Chapter Twenty-six

By His Side

Though Minzy's body ached to stay in bed for a little longer she knew she couldn't. Cuddling her son up that lay asleep in her arms, she forced herself to sit up. She smiled as she looked down to see a small grin at the corner of Daesung's lips at the movement. "Only for you," she quietly said as she placed a soft kiss onto his head.

"Minzy," CL knocked onto her door before letting herself in with Bom following behind. 

She nodded as she craddled Daesung tightly, "I will see you tomorrow night okay?" Placing one last kiss onto his forehead, she passed him to CL.

"Come here precious," CL cooed as she accepted the baby in her arms.

Bom smiled as she tip toed to kiss Daesung on the cheek, "Don't worry Minzy we'll be right here waiting for you."

At that Minzy couldn't help the emotions that hit her. She figured it was the lack of sleep or maybe the shock that she really was back at the kingdom that was finally setting in. Whatever the reason, the tears began to spill over as she watched CL and Bom hovering over her son, the sight was just overwhelming for her.  

"Minzy what's wrong," Bom pouted as she walked up to Minzy who was crying streams of tears.

She shook her head as she stooped down and knelt before the young girl, "Thank you Bom."

"For what," the young girl asked as she wiped at Minzy's tears.

This caused Minzy to chuckle at the small hands that then cupped her face, "Thank you for taking care of me and my son." She then looked up to CL who stood smiling, "I...I don't know how I can ever repay you all for what you've done for me and Daesung."

CL shook her head and continued to smile down at her, "You're the queen and most importantly you're apart of this family."

Minzy bit her lip as more tears started to fall. She thought of everything she had gone through and she most definitely wouldn't be where she was if it weren't for this family. A family that had taken her in and made her apart of it, "Thank you CL. You all are my family and I'm...I'm forever grateful that God has blessed me with such a great family."

 

As Minzy was nearing her horse she heard Bom call after her. She turned to see the small girl run up to her and sticking out her arms with a small bundle of forget-me-nots. "Here don't forget your flowers," she breathed as she tried to catch her breath.

"Thank you Bom! I almost forgot these," Minzy smiled as she took the flowers before getting up on her saddle.

"I'll pick more for you tomorrow," Bom waved before rushing back to the house.

She sighed as she shook her head, "I love that girl."

 

After putting her horse into it's stable, Minzy quietly walked through the dark halls. Swiftly making her way to the royal cemetery, she pushed the doors open and grinned at the grave she came to see. Walking up to the little grave site, she replaced the flowers from the previous night with the ones that Bom had given her.

"There you go," she whispered as she knelt by the grave. "You know I don't know how your father was able to do this every night, but I'm exhausted even though I've only been doing this for a week!" She sighed as she took in one last look of the tomb stone before getting up. "Well I better head in. I have to be up in an hour. Love you," she blew a kiss before turning to head back into the palace.

As she was nearing the stair case someone stepped in her way making her jump back, "My lady?"

"Oh my," Minzy breathed as she placed a hand over her chest when she saw that it was Teddy. "You scared me!"

He gave her an apologetic bow, "I'm sorry to have frightened you."

"What are you doing up so early? You should get all the rest you can get."

"That is why I wanted to talk with you."

"Right now?" She shook her head, "We can talk about this later."

"Where do you go every night," he finally asked.

She paused and starred at him before sighing, "It's nothing that concerns you."

"My queen your safety is my concern."

"Don't worry it's fine."

He shook his head, "No it's not. You've gone out every night and come back right before the sun rises."

"Which is why I need to get some rest before the day starts. So if you'll excuse me," Minzy said feeling annoyed at her precious sleep time was being wasted away.

"My lady," Teddy caught hold of her wrist to stop her. Minzy paused as she slowly turned her head and glared at him then at his grasp. Getting the hint, he released her and let her go to her room.

