Chapter Thirty-six

By His Side

It was a long and brutal process that Minzy went through. She would start her day with simple small foot stretches and the king would come in the afternoon to help her with her intense foot exercises, afterwards she would let it relax and end the night with more foot stretches. In the process she learned how to stretch herself, but not too far to make sure she would be able to see her son at night.

"I'm very impressed my queen your recovery is happening so quick I would have to say it's a miracle," the doctor grinned as he examined Minzy's foot. "By the looks of things I'm going to allow you to start walking on it this week." A big smile shown on the queen's face excited by the great news. "But please don't over due it. Yes it's a miracle that you're healing so quickly, but if you over due it you might become bed ridden longer or even worse your foot won't ever heal properly."

She gulped hard at the major consequences as she nodded, "I understand doctor."

"Good now I will go and inform the king of the news. Have a good day my queen I'll be back in a couple of weeks to check your progress."

Minzy waved a goodbye as she watched the doctor leave. Sighing she stared down at her foot. It was a big responsibility to find the balance of knowing when to push herself and when to stop. Knowng herself she knew that she liked to push herself to the extreme, but with the doctor's orders she wasn't so sure as to how to accomplish that.

 

Minzy sat awaiting her night visitors when the door opened. She looked to find the king, "Is there something wrong?"

He shook his head as he entered, "No."

"Oh...then why are you here?"

"I just wanted to come bid you a goodnight."

She smiled as she nodded, "Thank you for being so thoughtful tonight. Goodnight my king." As much as he had that look in his eyes that he had more to say she didn't encourage him to speak up. Her son and Dongwook would be there any minute now and she didn't want the king and Dongwook getting into it again like they did a few weeks back. "I'll see you tomorrow afternoon," she held her smile as to hint to him to excuse himself.

But instead he chuckled as he leaned up onto her wall, "Why are you rushing me out?"

"Because I don't want what happened between you and..."

The door opened and closed swiftly to a cloaked Dongwook who was oblivious to the king's presence, "Minzy my beautiful. How are you this fine night?"

"Didn't I tell you you shouldn't be so informal with the queen," GD sounded from behind making Dongwook quickly turn to see the king glaring at him.

"Now you know why I was trying to rush you out. You and Dongwook don't mix well."

"What the hell do you want," Dongwook growled as he approached the king. 

"I should be the one asking you that," the king continued to glare as he stepped forward to be face to face with Dongwook.

"Please GD just leave and Dongwook step away," she instructed more so for the safety of her son.

"You heard her, leave she has me to take care of her now," Dongwook said with a smug look on his face. "But then again it shouldn't both you since you obviously don't care about her."

"I would bite my tongue if I were you. You don't have any room to talk since none of what I or the queen have has nothing to do with you."

Dongwook chuckled darkly before glaring hard at the king, "When it comes to Minzy it has everything to do with me!"

"Didn't I tell you to not be so informal with the queen," GD hissed as he clenched his fists.

"Okay that's enough, please save this for another time and place," Minzy called out nervously as she noticed both men mentally preparing to pounce on each other.

"I'm sorry Minzy I don't think the king knows that we're on an informal level," Dongwook smirked before the king punched him in the face.

Dongwook quickly caught his balance in the nick of time to see the king try and throw another punch towards his face. But he dodged it and took hold of the king's collar and punched him right on the face. As the king stumbled back he growled before bull rushing Dongwook and tackling him onto the ground. Meanwhile Minzy screamed out infear to see the hard impact Dongwook took to the ground followed by the rolling and fighting on the ground.

"What's going on," Teddy burst through the door to see the king and Dongwook fighting as the queen was crying and screaming.

"Stop them," she shrieked helplessly to which Teddy went in and pulled them apart. "My baby...I need to see my baby..." she cried out repeatedly.

"It's okay Minzy," Dongwook snapped back and took her in an embrace.

But she pushed him away as she felt his chest, "My baby! Where is he?!"

