Park I

Cinderella Life

   "Are you hungry ?"

   "Starving." I placed my hands on my stomach.

   "Thought so. Come on." Dae Hyun pulled me to a restaurant we were just passing by.

   "Wait !" I stopped on my tracks. "Are you hungry ?"

   "Probably more than you."

   "Good."

   "Why ?"

   "I just didn't want to think that I eat too much."

   "But you do."

   "You too."

   "But you're a girl."

   "So what ?"

   "Girls usually care about their appearance."

   "I'm not going to be hungry just to avoid ingesting a few calories more than what I should to be a stick."

   "That's what I like about you." He laughed. "And you look good like this anyways, so you don't have to change."

   "Well, thank you, mister."

   "You're welcome, sweetie."

   Don't think we are eating right after breakfast. It's about 1p.m., so I have all the rights to be hungry by now.

   We walked around for about 3 hours, but it wasn't boring. Not at all.

   We had fun, in fact. We went to the mall, ready to put our shopaholic instincts in action once again. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad marrying him. Going shopping every weekend without having to worry about money.. I can get used to that. I would always worry about one thing though. All his money comes from his dad's restaurant chain, what will happen once his father is not able to manage his business anymore ? Will Dae Hyun be able to play his role ? Or will we end up as a previously-wealthy-now-bankrupt couple ? I'm not such a material girl as it may sound. I'm just worried about our future, you know ? I mean, if we are going to lose everything, we shouldn't be wasting money like this.

   Enough of pessimistic thoughts.

   As soon as we stepped in the restaurant, one of dad's, the manager and a waiter came to us and took our bags full of purchases from our hands, just after bowing. Right after they left, another waiter led us to our usual table. One more waiter joined us and they pulled the chairs for Dae Hyun and I to sit, pushing us closer to the table right after. Two more waiters came in our direction, as the previous ones left, with menus in hand, even though we didn't need it, as we had already memorized and tried everything they had. With a bow, the last two left. People in the restaurant kept on staring at us the whole time, wondering what we were. Whatever, we are used to it.

   Since I was a kid, dad would always tell his employees I was his daughter, so every time Dae Hyun or I went to one of his restaurants, all the workers would call us young bosses or something like that. Pretty cool, huh ?

   We ate and left. No paying. About our bags ? They are probably already at home by now. And by home I mean Dae Hyun's house.

   By 3:30 p.m. we were in a park. The same park we used to run to whenever one of us fought with our dads, needed some advice or someone to talk to. We come here since we were little kids for trivial matters, such as not getting the toy we wanted, being forbidden of watching our favorite cartoon, or getting scolded for eating candies before the meals. As we grew up we started coming here more often. 

[Flashback]

Late 2011

  "Rika, can you come to the park now ?"

  "Why ? Is something wrong ?"

  "Yeah, I need someone to talk to."

  "Ok, I'm on my way."

  I arrived and he was under the streetlight that holds all our talks, secrets, laughs and tears. I didn't even get to say hi.

  "The CEO told me I'm going to debut in a group named B.A.P." He said expressionlessly.

  "Really !? That's awesome !" I barely screamed.

  "Yeah, yeah, thanks. But I'm not going to."

  "What ?" My smile faded.

  "Dad won't let me."

   "Why not ? It has always been your dream to be a singer."

  "Yeah, but it doesn't matter to him. He said that the music industry is a trap. You may be lucky and make tons of money, but you'll most likely fail and end up as an ignorant person for most idols give up on studies, and, even if they don't, they are not able to fully dedicate themselves to academics."

  "He's not wrong, you know ?"

  "Well, thank you for the help." He rolled his eyes.

   "Come on, Dae Hyun. You know I'm the one who has been cheering for you the most all this time. And no one told you to keep you being a trainee a secret from you dad in the first place." There was silence.

   "Go home." He mumbled.

   "Don't be mad at me, please." I grabbed his hand.

   "I'm not." He took his hand away.

   "Yes, you are. I know you're sad and angry right now, but it's not my fault." He sighed.

   "I know, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be mad at you, but I can't help it. I'm just... I don't know. Please understand it."

   "Don't worry. And don't forget that I will always be your #1 fan !" I hugged Dae Hyun, in an attempt to confort him. In fact, I was the one who needed being corforted at the time. I was almost crying, seeing his miserable expression. His dream had been crushed down and it really hurt me to see him like that.

   "Thank you, sis." He my hair and I let one or two tears fall. Luckily, he didn't see.

   "And anyways, why don't you go to university, graduate and try again ? Your dad won't be able to stop you then." 

   "I will. And I might even agree with the marriage thing, just to make dad happy and easier to convince."

   "Don't use me, oppa. At the age of 13 I'm not getting married and the three of us are well aware of that." I pouted, but I knew he wasn't serious.

   "When I graduate you'll be 18 though." He winked.

   "Alright then. I'll be waiting for you, my charming prince." I carressed his cheek with the back of my hand.

   "Wait for your fairy tale to begin, princess." He kissed my hand.

[End of flashback]

  We both needed some motherly advices sometimes, so we would take the role of each other's mom in these cases. It was obviously not the same though. Both our dads worked from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. every weekday, so sometimes we would stay at school for five or six extra hours, as we didn't want to be home alone. Poor kids.

   Living without mothers caused us to grow up faster. We would think and act like people a lot older than us. Even though we matured fast in some ways, we were still kids in others. An example is love. Neither of us has ever dated yet. Dae Hyun's first kiss happened when he was 16. In my case, I'm still waiting for my soulmate. I remember that when I was younger I would say that my first kiss would be with Il Hoon. Silly me, you're not supposed to kiss your brother.