Chapter Thirty-two

By His Side

Minzy awoke to the restless Daesung in her arms. She tried her best to calm him down, but he continued to be agitated. "C'mon Dae, it's too late for you to be acting up. You know mommy can't walk you around right now." But he became fussier, as he started to cry. Sighing, Minzy called out for CL and Bom but didn't hear anyone coming. "Baby boy, CL and Bom are probably tired right now after caring for the both of us all day. Can you give them a break?" This caused him to cry harder as she continued to rock him in hopes to get him to stop.

In the midst of doing so, a soft knock came at the door and she watched as the door was slightly opened to reveal Dongwook. "Hey..."

"I'm sorry if I woke you. Daesung is a little fussy right now," she said with an apologetic smile as she continued to try and get him to stop.

"No you're okay, I just wanted to see if I could come and help."

"Please do," she breathed as he gave her an understanding smile.

Taking the baby in his hands, he rocked Daesung as he walked around getting him to quickly calm down to a song he was humming.

"Wow you're a natural," Minzy gave him a grateful smile as she watched Dae calm down and slowly begin to fall asleep.

"I was told that I had the magic touch before," he teased as he turned to flash her a dazzling smile.

"Well I'm grateful to you for using your magic touch on my restless baby boy," Minzy smiled as she extended her hands forward.

But Dongwook shook his head as he held Daesung tighter, "No I got him, you should get some rest."

"But you need your rest as well."

"I'm not the one with a broken foot."

She sighed as her smile formed into a pout, "Thanks for rubbing it in my face."

He chuckled as he shook his head, "That's not what I meant."

"Well, could you at least stay in here with him. I don't want him to wake everyone up," she quickly said as he tried to exit.

Though it was a nice gesture, she had only known Dongwook for the past few days. She wasn't getting any bad vibes from him and in fact it was the complete opposite. But she didn't know if she could fully trust him just yet.

"Sure, let me go grab a chair," Dongwook said as he gently laid Daesung back into her arms before quietly exiting.

Daesung quickly awoke and became fussy once again as Minzy awaited Dongwook, "What in the world Daesung? Calm down."

"Come here baby boy," Dongwook cooed as he scooped him back up into his arms calming the infant down once again.

Minzy coughed a laugh in disbelief, "You have got to be kidding me."

She watched as he shrugged and took a seat across from her, "Like I said, I have the magic touch."

This caused her to chuckle as she shook her head, "More like the magic touch of turning my son against me."

"Whatever you wanna call it, it's still the magic touch," he teased.

"Oh sure," she sighed after the good laugh. As both went quiet, she smiled as he sat staring at her with a smile on his face, "What?"

"Nothing," he shrugged his shoulders faking innocence.

She shook her head at his childish act as she continued to sit up, "Dongwook?"

"Hmm?"

"I've wondered this for the past couple of days..."

"Okay..."

"You seem like a nice guy."

"Well thank you," he chuckled as he let her continue.

"What is a good looking man like you traveling all alone? Where is your family?"

"Well this is my family. As hard as it is to convince you of it, but Top really is my brother," he teased at the on going joke with his brother.

She chuckled at the thought as she nodded, "I know that. But I'm asking, where is your wife? Don't you have children?" She watched as his smile faded and his face became hard as if the questions had struck him deeply. "Umm...it's okay. You don't have to answer that if you don't want to."

"No, no it's fine. I get that question everywhere I go," he nodded in understanding as he still held the hard look on his face.

"Well if you get that question a lot, you must be tired of answering it. You don't really have to answer that," she spoke trying to ease things over.

"Minzy," he gave her a pain filled look.

"Yes?"

He held her gaze for a moment in silence as if searching her eyes for something. It made her feel a bit nervous, yet she couldn't flinch away from his gaze. There was something in the way he looked at her that held her in place.

"Minzy I have been on the run for three years now," he finally spoke as he broke away from their intense gaze.

"What do you mean? Are you a criminal," she asked a bit worried for her son at the moment.

"No," he sighed. "I've been running from reality for three years now," he began. "I was a happy farmer like my brother. Unlike CL though, we had complications with having children. We suffered a lot to finally have my beautiful wife become pregnant with our first child. During my wife's pregnancy it was pretty rough on her. She became fragile and weak to the touch that not even my magic touch was able to do anything for her." Minzy quietly listened as she saw his eyes starting to water as he relived his past. "I grew concerned at how sick she was becoming, yet I was alone and I didn't have anyone to aid me. So I made the decision to go and get some help..." he paused as he tried to contain the emotions he was feeling at the moment before he could continue his tale. "I rushed back with a doctor as fast as I could to see my wife in a much more fragile state than when I left her. The doctor gave me the ultimatum that we had to choose who to save. My baby or my dear wife. Though in an instant I knew I couldn't live without my wife, my wife beckoned me by her side and pleaded that I would save our child. I was in tears as I told her that I would rather save her, but she pleaded with the last of her strength to let our baby live. So I instructed the doctor to save our child. But it was hopeless because after I had watched my wife suffer and bleed to death, my baby girl only lived for a couple of hours to pass away along with my wife."

Minzy felt pity on the man who sat craddling her baby boy with tears streaming down his face. He had suffered so much and by the looks of how he held Daesung, he longed for the suffering to be over.

"Dongwook," she softly called out his name.

"Hmm..." he sniffled as he continued to cry at his memories.

"I don't think your wife and daughter want you to continue to suffer like this anymore."

