Chapter Thirty-eight

By His Side

"What?! I think I must have misunderstood..."

Minzy shook her head as she continued to stare lovingly down at her precious boy,  "No you've heard correctly."

GD sat quietly as he soaked in the image displayed before him. He was at a loss for words as different thoughts and various emotions ran through him. This was far from what he expected to happen tonight. In his mind he had planned on sizing up the so called man she loved, but how could he compare to a child? A child that seemed older than a new born as well. "How...how old is the child?"

"I said I would show you not tell you details of him." She paused as she glanced up at Teddy, "Please bring my things in from the carriage."

"Your things," the king interjected.

Minzy turned her attention back to GD after Teddy excused himself to do her bidding, "Yes my things, I need to stay here until my son's health improves."

"I won't allow it," he shook his head when Teddy returned.

"Excuse me," she coughed a laugh.

"You are to return to the palace with me," he spoke firmly. "You are the queen and staying outside of the palace walls is not safe."

"No! I will not go!"

"Yes you are!"

"I need to take care of my son..."

"He's coming as well." The king stood on his feet as he headed to the door, "My queen this issue is something we need to take to the palace and discuss."

"I'm not going. I'm staying here to take care of my son, end of discussion."

The king stood deep in thought as to what he would do. "Fine," he sighed as he took his seat again. 

"Fine what," the queen questioned not understanding his actions.

"Exactly what I meant it's fine you can stay," he shrugged his shoulders.

"And..." She knew there was more to it.

"So will I."

"What," everyone asked in union.

"But my Lord you need to take care of the palace," Teddy spoke up.

"And you are most definitely not welcomed here," CL glared. 

Dongwook nodded, "Just because you're the king doesn't mean you can come in here and tell us what to do!"

"Alright everyone let's calm down. There are children present so let us act as adults," Top stepped forward talking to the frustrated group. "Now even if the king feels other wise it looks as though there won't be a discussion but an argument. But I must agree with the king as well there needs to be a discussion in the near future."

"I will not discuss anything with him. His responsibility is to the kingdom and the kingdom alone! He gave up the responsibility to take care of me long ago..."

"Minzy how long are you going to hold this over my head?! Yes I admit to the mistakes I've made..."

"Admit?! Admit! I want you to do more than just admit! I want you to take responsibility of them!"

"I have been trying my best, but you keep shutting me out! Tell me what to do so I can be that perfect man you need me to be!"

"I don't want just your best, I want it all! The good. The bad. All of it! If you can't give me your everything then I don't want any of it! I don't just live for myself anymore, I live for my son as well."

"I don't know how to give you what you ask but..."

"Then I have nothing else to say to you, but bid you a safe journey back to the palace."

He glared at he with fury, "Minzy you stubborn woman I will not leave you here no matter our differences. Don't you understand the risk and danger you are putting this family in by coming here? If you truly care about your son and this family you will understand that you need to come back to the palace."

"I..."

"Minzy if you truly care about these people prove it to them. You know the risks, if not for me then for them."

"You don't have to do anything you don't want to Minzy. We've been able to survive with you under our roof for close to two years now," CL pointed out. 

Minzy quietly thought about what was being said. They were both right. Weighing the options she didn't realize the fact that the king had moved closer into her direction. "And what exactly do you think you're trying to do," Dongwook stepped into GD's path to stop him.

"I'm doing what's right for you and your family," the king said as he attempted to manuver around him.

But his attempt failed as Dongwook once again blocked his way, "And how would you know what's best for my family?"

GD sighed feeling a heavy weight fall upon his shoulders, "Please let us settle our differences outside."

"What?!"

Dongwook chuckled as he rolled up his sleeves, "I thought you'd never ask."

"Is this really necessary," Minzy coughed in disbelief. 

"Yes it's more than necessary it's long over due," GD said as he followed Dongwook out.

"Top do something," CL shook her husband's arm.

"Teddy," Minzy quickly turned to see he was a step ahead of her as he slightly bowed and walked outside.

Minzy and CL looked at each other not knowing what else to do. Both women felt helpless, especially Minzy. Why at such a time like this could she be hurt? If only her foot were better. Sighing she decided on the only thing she could do was watch her precious child in her arms. Giving Daesung the undivided attention he needed, she frowned seeing her son pouting in his sleep. "What's the matter my love? Having nightmares? Well I'm living one." Minzy chuckled at her comment before a loud crashing noise came from outside.

"What in the world?! They better not be wrecking anything or so help me..." CL growled as she marched her way outside to scold the men, leaving Minzy alone with her sleeping son. 

Shouting followed by another loud crashing sound echoed. It seemed as if CL's scolding intensified whatever was going on outside. The shouting, along with the crashing noises became louder by the minute causing Daesung to stir. "Well it looks like we need to head to our room since it's getting really loud." 

Craddling the small child in her arms, she pushed herself up. It was painful because of the added weight from her son, but she did her best to ignore the pain and walk. Each step felt like knives jabbing deep into her foot. Biting her lower lip, she focused her attention on making it onto her bed.

"Bed," she let out a heavy sigh of relief when she finally made it. Cuddling her son up against her, she grinned to herself as she stared down at Daesung, "The things I do for you."

 

 

Minzy lie still until she felt a small pair of hands touching her face. She grinned as she placed her hands on top of the small ones to earn a soft chuckle. "What are you doing," she hummed as she slowly opened her eyes to see Daesung smiling brightly at her.

"Good morning mommy," Daesung sang making Minzy's smile spread into a wide smile. "It's time to wake up now, you fell asleep on my bed again daddy would be sad to see he has to sleep alone again."

"What," Minzy chuckled not understanding as she looked around to see herself lying in her room in the palace. "Dae what are you talking about? This is my room."

"No this is my room," he pouted cutely. 

"No it's mine," Minzy mirrored her son's pouting before she closed her eyes and pulled the covers over her face.

"Mom," Daesung whinnied as he began to shake her. "Wake up! Wake up!"

 

Minzy pulled the covers off as she came face to face with Dongwook, "Dongwook?" She squinted her eyes bewildered to see his face all banged up. "Wha...what happened to you?" As she sat staring up at him she realized she wasn't in palace and her son was still too young to talk. 

"Minzy are you listening," Dongwook waved his hand in front of her face as he realized she looked as if her mind was else where.

She shook off the dream as she refocused on the conversation at hand, "Uh...yes?"

He sighed as he grinned at her, "I won."

"You won?" 

He nodded as he reached in to embrace her, "The king left and you're going to stay here with me."

Minzy hesitated as he pulled her into a deep embrace. She didn't fully understand what was going on as she replayed his words in her mind. Dongwook won and most importantly the king left.

 

 

Author's Notes:

I'm doing my best with what little time I have on my hands to write, so my apologizes for the inconsistent updates. Also it's been difficult seeing as I'm writing this off of my phone instead of the laptop. With all excuses aside though, I hope you all enjoyed this update. Thanks for reading and also commenting. I do read them all, so thank you!