Message

Cinderella Life

   I woke up, had breakfast and lied on the sofa. Zelo's parents already left to work, so I feel a lot more comfortable, because in front of them I'm always trying to be overly respectful and I carefully think and rethink about everything before doing or saying whatever it is. Anyway. Zelo left some time ago and I didn't bother asking why. I just need him back for lunch, as I don't really feel like having instant noodles today.

   You know, I had a dream. It actually felt more like a nightmare. I don't really want to remember it, so I won't go too deep.

   I was shopping by myself. The mall was crowded and I didn't like it at all, but I was still happy for some reason. Maybe I'm really a shopaholic. Then there was a thunder and the sky got dark. It started raining and everyone left, which makes no sense, I mean, why would you leave a covered place to go out in the rain ? But somehow I ended up outside as well. My bags ? I hadn't even noticed I wasn't carrying anything at the time.

   The rain was pouring and I didn't have an umbrella with me. Then I saw someone running in my direction with an umbrella and I unconciously smiled. It was Dae Hyun. I was about to open my arms to thank him for coming with a hug, but he just dashed by me. I was frozen for a couple seconds. He didn't even look at my face. I turned around to see where he was running to and I immediately regretted being so curious. There was that girl. Dae Hyun's noona. He was sharing his umbrella with her, while I was in the rain with no shelter, but I couldn't care less about getting soaked, given the circumstances.

   I suddenly stopped feeling the raindrops hitting my head and shoulders. I slowly turned my head to see what was covering me. I tried to run away, but he grabbed my wrist. That old man from the airport was holding an umbrella for me. I screamed for Dae Hyun, but he didn't bother, he was too entertained talking to that girl.

   I was dragged to some deserted alley and, well, you know what happened next. He left and I stayed there, sitting on the filthy floor and leaning against the cold wall, until Il Hoon showed up. He walked to me, put a jacket around my shoulders and helped me up. He supported my body as we walked and we passed by Dae Hyun and that girl. They looked at me and, with a contemptible look, turned their backs to me and walked away. I was too weak to be mad at him, so I just let Il Hoon lead me home.

   You have no idea how relieved I was when I woke up and realized everything was nothing but a dream. I've been thinking all morning about it, though. Was this dream a sign ? A sign telling me to forget Dae Hyun ? Is he having fun with his noona in Hokkaido ? I don't really want to think about it.

   Trying to forget about my dream and what happened in the airport, I put my earphones on and closed my eyes, listening to some relaxing music. At some point I fell asleep. Fortunately, I didn't have another nightmare. At least I don't remember it, which is good enough.

   I was quite nervous, anxious, I'm not really sure, but I couldn't stay still, so I decided to go out and buy something to eat, but as I stepped out of the house, I ran into Zelo.

   "Where are you going ?"

   "I'm getting something to eat. Want to come ?"

   "Sure."

   We went to a nearby café, but it was too crowded, so, as it was already past 12 p.m., we decided to go straight to a restaurant. For obvious reasons, it wasn't one of dad's restaurants. It was a really luxurious restaurant, so the manager didn't want to let us in, but when I told him who my "dad" was he immediately smiled and led us to a table. I guess dad is a lot more famous than I had ever imagined.

   "Good afternoon, miss." A waiter approached us and I could see some other waiters whispering among themselves and pointing at me. That was totally embarrassing. "I will be your waiter for today. Whatever you need, just raise your hand and I will come as fast as a lightning ! I hope you have a wonderful time here and an even better meal. If you have any comments or complaints, I'm all ears and will do everything I can to get everything perfectly done for you." Zelo cleared his throat, probably feeling left out, and I giggled. "Good afternoon, young man." He forced a smile. "Now I shall excuse myself." He bowed and left.

   "So," Zelo started off. "Are you still mad with Dae Hyun hyung ?"

   "What ?" I furrowed my brows.

   "Just yes or no, Rika."

   "Definitely yes."

   "Why ?" He pursed his lips, probably feeling a little uncomfortable for asking me these kind of questions. 

   "Why ? You still have to ask me why ? I already told you everything and you still can't understand why I am mad with him ?" I was suddenly feeling really angry, so I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. I guess Zelo noticed it, as he stayed silent for some time.

   "What if" He carefully started and I opened my eyes. "you got everything wrong ?" I once again furrowed my brows.

   "No way. He told me everything. Dae Hyun himself admitted that he wanted to get me jealous. He ignored me on purpose and because of that I was kissed by that disgusting old man."

   "I don't mean that part. And he apologized anyway, didn't he ?"

   "As if everything could be forgiven after an apology." I mumbled.

   We were in silence for about 15 minutes. It wasn't awkward, I just didn't feel like talking and neither did Zelo. But then I could see the waiter approaching us with our food and Zelo broke the silence.

   "If Dae Hyun hyung was here to talk to you, what would you do ?" He bit his lip, afraid of my answer.

   "I would go away." I mouthed a 'thank you' to the waiter who had just placed our plates in front of us.

   "I hope you don't really mean it." I tilted my head, not understanding, but then it hit me. The dish Zelo ordered was Dae Hyun's favorite, not his.