He sighed as he pulled her in a tight embrace," Sshhh...I'm sorry I scared you but I didn't bring him."

"Why what happened," she grew worried.

"He's sick and I didn't want to make it worse."

"Thank god," she sighed in relief that her son wasn't with Dongwook during the fight. "When did he get sick? Is it really bad?"

"He just got sick this morning."

She frowned at the thought of her precious baby being sick, "It must be from all the late night traveling."

Minzy stopped as she felt like they were being watched and sure enough there stood the king with Teddy. Fearful of what they might have heard she glared at he king, "Why are you still here?!"

"I'm not letting some low life stay within the palace walls," he barked towards Dongwook. "Even if he's your baby...I won't allow it!"

Minzy felt like laughing at how he had misheard what she said, but decided not correct him, "GD I find it funny that you would request such a thing from me when you let Dara stay here or is she an exception to the rule?"

"You would bring her up," the king glared with hurt in his eyes.

"Yes I would since you aren't giving me any choice not to. Dongwook is my guest and is allowed in the walls of the palace until I say he can't. And like I've told you before it won't be for too long, it's only temporarily until I can leave."

"What are you saying my queen are you leaving us," Teddy asked.

"No, though I think life would be easier for the king and I. Don't you agree GD?" He stayed silent as she continued, "Please let me and my guest discuss what we need to before he has to leave."

The king stood unmoving as Teddy made his way to the door, "My Lord?"

She sighed as she gazed towards the king, "I'm not asking you, I'm telling you to please leave!"

Teddy made his way back into the room to try and encourage the king to walk away. But the king brushed off his kind gesture and stormed out of the room, leaving Teddy to bow before closing the door.

"Thank goodness that's over," Dongwook sigh teasingly before Minzy glared at him. "What," he shrugged.

She shook her head as she folded her arms over her chest, "I'm so upset with you right now."

"He started it," he mumbled as he laid next to her.

"Well look at it from his point of view he thinks you're my baby," she chuckled making herself and Dongwook laugh.

"What, I thought I was your baby," he teased. 

"Shut up," she rolled her eyes as she pushed at his shoulder.

"Then what am I to you?"

She smiled as she looked down at him, "You're Dongwook of course."

"No Minzy," he paused as he reached up and took her hand in his, "Tell me what I am to you."

She bit her lower lip as she felt him draw small circles with his thumb in her hand, "Uh...what am I to you?"

He chuckled as he sat up still holding her hand in his, "I asked you first."

"Well...what do you want me to say?"

"The truth."

She nodded as she thought long and hard. After all that he has done for her he deserved exactly what he was asking for, "I...don't know." Tears began to fall as she looked at him, "I look at you and I feel lighter like I can take on the world that everything will be okay. But then I also look at you and I see something I can never have. Someone that I can only wish the best but never be as to give him my best." She cried hard as he held her in his arms, "I'm so selfish aren't I?"

He sighed as he held her tight, "You're not the only one."

 

When Dongwook left she felt emptiness over take her. She couldn't describe the feelings of finally getting things out in the open with him, but she did feel a little more like she could breathe. But at the same time she felt as though her doing that would jeopardize her  relationship with him. 

 

"Good afternoon my queen it's time to get up," the king called as he entered with her tray of lunch.

She pulled the covers over her head as she groaned, "Not now, please just let me sleep. I didn't sleep well last night."

"That's not my problem. You doing your afternoon exercises are. Now get up," he instructed as he yanked he covers off of her.

"GD," she shrieked at the cool air that hit her. "Give it back," she cried out as she tried to shield her half body.

"Whoa what happened last night?"

"Nothing! It was hot and I couldn't sleep," she defended herself from the accusing thoughts he was having before she pulled the blanket to cover herself again. "Now please leave so I can get some rest."

"Minzy it will be quick, just try and stand up for me and you can get some rest."