"But what else can I do? There is nothing to live for anymore," he shook his head.

She sighed at the memories of losing her first child, "There is Dongwook." She felt a calming peace come over her as she thought of her baby boy who pointed up ward before he left her. Imitating what he had done she gave him an understanding smile, "They are something to live for."

"But I want to live with them, not for them."

"I know, but now is not the time. Though there are things we may want at the moment, there is a reason as to why we can't have them just yet."

He let out a sigh of frustration, "You sound like you know what you're talking about."

She grinned as she nodded, "This is a life long lesson that I've been learning for a while now."

"Thank you Minzy," he nodded in understanding.

"You're welcome," she gave him a small smile as she changed the conversation to something light hearted to talk about.

 

Minzy awoke to the slight pain she was feeling at her foot. As she slowly opened her eyes, she looked to see CL adjusting the brace that the doctor had placed onto her foot. "Good morning sunshine, it was time to adjust this annoying thing."

"Thank you," she mumbled as she looked to see Dongwook asleep with Daesung nestled in his arms.

"I see you and Dongwook are getting close," CL teased.

"Shut up," Minzy chuckled as she sat up.

"He's a good guy," CL added as she took a seat next to her.

"I know," she smiled as she continued to stare at how loving Dongwook held Daesung.

"You know? What does that mean," CL teasingly asked as she bumped her shoulder to Minzy's.

"Stop it CL, you're too much," Minzy rolled her eyes as the both of them quietly chuckled.

 

"Alright let me go get the guys to bring the chairs in for dinner," CL smiled at Minzy who pouted. "What?"

"I'm sick of being in bed already, can't I come out to at least the couch in the front of the house," she pleaded.

CL sighed as she shook her head, "No you can't put any pressure onto your foot remember."

"I know, doctor's orders," Minzy sighed. "But I'm tired of being in this room..."

"Hey CL, Bom is asking if you need me to bring the chairs back here," Dongwook cut into the conversation. "Oh...umm sorry was I interupting something?"

"No, you're fine. Minzy is just sick of being in bed is all."

"That's understandable, I would be too," he nodded as he stepped in.

Minzy sighed as she shrugged her shoulders, "Whatever it doesn't even matter, because I can't even put pressure on it doctor's orders."

"Minzy we want to make sure you heal properly."

"And I just want a change of scenery," she frowned.

"Well then I have an idea," Dongwook cut in. He walked forward and began scooping Minzy into her arms to have her squeal at him.

"What are you doing?!"

"I'm giving you and CL what you both want," he shrugged as he went back to scooping her in his arms.

"Be careful," CL quickly rushed to aid Minzy's foot with a pillow.

Minzy yelped as she placed her arms around his neck to be met with a dazzling smile, "Are you ready?"

"Sure," she slightly blushed being held by him.

Deuk and Don quickly went about clearing the way for Dongwook as he made his way to the front of the house when a knock came at the door. "I'll get it," Bom said as she raced the boys to the door to reveal Teddy.

"My lady," Teddy eyed Dongwook who was craddling Minzy in his strong arms.

"Uh...Dongwook can you just put me down on the couch right there," she nodded feeling embarassed for being caught in such an awkward position.

She heard Dongwook chuckle as he lightly placed her onto the couch, "As you wish my lady."

Minzy gave him a teasing punch to the arm before he walked away to see him shrug at her like he didn't say anything wrong. She coughed a laugh at his teasing and quickly refocused to the sound of Teddy's cough. "Oh...umm...please come in Teddy."

"Thank you," he bowed before entering.

"Have a seat, you've come just in time for dinner," Bom smiled.

"Thank you, but I won't be staying long," he mirrored her smile.

"Why," Bom pouted.

"Because he has a family of his own that are waiting to have dinner with him sweetie," Minzy sweetly replied.

"Oh I see," her attitude quickly changed. "Well then, you can go back to talking with Minzy."

"Thank you," Teddy chuckled at the little miss boss lady. "How are you doing my lady," he asked as he turned his attention back to her.

"I'm well thank you. How are things running at the palace?"

"Everyone is more than understanding of your injury, seeing as they all believe that you are staying at some intensive care place to help you get better."

"Well that is partly true," she nodded for him to continue. "And the king?"

"As you know he was a bit worried when I came back the other day to give him the news of your ware abouts, he seems to be understanding. He asked if he could come and see you..."

"And what did you say," she quickly cut him off feeling worried.

"Don't worry, I've told him what you've instructed me to tell him. From a friend to a friend that you would like him to respect your personal space and focus on the kingdom."

"And..."

"And though he doesn't fully agree to it, he is doing what you've asked him to as your friend."

"Good," she let out a sigh of relief.

"But my lady I must ask, how are things between you and the king?"

She slightly frowned feeling a little puzzled by his question, "Good I think? Why?"

He sighed as he shook his head, "Never mind."

"Teddy please don't bring up such questions without further explaining it to me," she eyed him seriously.

"Yes my lady. It's just..."

"It's just what?"

He looked around as he bent forward, "Are you in a relationship and is that man the father of your baby because you have yet to tell me about your son?"

She sighed as she nodded in understanding when she heard laughter coming from the kitchen. She glanced in the direction to see Dongwook making funny faces to make Daesung laugh and she couldn't help the smile that formed at her lips.

"My lady?"

"Hmm..." she turned her focus back on Teddy.

Though in her mind and heart she already knew the answer to that question, but she couldn't help the words that escaped her lips, "You know Teddy, I honestly don't know."