Chapter Thirty-nine

By His Side

Minzy lay torn with the feelings of content that her son was getting better but at the same time she felt like something was missing. As she lay thinking about her mixed feelings, a knock came at the door. "Come in," she called to see CL walk in smiling.

"Hey."

"Hey," Minzy copied.

"So..." CL sat on the edge of the bed as she looked down at the sleeping boy. "How is everything?"

"Alright, my son is getting better and so has my foot. The pain when I try to carry him around is tolerable."

CL sighed as she shook her head, "No how is everything else? Minzy it's been a few days that you and Dongwook haven't spoken. What happened?"

Minzy knew this had been eating at her dear friend for a while and she deserved an answer, "Well I don't know exactly what to say. I'm just so confused I just need space."

"And what are you confused about? The fact that you have to choose or that you already know the path you've chosen and you don't want to truly commit to it?"

Minzy sat a little shocked by CL's bold questions, "I...well..." She was a bit tongue tied as she thought the questions threw. "I don't know how to explain it CL. My mind and heart have two different reasonings. In my mind I know that logically Dongwook will love and take care of me and my son. But then again there's the king..." Minzy paused as she shook off the oncoming thoughts. "You know what it doesn't matter because the only person that matters most in my life is my son. I don't need a man to take care of us, I've been alright on my own. Plus who are they to think of me as some prize after winning a fight? I have a mind of my own, shouldn't I have a say in this?!"

The room went quiet as Minzy finished her little outburst, "Minzy?"

"Hmm," she hummed as she tried to calm her emotions.

CL grinned as she wrapped an arm around her shoulder, "I think you've already chosen which path you wanted to take long ago."

Minzy tilted her head as she sat staring at her dear friend curiously, "And what is that?"

CL shrugged as she squeezed her arm, "You know exactly what I'm talking about. You just aren't ready to admit to it."

"CL please enlighten me as to what path I've already chosen seeing as I haven't the slightest clue right now," she pouted.

CL chuckled as she shook her head, "No way, I thought you wanted to choose for yourself? So I'm going to let you choose, but don't wait too long before you no longer have a choice."

"What does that mean?"

"They won't wait around forever Minzy," CL smiled before she got up to leave and let her soak up what she had just said.

 

 

Minzy thought long and hard about what her dear friend said. Though it was tough to decide what to do, she already knew what was right. Making her way towards the kitchen for dinner, she rehersed what she needed to say to Dongwook.

"Minzy I've prepared your seat next to mine," Bom sang as she waved to her. 

Minzy smiled as she made her way over, "Thank you Bom." She turned to see herself sitting right across from Dongwook.

For a split second their eyes connected and in that moment Minzy could see hurt and pain she was causing him. "Umm...I'm not hungry right now. There are some things I have forgotten to take care of. If you'd excuse me I'd like to get them done," he stood to his feet breaking the eye contact with Minzy.

"Alright but don't work too hard," Top gave his brother an understanding grin. 

"We'll save you some food just in case," CL called after Dongwook before he left. 

Minzy but her lower lip before standing abruptly causing everyone to stop and look up at her. "I need to...umm..."

"Talk to uncle so things aren't awkward," Don offered before her received scolding looks from his parents and Bom. "What it's true!"

Minzy sighed as she nodded before making her way into the direction Dongwook had left to. Reaching for her robe she quickly draped it over her shoulders as she exited the house. Letting her eyes adjust to the darkness, she watched as Dongwook disappeared into the trees. Sighing deeply she followed after him. 

 

The quiet nature and the sound of her foot steps was all she could hear as she continued to follow Dongwook. She didn't know why she never called out to him. But secretly following him made things a little more interesting. Many questions filled her mind as she noticed that he went the opposite way from the city and palace. 

 

Minzy didn't know exactly how long she had been following him, but she knew it was quite some time. Glancing around their surroundings from time to time she noticed that they were nearing the boarders of the kingdom. There was nothing but hills and tall green grass all around her. But it wasn't the scenery that left her breathless, it was the man who finally stood still. 

 

Dongwook looked as if he was waiting for someone. Someone that could share such a breath taking view of Mother Nature in it's purest form. A strong and handsome man standing and waiting, but for who?

As if he had read her mind he glanced back towards her giving her a knowing smile. Extending his hand out to her to join him, she grinned as she stood by his side. "It's a beautiful night isn't it," Minzy smiled before deeply inhaling the fresh air surrounding them.

"It is isn't it," he agreed as he took her hand in his. 

 

Minzy looked to see his fingers interlock with hers so perfectly. It was as if their hands were meant to be that way. His grasp was strong yet gentle just like him. It amazed her that in the simplest touch as this she felt something. Something so strong she could no longer deny it any longer.

 

""Minzy," he spoke softly as if he was trying to keep a secret.

"Hmm," she hummed. 

"Do you know where we're standing?"

Minzy paused to think as she looked all around her, "In the middle of nowhere?"

He chuckled as he nodded before he began to explain, "We're standing on our chance."

"What?"

"This is your chance, our chance of being together. I brought you to the borders of the kingdom to give you the chance to choose how you want to live your life. One step forward and me and you will be in a new land and can make a new life for you and Daesung."

"And what happens if I step back?"

She watched him flinch as he held onto her hand tighter, "It's exactly how you say it. You'll be stepping backwards to a life I know has brought you nothing but pain and sorrow."

She thought long and hard about what he said before she glanced up at him and smiled, "Dongwook?"

"Yes," he mirrored her smile as he came face to face with her.

Taking his other hand in hers she squeezed his hands before tugging on them for him to bend down, "I...love you."  She quickly leaned in to press her lips against his. Their kiss started to deepen before she quickly retreated and pushed him in the opposite direction from her.

 "Minzy I don't understand," he began trying to step towards her before she rose her hand.

"Stop..." she bit down on her lower lip as she felt her eyes water. "Don't step back. You're now across the border." The tears began to fall as she tried her best to keep it together, "I love you enough to not be selfish anymore. I've given you nothing but false hope. I don't deserve such a great man like you. Now please don't let my selfish heart keep you from something you deserve, something I can never give you. Go and live well Dongwook and never look back."

"But..." the pain and hurt in his eyes pierced her to the core as she stood her ground. 

"Go," she whispered with the last of her sanity.

And just like she instructed he turned and walked away leaving her all alone. It took all her strength and will power not to call out to him as she collapsed onto her knees crying her heart out as he disappeared into the dark night.

 

 

Author's notes:

OMG I hate how much work takes up most of my life that I barely get to write! Sorry work and the holidays have got me seriously tied up. But I was able to get a chapter in before the year ended. I wanted to finish this fic before the new year and sadly it didn't happen. So my goal is to hopefully get this fic done within the next two-three months max. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, had a bit of an emotional affect on me. But it was probably because I was listening to GD's song Black, that's my jammy jam! Haha. Thanks for all your patience and staying with my fic!<3