 

Minzy walked out to her throne and took her seat as she looked to see Teddy who was eyeing her suspiciously. His stares made her feel uneasy as she looked away to see an empty throne. After his reappearance with her to announce the celebration he disappeared once again staying locked up in his room. She didn't mind the fact that she was solely in charge and allowed him his space, but at the same time she couldn't help but wonder. What was he up to? Though time and time again she was informed that he was okay, just lying in bed or getting up and walking around his room.

"You," Minzy motioned for the maid to come to her and she quickly came. "I would like you to go and quickly check on the king for me."

"Yes ma'am," the maid bowed as she scurried away to do her bidding.

She looked around and couldn't avoid the eyes that were burning holes into the side of her head any longer, "Teddy?"

"Yes my lady," he stepped forward.

"Take a walk with me," she said as she stood and walked forward.

There was silence between the two as they first started walking, slightly nodding to the various workers as they strolled through the halls. Stopping at a window she starred out at the blue sky before her, "It's such a beautiful day."

"Yes it is," he said as he stood alongside her to take in the view.

"Why do you keep giving me accusing eyes," she asked seriously as she turned and fixed her gaze upon him.

"What do you mean?"

"Teddy don't make me ask you again," she spoke with warning in her voice.

He sighed as he starred out, "My queen what are you hiding?"

"What," she asked now trying to play stupid.

"I'm concerned my lady."

"Didn't I tell you already to not be," she snapped.

He nodded in understanding, "Yes, but at the same time I need a reason."

"My answer isn't good enough for you," she asked to remind him of his place.

He sighed as he shook his head, "No my lady that's not what I meant. I just...I'm worried. You could be kidnapped or something terrible could happen."

She paused as she looked into his eyes, she didn't notice the bags under his eyes until now, "Teddy..."

"You can ride out with me tonight if that will help you rest better."

He grinned as he nodded, "Is it that obvious?"

She chuckled, "Yes your poor eyes give you away. Now go and complete whatever tasks that need to be taken care of today and then go home to get some rest."

"But..."

She raised her hand to stop him, "You need it for the night ride."

"Thank you my queen," he bowed before taking his leave.

Minzy watched him walk away and grinned to herself. Though she barely knew the new guard, she couldn't deny the fact that he took his duties seriously.

"My queen," somone called from behind.

Turning she saw the maid who she'd asked earlier to do her a favor to check on the king coming towards her, "Yes?"

She bowed before looking at her, "Apparently the king is feeling sick today."

"He is?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Can you fetch a doctor to check up on him?"

"Of course my lady," the maid took another bow before leaving.

 

An expected knock came at Minzy's door, "Come in."

"Sorry to bother you so late my lady," a young maid spoke up.

She turned and grinned as she shook her head, "Oh I thought you were someone else. But what is it that you want?"

"The king has requested porridge." Minzy sat a little confused at why this little meal order would concern her. "He would like you to make it."

Understanding set in as she nodded, "I see."

Teddy then appeared behind the young maid, "My lady."

She sighed knowing it was time to leave, "Can you please have the head chief make it for him? I won't be able to make it this time."

"Okay," the maid bowed before leaving.

Minzy turned her attention to Teddy as she scooped up a cloak and placed it around her shoulders, "Are you ready?" He nodded as he followed her out to the stables.

"Alright," Teddy smiled to her as she adjusted onto her saddle.

"Let's see if you can keep up," she grinned before clicking her heels and sending her off.

 

"Whoa you're quick," Teddy said as his horse stood next to Minzy's.

"And you're too slow," she teased as she looked towards the house from the main road.

"Thanks," he chuckled as he followed her gaze to the house. "So..."

"So this is where we part," she said as she turned her attention back to him.

"Huh?"

"Now that you see my route and my destination you can be assured that you no longer have to worry about my late night trips."

Teddy didn't know what to say as his attention shifted from her to the house with various thoughts running through his mind. "I..."

"Teddy this is all you need to know where it concerns your job. Now go ahead and ride home. I'll see you tomorrow," she instructed as she rode off before he could say another word.