Good Luck

Cinderella Life

   "So, how did it go?" Dae Hyun had asked me to meet him outside.

   "Fine, I guess. I'm in, but I'm not sure if it's a good thing."

   "What do you mean?"

   "Well, dad will probably kick me out of the house..."

   "He won't."

   "I won't be getting any more allowance..."

   "So what?"

   "And I will have to stay in the dorms starting from today."

   I was in silence for a second. Does that mean I won't be able to see him anymore? "Is that even a problem? It's your dream, after all." I did my best to smile.

   He smiled and then sighed, looking at the house. "I wonder what dad will say."

   "That you are a terrible son who doesn't listen to his father and only thinks about himself."

   "Awesome." He lowered his head.

   "Hey, it's the chance of a lifetime! Don't be so depressed because of what your dad will think of you. Just go there, work hard and give him a reason to be proud of calling you his son." I gave him a hug in a attempt to comfort him. Okay, it's a lie. I hugged him because I felt like it. Because I was already missing him.

   It is a terrible feeling. To know I won't be able to spend my everyday with him anymore. But it's for a good reason. Right? His lifelong dream is finally coming true, so I should be happy for him, but why do I feel so miserable? I must be really selfish.

   "Now leave. You should go to the dorm, right? I will pack your stuff and take it to you later."

   "What about my dad?"

   "I will deal with him, just go."

   "What about you?" This caught me off-guard.

   "I will go back home, don't worry." I forced myself to smile, even though all I wanted to do was burst into tears and beg him to stay with me.

   "Are you going to be fine with your stepmother?"

   "Yes, Dae Hyun, just go!" I pushed him away and went inside the house.

   One more question, one more minute looking at him and I wouldn't be able to control my tears anymore. I closed the door and rested my back against it. I slowly slided down until I was sitting on the floor and covered my face with my hands, allowing a few tears to fall. Only a few. It wouldn't be nice if dad saw me like that, so I wiped those tears with the back of my hands, took a deep breath and went to Dae Hyun's room to pack his things.

   Each piece of clothing of his that I put inside the suitcase felt like he was taking one more step further from me. I wanted to put everything back in his closet, but I couldn't. How could I do that to him? This is his dream, I should be supporting him. And it's not like I will never see him again, right? We will still keep in touch, right? He will still be the same Dae Hyun I fell for, right? I just hope I'm right.

   As I was taking another suitcase, dad saw me. "Where are you going?"

   "Me? Nowhere." Well, I wasn't lying.

   "Hm. So, how was your trip?" He leaned against the wall, smiling.

   "It was nice. There were some accidents on the way, but nothing enough to ruin the trip." I was wondering why he didn't ask what was the suitcase for, but I was glad he didn't.

   "That's good to hear. But tell me, do you know where Dae Hyun is? When I arrived yesterday night I was expecting to be at home, but he wasn't anywhere to be seen, so I thought he would be with you somewhere, but now you are here and he is not." Uh-oh.

   I froze for a second and then sighed. "Okay, here's the deal. Dae Hyun is going to debut as a singer, so I'm packing his stuff to take to his dorm." His face was turning red.

   "Dae Hyun is what?" He was fuming and I was seriously afraid. "Where is he? I'm bringing him back."

   "Why? What is so wrong with chasing your dreams?" I felt like he would slap me anytime soon, but I couldn't back out now. I couldn't just let dad ruin Dae Hyun's dream.

   "What is so wrong with getting financially stable before following your dreams? What is so wrong with getting your own life before ruining it because of a silly dream?"

   "Do you want him to become 30 before becoming a singer? Do you know how hard it is for older people to become popular?"

   "What about Shinhwa? Lee Hyori? Kim Jong Kook?"

   "They debuted a long time ago and solidified their fame when they were a lot younger. Maybe if you allowed your son to chase his dream he would have the chance to get a lasting carrer like these artists!" I took a deep breath. "Don't you want Dae Hyun to be happy? Don't you think he would be a lot happier on stage than sitting in an office?"

   He sighed. "I just want to protect him, Rika. Try to understand, I'm his dad and he has no mother to be the sweet advisor. I need to be tough if I want to get the best of him. What if this whole thing doesn't turn out well? I want him to live a comfortable life, I don't want to see my son exhausting his body for a job that won't give him what he deserves. My money won't last forever, you know that."

   "Just let him try. If it doesn't turn out the way we expected, I promise that I myself will make him give up, so, please, let him do it for now."

   "Maybe.. I guess it wouldn't do any harm to try.. But what about school? He is already one year late."

   "Il Hoon can help him with that. They are in the same class, after all. I can also help him if Il hoon lend me his notes."

   He sighed once again. "Fine. I'm counting on you, then. For both helping him with studies and putting his feet back on the ground if he fails."

   "Deal." I smiled.

   I really did it. I really convinced dad to let Dae Hyun walk the path of fame. I rock!

   I went back to Dae Hyun's room to finish packing his stuff, and, while removing the dirty clothes from the suitcase he took to Brazil, I found a letter. To me. I was slightly afraid to read it, but I couldn't help my curiosity. I unfolded it hesitantly and almost stopped when I read the first line.

   I'm sorry.

   I did fold the letter back, but, not long after that, I resumed my reading.

   I'm sorry.

   For not being the boyfriend you have always wanted. For not being the friend you have always wished for. For not being the brother you deserved.

   I'm sorry for everything I did to you. For everything I made you go through. For disappointing you in so many ways.

