Confession

Cinderella Life

   "Rika, want to come to the park ?"

   "Now ?"

   "If you're not busy, yes."

   "I'm doing the dishes, but, as it's you, Hee Yeon won't complain if I leave."

   "Good. I'll be waiting."

   I went to my room to change and, as I was leaving, Hee Yeon stopped me. I said I was meeting Dae Hyun and she made a face, but allowed me to go. It's actually kind of funny the way she never defies Dae Hyun and his dad.

   I walked to the park and went straight to our streetlight. I stopped a few steps before getting there and took a deep breath. There he was, sitting on our bench. Do I have the guts to pour my feelings out for him ? Do I really want to wait for him to take the first step ? I closed my eyes and took another deep breath before walking to him and poking his back.

   He looked at me and smiled. I walked around the bench and sat next to him. We were in silence for some time, before he sighed and turned to me.

   "Listen. I have something to tell you." He placed his hand on my shoulder and it was slightly trembling.

   "Can you calm down a little first ?" I put my hand on top of his, trying to stop his shaking. Didn't work.

   He turned back to the front and sighed again. "Your mom..." I snapped my head towards him wide eyed and he chuckled. "She used to tell me to take care of you when she wasn't around."

   "If she cared so much for me, how can she be so bad ?" I frowned a little.

   "She was a great mother indeed. But things changed."

   "You won't tell me, right ?"

   "No." He looked away.

   "I thought so. But how can you remember what she told you ? I mean, you were three or four years old."

   "Well, I guess I took what she said way too seriously." He smiled, staring up.

   I smiled as well. He really used to take great care of me. As if his life depended on my well being. After my mom passed away, he would always ask if I had eaten, if I was taking an umbrella with me every time I went out, if I was getting enough sleep, all these motherly stuff.

   I clearly remember when I was 6 years old and this 8 year old boy would pick on me all the time. I used to cry every day after he pulled my hair, stole my sandwich, kicked sand on me and other things, but I couldn't do anything, as he was a lot bigger than me. One day, Dae Hyun went to my school to pick me up, because we had to meet our dads for lunch, and saw that bully pushing me to the ground. Let's just say that guy will never have a child of his. Dae Hyun could be really scary for a 9 year-old, that's for sure.

   "You know..." I started off. "I guess I don't think marrying you is a bad thing anymore." I blurted, fiddling with my fingers.

   "And why is that ?"

   "I just do." He nodded.

   "What if I say I never thought that marrying you was a bad thing ?" He turned to me and I raised my brow. "What if... I say that I actually liked the thought of marrying you ?" I froze. He chuckled and lifted my face to look at him. "Your mom was really nice to me, you know ? And I really want to fulfill her only wish left to me."

   "What was her wish ?"

   "A few weeks before she died, she told me 'Dae Hyun ah, I have something to ask you, will you do it for me ?' I nodded and she warmly smiled to me 'You know I won't be here forever, right ? I need you to make sure Rika will always be happy, even when her dad and I are not around anymore.'. At the time I just thought she meant I shouldn't let anyone hurt you, but now I want to believe she meant something else. I want to believe she wanted me to be always by your side, making you happy. Not as the brother I've always been to you, but as something else."

   I felt like crying. Not because what he said was touching or anything like that. I mean, it was, but I didn't feel like crying because of that. The thought of him actually confessing to me was too perfect to be true, that's why I felt tears threatening to fall. I closed my eyes to hold them in and took a deep breath to calm myself down. Not successful. One or two tears managed to fall and Dae Hyun noticed. Damn it.

   His mouth opened, but no sound came out. He wiped the tears from my face and lowered his head.

   "Sorry. I shouldn't have said that. You're my little sister, that's so wrong." He sighed. "Just... forget what I said." He stood up and was about to leave.

   "Why would it be wrong ?" He turned to me. "It's not like we're blood related." I shrugged.

   "There are some things about us that you don't know."

   "Then why don't you tell me ?"

   "I will... one day." I sighed.

   "Hm. Ok. But for now" I patted the bench. "just sit."

   He sat and leaned back, staring at the stars. I wanted to say or do something, but didn't know what. It was getting colder and I really wanted to go home to take a hot shower and put on my pajamas, but I couldn't. Not before getting rid of this misunderstanding.

   "I heard you asked Zelo if I talk about you." I stated, looking up.

   "He told you ?" His eyes widened and I nodded. "Damn that kid." He mumbled.

   "Do you know why he told me ?" He shook his head. "Well, he said it was like déjà vu." He frowned, not understanding. "I guess I had the same doubts as you did."

   "And this means...?" I think he got what I meant, as he was trying to avoid his lips from curling up.

   "You're really slow, you know ?" I smirked and in a sudden burst of courage I placed my hand on his cheek and gave him a really quick peck on the lips. He froze and I hurriedly stood up. "I'm cold, got to go. Bye !"

   I ran home with a silly smile plastered on my face. As I was about to reach my house, someone stopped me. He turned me around and I was suddenly embraced, smelling the perfume I've always loved.

   "Are you still cold ?" He asked, placing his chin on top of my head.

   "Kind of." I snuggled more into his chest.

   "Then I guess we'll have to stay like this for a little longer." I giggled.

   "What if I say I don't want to ?" I raised my head to look at him.

   "I'll think twice before answering the priest when we stand together on the altar."

   "Sure you will." I rolled my eyes, releasing myself from his embrace. "But I meant it, I'm really cold." He chuckled a bit.

   "Does that mean I'm not hot enough for you ?" He raised a brow.

   "You're not hot at all." I stuck my tongue out. "Anyway, let me go. Bye, oppa !" I was about to wave, when he held my hand. He used his other hand to lift my chin and lightly pecked my lips.

   "See you tomorrow, sweetie." He kind of whispered, still really close to my face. Maybe it's not that cold anymore...

   I went straight to the bathroom and after my shower I immediately slipped under my blanket. Honestly speaking, I was too happy to be able to sleep. I needed to tell it to someone and I didn't feel like going to Il Hoon's room, so I texted Zelo.

   I did it !

   After sharing the good news with him I yawned and turned to the side, ready to go sleep. On the next morning I saw his reply.

  You did what ?

  Sorry, ma baby, I was already sleeping. I don't think I'll have the nerve to tell you what happened personally, though. In fact, I don't really know how to behave around Dae Hyun when other people are watching now. That's so embarassing...