Chapter Twenty-five

By His Side

Minzy sat at her throne letting authority set back in as she supervised everyone going about to prepare for her speech the next day. "You there come here," Minzy instructed to a maid who was passing by.

"Yes my lady?"

"Update me on how the king is doing."

The maid nodded in understanding, "He's been locked up in his room since he's come home from his trip..."

"Has he eaten?"

The maid shook her head, "No my lady. He refuses anyone and everyone, throwing the food at who ever dares to enter."

"Alright thank you, you may go back to what you were doing," Minzy said as she arose to her feet.

Minzy found herself walking through the halls and into the kitchen shocking all the servants, maids, and cooks. No royalty had ever entered into the kitchen before. "My lady," everyone bowed as they tried to hide their shocked expressions.

"This kitchen is huge," Minzy stated fairly impressed as she walked around grabbing various things and placing them onto the center counter.

"Umm...my queen is there something you would like me to cook for you," the head cook stepped forward.

She smiled at the cook as she shook her head, "No, but thank you for all the wonderful meals you've prepared for us."

"Why thank you," he bowed in gratitude.

"Now where was I," Minzy placed her hands on her hips as she scanned the kitchen to find what she was looking for. "There it is," she smiled as she brought the pot to the stove. She looked to everyone who stood around her in the kitchen and smiled, "Today is a special treat for you all. I want to personally cook porridge for the king." There were a couple of gasps as they stood amazed as Minzy went to work. Royalty being in the kitchen was one thing, but them cooking and getting their hands dirty was unheard of.

 

"Perfect," Minzy smiled at her freshly poured bowl of porridge. Everyone including the head cook gave her a round of applause. "Thank you and next time I'll make you all a little something to eat." This caused the crowd to cheer as she laughed exiting the kitchen with a tray in hand.

"My lady would you like help with that," a few people would stop her along the way to only be greeted with a smile and a head shake.

As Minzy stood in front of the king's bedroom door, she whispered a quiet prayer before entering. She quietly entered to thankfully see that he was in bed facing the other way. "Go away," the king mumbled as he rustled in his covers.

Minzy's heart started to pound faster and faster every step she took. Taking a deep breath, she made her way to the foot of his bed and could see his face. His eyes were closed shut as if blocking out the world along with the intruder in the room. His features seemed pale and aged as if he had not slept for days and that life was not kind to him. To her surprise, she didn't feel hate or anger as she stood there examining his pained features, but she felt pity and sorrow for the man that lie in front of her.

"I said go away," GD grumbled as he tossed the covers over his head and began rustling once again. This made Minzy sigh as she walked up to his night stand and placed the tray onto his night stand. "Didn't I tell you to go away?! Take the food and leave," GD nearly shouted through the covers. 

"You need to eat," Minzy finally spoke. She wondered if he would recognize her voice and luckily he did as he froze in place. "My king you need to eat something," she softly spoke as she slowly removed the covers from his head. She smiled down at him as he slowly peeked his eyes open unsure if what he was hearing was true or not.

When his eyes were finally opened his gasped in shock as he sat up, "Minzy?!"

She nodded as she picked up the bowl and handed it to him, "Yes it's me. Now eat something."

"What are you..." he sat wide eyed feeling like he was certainly dreaming her at the moment.

She chuckled as she placed the spoon into his bowl, "Eat it, it's good. I made it myself."

As her chuckle faded they both sat starring at each other in silence. They sat looking at each other as various things ran through their minds. GD couldn't wrap his mind on the fact that she was in the room face to face with him after disappearing for a year. Meanwhile, Minzy sat studying the details of his face and how much he had really changed in a year.

"I..." he chocked out to be stopped as Minzy stood on her feet.

"Let's talk when you're ready. Just eat so that you can get yourself back to health. I need you to be ready for my speech tomorrow," she spoke cooly before walking out the door.