   "Oh no, you're not doing it, Choi Jun Hong." I threatened, sternly pointing at him.

   "I really want you guys to make up, ok ? At least give him a chance to explain. Please ?" His failed puppy eyes somehow worked with me.

   "Fine. But I'm leaving in 10 minutes. You better be at home." 

   "Don't worry, I'll be there. Well, I'll get going then. Be nice to him, Rika." He patted my shoulder once, before leaving.

   Zelo left and less than one minute later Dae Hyun was sitting in front of me. I sighed and he lowered his head. He didn't know what to say and I totally felt like leaving him and going home, but I didn't. After about three minutes in silence, I decided to say something myself.

   "You have seven minutes." I said expressionlessly and he got kind of desperate to find something to say.

   "Erm... I... Well... Uh..." He couldn't find the right words and I was getting sick of waiting.

   "Six minutes."

   He mumbled incoherent whatevers until he decided to include Zelo in the conversation.

   "I met Zelo this morning."

   "So he was with you." I mumbled to myself and he didn't hear. At least I think he didn't.

   "He said you were really mad at me." He carefully examined my expression, but I didn't show any kind of emotion. "Are you ?" He leaned forward, closer to my face.

   "What do you think ?"

   "I guess so." He slowly sat back.

   Then there was silence again. I couldn't handle it anymore, so I stood up and left. They know who my dad is, they can charge me later, I'm not really in the mood to wait for the bill right now.

   Already outside of the restaurant, Dae Hyun grabbed my arm, but I had had enough, so I just glared at him, forcing him to let go of me, and went home.

   "So, what happened ?" Zelo was lying on the sofa and sat up when he saw me coming in.

   "Nothing. Absolutely nothing." I headed to the refrigerator to get something to eat, as I didn't get the chance to eat at the restaurant.

   "What do you mean ?" He came to the kitchen and leaned against the wall with his arms crossed.

   "He didn't have anything to say." I shrugged and he furrowed his brows at me questioningly. "We stayed in silence. The only time he opened his mouth was to ask if I was mad and then there was silence again, so I came back home."

   Zelo sighed and I just passed by him, going straight to my room. I lied on the bed and stared at the ceiling, trying to remove any kind of thought from my mind.

   Not long after that, I heard Zelo talking on the phone and assumed it was with Dae Hyun, so I opened my door slowly and tried to listen to their conversation.

   "...happened ? She came home angrier than she was before." Then he was in silence, probably listening to Dae Hyun's answer. "You had never been nervous in front of her, why now ?" Pause. "You're an idiot." Time. "I may be an idiot, but you are worse." Silence. "She is already mad at me, what do you expect me to do ?" There was a long pause. "She won't agree." Time. "No, she won't." Pause. "So what if you know her for longer than I do ? She opened the refrigerator and went to her room without getting anything, do you know how bad this is ?" I did my best not to laugh. "Yeah, yeah, sure. Let's see how it will turn out. See ya, hyung." 

   He hung up and I quickly closed the door and lied on the bed. At the moment I put my earphones on, Zelo walked in. I pretended to be asleep and I guess he believed it, as he shook me really gently. I took some time to open my eyes, just to look more realistic.

   "Why don't you take a look at your cellphone ?" Zelo handed me my cellphone. Just to make it clear, I only left the pieces of my cellphone at the airport. I wouldn't leave my SIM card, I need my contacts. I borrowed Zelo's old mobile phone and that's it. I still have a cellphone.

   "Why ?" I eyed him suspiciously.

   "You may have a new message." He awkwardly looked around.

   "Stop helping Dae Hyun, Zelo." I turned to the side and closed my eyes.

   "You really should take a look." He advised before leaving.

   As soon as I heard the door closing I got my cellphone and there was no new message. I rolled my eyes and threw it on the bed before going to the bathroom to take a shower and relax a little.

   When I was done and lied back on my bed, I checked my cellphone once again and there was a new message. I pondered for some time before actually reading the message.

   I know you are mad at me, but, please, don't ignore my message. I'm sorry for wasting your time earlier today, but I really didn't know what to say to make it better. About the airport, I was wrong. I'm aware of that. I don't expect you to come running back to me with your arms wide open, but I just want to get one thing clear. I heard you thought I had boarded the plane with that girl. But didn't I tell you before ? I wouldn't go with her. Not even if I was payed to. As soon as I saw you walking to Il Hoon's car I walked to the girls and gave my ticket to one of them. That noona wasn't really happy, but I explained everything. I told her you were not my sister. I told her you were my girlfriend and that I had messed up pretty badly. I went home right after that. I wanted to take you with me, but I decided to give you some time alone. I asked Zelo to meet me this morning to ask if he thought it would be ok for you to go back home, but he said no, so I kind of planned the restaurant thing with him. I didn't think it would end up the way it did. I talked to him on the phone just now and wanted to take you somewhere to talk.. again. But Zelo said you wouldn't agree, so I decided to just text you. I'm not sure if you read everything until here, but if you did, it means you wanted to listen to what I have to say, right ? Please forgive me, sweetie.