   When you left for your trip, I didn't even get to say goodbye properly, because you were angry with me. Well, it was my fault anyway. But now I don't know if I will ever be able to say one more "hello" or even one more "sorry".

   I've been thinking about our relationship and all I've done until now was hurting you. This needs to stop. That's why I'm not going to bother you anymore. I won't hurt you anymore. I won't ever make you cry again. I won't be there anymore to suddenly leave you alone somewhere.

   Don't blame yourself for whatever happens to me.

   I love you and always will, but you deserve someone better than me.

   I will always be yours, but you don't have to be mine. Please move on and never look back. Erase me from your memory.

   I hope you read this, because it means you woke up. I just want you to know that, wherever I am, I will always be looking after you, protecting you and giving you strength.

   Be happy, sweetie. Find a nice man to spend the rest of your life with and get the three kids you have always wanted. They will have the best mom in the world.

   When times get rough, I will always be there to help you. Not as your boyfriend, but as your brother-like friend. Your guardian angel.

   Goodbye, little sis.

     From your big bro, Jung Dae Hyun.                

 

   I didn't cry. Maybe because I knew he wouldn't become an angel that soon.

   I honestly didn't know what to feel towards that letter. In a way, it was really sweet, but I was kind of mad with him for taking all those ridiculous decisions by himself. But I'm really surprised I didn't cry.

 

   I sent Dae Hyun a message asking for the adress and, as I was preparing to leave, I realized I couldn't walk all the way carrying two huge suitcases. Luckily, dad offered to give me a ride. I guess he would like to talk to his son as well.

   We knocked on the door and this really scary guy opened the door. "Who are you?" His voice was just as scary as himself.

   "Erm... We are here to see Dae Hyun. We brought his stuff." I stuttered a little, but anyway.

   The guy smiled, which made him look less scary. "Oh, hi. I'm Yongguk, the soon-to-be leader. Please, come in."

   We walked inside uncomfortably and spotted three guys sitting on the sofa and one on the floor. They were talking, but silence filled the room as we walked in. Dae Hyun was there. As soon as he saw us, he got a shock and walked to us, stuttering. "D-D-Dad? W-What are y-you d-d-doing here?"

   "Relax, wannabe star, you're not in trouble." I smirked and he released a breath he was holding in.

   He pulled me to a corner and whispered. "What did you do?"

   "A lot. You totally owe me one." 

   "I do." We walked back and he introduced us to the rest of the boys.

   Dae Hyun and his dad went to the kitchen to talk and I stayed in the living room with the rest of the group. I didn't really know what to say, so I just stayed in silence. They did the same and it was totally awkward. The pretty looking guy, the Kim something, broke the silence.

   "So, before you arrived we were discussing the fact that we need another rapper. Honestly speaking, me and Jong Up can't sing that well nor rap that well. I'm here to be the visual and he's here to be the dancer, so we only have this guy here." He pointed to Yongguk, who continued from where Kim something stopped.

   "Do you, by any chance, know any good rapper? The trainees from our agency are far from being good enough to debut."

   "Maybe I do..." I thought for a while. "Can you excuse me for a second? I will make a call."

   "Sure." The guy who I have no idea who is smiled. I guess he is the other vocal. Yeah, must be him.

   I went outside and called Zelo. 

   "Hello?"

   "Zelo, remember that rap competition you won last year?"

   "Oh, come on, it's 6 a.m."

   "Not for me. It's actually 5:57 p.m., so stop complaining and answer."

   "Yeah, why?"

   "Do you have any plans on trying to become famous? As a rapper?" 

   "Not really... Why?"

   "Because Dae Hyun is going to debut and the group needs one more rapper. Want to give it a shot?"

   "I can't go back to Seoul now. You know, things are finally working out with Hye Ji, I'm taking her out for dinner tonight."

   "So you finally learned how to talk to girls, huh? That's my boy!"

   "Just shut up."  I laughed.

   "What if you don't have to come back? Would you try?"

   "Maybe."

   "Hang on."

   I went back inside and to the living room. "So, I have this friend who won a rap competition last year, but he is in Brazil right now and will only come back in about two weeks."

   "Can he do it through the phone?" Yongguk asked me.

   "Why don't you ask him?" I put the phone on speaker.

   "Zelo, you are on speaker and the whole group, except for Dae Hyun, is here. Don't mess up." I giggled and two of the guys chuckled.

   "Show us what you've got, buddy."  Yongguk said.

   Zelo rapped that ridiculously fast part of Outsider's "Loner" and the boys had their mouths wide open. I chuckled in silence looking at their expressions.

   "Dude, do you mind meeting us when you come back?"

   "Hm, sure."

   "Good. See you then."

   I hung up and they kept mumbling to each other about how good Zelo was. Not long after that, Dae Hyun and dad came to the living room. "Rika, say goodbye to them and let's go home, I'll be waiting for you in the car." Dad waved goodbye and left.

   "What did he tell you?" I had pulled Dae Hyun to a corner.

   "He asked if I was sure of what I was doing and he said he would believe me this time. He also said I should thank you, so" He pecked my lips really quickly. "thank you, sweetie." I smiled.

   "You're welcome, oppa. Ah, here." I handed him the letter I had read a few hours ago. I wrote something on the back of it. He looked at me kind of shocked, but he smiled when he read it.

   My three kids will also have the best dad in the world. You. 

   I gave him one last kiss. "Good luck, Jung Dae Hyun."