Cheesecake

Cinderella Life

   "Sooooo ?" I kept on changing topics, but Il Hoon wouldn't give up that easily.

   "So what ?"

   "You haven't answered me yet."

   "What was the question ?" He sighed.

   "All this runaround of yours just further confirms my suspicions, you know ?"

   "If you already know, then why are you asking me ?"

   "I want to hear it from you."

   "Why ?"

   "I just do. I've been noticing the way you've been acting when Dae Hyun hyung is around for the past two weeks. And don't think I didn't notice your expression when you were hugging him that day."

   "Damn it." I lowered my head.

   "Don't worry." He chuckled. "You should be happy that he likes you too."

   "I am. I guess... It's just too embarrassing that both you and Zelo noticed it. And I thought I was being able to conceal it well." I mumbled the last part.

   "You are a good actress, indeed. But in this situation, not even the best actress in the world would be successful. We know you too well."

   I just sighed. Why did both of them noticed, but the one I needed to didn't ?

   We just sat there in silence, with Il Hoon taking glimpses of me every once in a while.

   After some time, Dae Hyun and Zelo came back. Now that I think of it, I'm starving. Zelo had a sandwich in hand and Dae Hyun had his same old cheesecake.

   "So, what's your answer ?" Il Hoon suddenly asked.

   "What ?" I knew what he was talking about, but the shock gave me a mental lag.

   "Want me to repeat the question ?" He raised his brow.

   "NO !" Dae Hyun and Zelo stared at me wide eyed and Il Hoon just chuckled. "I like him, ok ? A lot." I blurted and felt my cheeks burning.

   "Like who ?" Dae Hyun sat down and scrutinized my face.

   "Pororo." I quickly shot back and looked away. "Zelo, give me a bite of your sandwich, I'm hungry !" I changed topics before giving them a chance to ask anything else.

   Zelo shoved half of his sandwich in his mouth, finishing it off in one bite. "Sorry, if only you had asked earlier.." He shrugged, smiling meekly. "Hyung, why don't you give her some of your cheesecake ?" Dae Hyun choked and I cleared my throat, blushing again.

   While Il Hoon tapped a choking Dae Hyun's back, Zelo walked to me and whispered "Step one, make him jealous: Sucess. Step two, give you some time alone: In progress. It's up to you now, bestie." He lightly squeezed my hand and walked to the door.

   "Il Hoon hyung, can you help me with something ?"

   "Coming !" Il Hoon tapped Dae Hyun's back twice more and ran away.

   And there we were. Silence filling the room. A-W-K-W-A-R-D.

   We were sitting side by side, but we were looking at opposite directions. I was shifting uncomfortably on my chair and he was snapping his fingers. Even though I hated that sound, I couldn't face him right now.

   He suddenly cleared his throat and pushed the plastic plate in my direction. "Eat it."

   Without any eye contact I pushed it back to him. "I'm ok."

   He sighed and placed it in front of me once again. "You said you were hungry. Just eat it."

   I shook my head. "Thanks, but you can eat it yourself." Honestly, this little argument for a half eaten piece of cheesecake was getting ridiculous.

   With the corner of my eye, I could see him looking around uneasily. He suddenly took the plate back and I was half relieved, half disappointed.

   "Rika ?" He called me and I turned around. I immediately gasped, as he shoved a piece of cheesecake inside my mouth. "You're too stubborn, you know ?" And he looked away again.

   I glanced at his blushing cheeks and couldn't help but smile. I have to admit that I'm not smiling just because he's blushing. I'm way too happy right now. He has fed me several times before, but this time it felt... different. Damn, why do I feel so happy because of such a simple action ? I unconsciously started giggling. After effects of my joy, I guess.

   "What ?" Dae Hyun eyed me weirdly. I immediately froze.

   "What what ?" I avoided his gaze.

   "Nothing." He cleared his throat.

   And there was silence again.

   "Erm.." I kept on fidgeting with my fingers. He slowly looked at me. "From 1 to 10..." He raised his brows, urging me to continue. "How would you rate our friendship ?"

   He blinked a few times. "About... 7 ?"

   I nodded. I was wondering whether to ask or not, but my curiosity got the best of me. "Do you have a reason ?"

   He cleared his throat. "No." I just nodded. "What about you ?"

   I wasn't expecting that question. "10." I quickly shot back.

   "What a terrible friend I've become." He frowned a little.

   I started laughing and he soon laughed along. The awkwardness was fading. Thank God !

   I finished eating his cheesecake and went back to my class.

   Zelo interrogated me about what happened and what we talked about, but I just ignored him. When I got home, I decided to text him.

   Nothing happened. I ate his cheesecake and went back to class.

   You took all that time to eat half a piece of cheesecake ?

   We spent most of the time avoiding each other. It was awkward, you know ? I won't say that your strategy was bad, but it was too sudden.

   Sorry, I don't have experience with that, ㅋㅋㅋ. But you didn't say anything ?

   Well, I asked how would he rate our friendship from 1 to 10 and he said 7.

   Hmm. You ?

   10. Why ?

   If you say 10, doesn't it mean that your friendship is perfect and you would never want to upgrade it to something else ?

   Now that you said it, maybe..

   Idiot.

   It was all your fault anyway ! I just tried to break the silence !

   You're still an idiot.

   We're really alike, ma baby.

   Shut up and think of a convincing excuse to give to Dae Hyun hyung. After all, you know he likes you, but he doesn't know you like him.

   You didn't tell him ?

   No. I know you wouldn't want me to. I'm an awesome friend, huh ?

   Yeah, yeah. I don't know if it's good or bad though.. I mean, wouldn't it be easier if he knew I like him too ?

   I want you to tell him.

   No way ! The boy is supposed to confess first. Tell him to come to me.

   Don't be feminist ! I won't say anything. If Dae Hyun hyung realizes you like him, good for you. If he doesn't, I guess I'll never be a godfather.

   Shut up.

   Mouth zipped ! ㅋㅋㅋ

   I thought about it for a long time. No way I would let Zelo be my kid's godfather. Just kidding.

   Am I a feminist ? Well, most men are ists anyways, so why can't I be ? Dae Hyunnie, you better come to me.