Minzy sighed as she leaned up against the wall. As her back hit the wall a wave of emotions hit her. She bit her lower lip holding back the sobs as she let her weak side now take over. Making her way to her room, she fell onto her knees bawling her eyes out. How could he affect her so deeply? How was he able to make her feel joy and pain all at once? Though everything in her right mind told her that she should hate him, all she could feel was pity towards the father of Daesung.

She chuckled in between her sobs at the thought of the smiling Daesung, "I will stay strong for you my son. Though your father may falter, I will not. I will be the rock in this family."

 

As if Minzy wasn't aweing the people enough, everyone stood in amazement as the king walked up and took his seat in the throne next to her. She gave him a slight grin before turning and looking out to the crowd that filled the hall out onto the palace grounds and into the city. She looked out the crowd and was suprised to see Bom who sat on her father's shoulders waving at her. She smiled as she watched Top lift baby Daesung in the air and felt a source of strength run throughout her body.

Minzy stood on her feet hushing the crowd who had been whispering and chatting here and there about her sudden appearance. Stepping forward she extended her arms wide open, "My great people, thank you all for assembling yourselves in such short notice." She looked out at the crowd as her voice continued to roar and echo throughout the hall, "I your queen have been gone for quite some time." There were a couple whispering that went about as she said that but she continued on. "There are no excuses for what has happened in the past year. We have suffered many afflictions," she paused at the thought of the carriage leaving her behind. "We have suffered many loses," and with that her memory jumped to her baby boy and then to Taeyang. "But we cannot dwell on the past!" She clenched her fists as she fiercely spoke, "We must learn from our past mistakes and fill this new coming year with new memories of happiness and joy." Her gaze was fixed on the area where Top and CL's family stood, "Let us all join together and make this kingdom stronger and better. Let us all prepare for a celebration in two weeks time. A celebration of a new kingdom and a new found strength and hope in the future!"

The crowd cheered loudly as Minzy raised her hands in the air giving everyone hope and something to look forward to in the midst of their losses and sufferings. Stepping out into the crowd, Minzy extended her hands out to let them feel her hands as if to rub off that strength and hope onto them. Pausing she watched Bom push her way through the crowds and run up to her.

Scooping the girl up into her arms she smiled as she hugged her tightly, "You look beautiful my queen." 

"As do you," Minzy smiled as she kissed the girl on the cheek and put her back down as she continued to walk.

 

"You did an amazing job today my lady," Teddy smiled as the queen walked out of her room cloaked.

"Thank you," Minzy smiled. "Do you have my horse prepared for me like I've asked?"

He nodded as he followed her towards the stair case, "Yes my lady..." They both were stopped as GD moved into their path. "My Lord," Teddy bowed somewhat shocked by his sudden appearance. GD stood starring at Minzy not acknowledging the fact that Teddy was there until Teddy stepped forward, "My Lord is there anything we can help you with?"

Minzy stared back with just as much intensity, not saying a word as she waited for him to reply to Teddy's question, "Did you really...make that porridge?"

"What," Teddy asked confused at what he was asking.

She grinned as she nodded, "Yes, I did."

He sighed before nodding and walking away, retreating to his room, leaving the pair to themselves again, "That was odd."

Minzy shrugged her shoulders as she began walking again making her way out to the stables, "Where is my horse?"

"Right here my lady," Teddy said as he guided her to a beautiful black stallion.

She smiled at the black beauty and petted it, "Hello there, my name is Minzy."

"She's the best of the best," Teddy said proudly.

"Okay, please saddle her for me."

"Right now," he asked confused knowing how late it was.

Minzy nodded as she still continued to look at the horse, "I'm going to take you out for a little midnight ride."

After the horse was saddled, Minzy hopped on in one swift motion, "My lady..."

"Don't wait up for me. The guards at the gates will let me back in," Minzy instructed before clicking her heels onto the horse and sending them flying out into the dark night.

 

Author's Notes:

Wow I'm so grateful for all the lovely comments and views this fic is getting, thank you! Hope you enjoyed this chapter! <3