby girl it's okay. It's okay. I'm sorry that I was trying to leave you." Craddling the small crying girl in her arms she grinned as the girl turned and hugged her tight. "I'm sorry Bom okay? Do you want to come with us?"

"Minzy," CL squeaked frustrated at her suggestion. "No I'm not going to let you teach my daughter that it's okay to run away from your problems."

"I'm not running away from my problems! I'm simply solving them."

"How? By running away again?!" 

Minzy huffed out of frustration as she stood to her feet, "I have my ways of solving things and you have yours."

CL shook her head as she stepped forward, "Do you see who I have in my hands?! It's your son! So it's not all about you anymore. Don't rush into things without thinking about his future!"

"CL what do you think I'm doing right now?! I'm trying to protect my son's future right now." Taking her son back into her arms she turned to leave. Her face paled as she saw Teddy and the king standing side by side blocking her way out.