"No I already told you I am tired and I want to sleep," she growled, feeling too tired to be polite at the moment.

"Just stand that's all I ask."

"Why would I do what you asked after the stunt you pulled yesterday. It was because of that that I didn't rest well!" Her comment was half true, but being fully honest was the least of her worries at the moment.

"I am not going to apologize for something I did right. Now please get up and stand."

"Right?! What you did last night wasn't right at all! I asked you to leave before he came so none of that would happen but you didn't listen."

"Oh I heard you loud and clear which is why I stayed."

"Why?!"

"For the same reason I came back to help you walk again. You're my responsibility," he spoke firmly.

"Excuse me," she coughed a laugh unsure if she heard right. "You're responsibility is the kingdom how many conversations do we have to have about this?" She paused as she pointed to herself, "I'm not some object you can just claim as yours."

"That's not what I meant."

"Then what? I can't seem to understand what you're saying."

He sighed as he stepped closer to her, "Minzy step back and see the world through my eyes. You are all I truly have left don't you understand that? You are the only one that can truly comprehend my life. It's you that I need to protect over my very own life."

"I still don't understand you."

He grinned as he nodded, "And I can't understand why you lead that man on when you know it will never happen."

"How would you know if I'm leading him on or not?!"

"Because I was in your shoes! I knew Dara and I could never be together in the end even if I tried my hardest to fight the odds!" He paused as be began to relive his past, "I fought the world and even Dara to be by her side to the very end. Yet no matter how hard I tried it was never enough because she ended up escaping right out of my finger tips. Minzy don't do what I did to Dara to that man and most importantly don't do that to yourself."

She bit hard into her now trembling lip, his words were deep and filled with so much experience that it made her shiver. It was as if she imagined all the heart ache and pain she would suffer with Dongwook. It wasn't because of the relationship, but life in itself wouldn't be so kind to them if she chose to walk down that path.

"Just think twice before you decide to walk down that road," he said seriously before turning to leave. 

Sitting quietly she heard foot steps rushing down the hall as if someone was running, "Out of the way! I don't have time for you!" Dongwook rushed into her room nearly falling over her, "Minzy!"

"What's the matter," she asked as she watched him take deep breaths as if he ran all the way to her.

"Daesung...is..."

"Is what," she asked as a bad feeling started to creep up on her.

"He's really sick and he's getting worse," he finally was able to spit it all out. Minzy felt her stomach churning knowing CL wouldn't tell Dongwook to inform her of this news if she couldn't take care of it herself. "CL said to please send a doctor."

She nodded as she called out Teddy's name in hopes that he didn't leave yet. But to her surprise the king quickly charged in and grabbed Dongwook by the collar, "Did he hurt you?!"

"No, release him! Where is Teddy?"

GD mumbled under his breath as he released the man before turning to look at the queen, "I let him go home for the night, why?"

"No," she pouted as she tried to think of another plan. "Dongwook it looks like I'll have to go. Please carry me..."

But the king stepped in between the two as he held his hand up to stop him, "I don't think so. And where do you think you're going to take her?"

"Move GD I need to go and fetch the doctor. I have no time for this," she tried to push him out of the way and failed.

""I'll go," the king said surprising both Dongwook and Minzy. "I'll go fetch the doctor for you."

"It's not for me..."

"Either way I'm not letting you go out under your condition. Now stay put as me and...him go and get the doctor."

She caught hold of the king's sleeve as she looked to him with worry filled eyes, "Please hurry! Send the doctor with Dongwook right away when you find him please."

He nodded and without another word the king and Dongwook left, leaving Minzy helplessly alone and worried.

 

 

Author's Notes: I just wrote this entire chapter on my phone. What a killer this was, seriously! With that being said I didn't bother to reread and review what I've written. I can't seem to find time to get on and sit down and seriously write. I only have like spurts of time to write so I've just taken time here and there to write on my phone and here is the result. I promise I really am trying to write when I can. Thanks for all the love!<3