Wondering

Cinderella Life

   Two weeks went by and I didn't dare to bring that topic up again, not even once. It's not like I'm not curioys anymore. I am. A lot. But I'm afraid of what my hormones might do to me next time.

   During these two weeks I haven't been able to sleep properly, nor to pay attention to classes, which is terrible, as the final exams are coming. My mind was filled with thoughts about two things: one was, obviously, mom; the other was, well, my lifelong best friend, Jung Dae Hyun. Was I even supposed to fall for him ?

   Ever since dad started calling me daughter-in-law I was determined to prove him wrong, to make him realize Dae Hyun and I weren't meant to be together. But, well, things are not turning out that well for me, apparently.

   To be honest, I don't even know why I let him call me daughter in law in the first place. Maybe if I had told him to stop calling me that right at the beggining things wouldn't have gone so far. And this is what got me thinking. Why did I let him call me that ? What if I have loved Dae Hyun for a long time, but I've been mistaking friendship with love ? What if I was jealous about his first kiss because I wanted it to be with me and not because I was an overprotective friend ? What if I unconsciously liked being called Dae Hyun's girlfriend ? Oh, crap.

   I even thought about not talking to him until these weird feelings fade, as I'm too proud to admit that dad was right, that I've actually loved Dae Hyun all along, but no. This is a good thing, right ? I love the guy I'm going to marry. It's awesome... isn't it ? I'm going to marry my childhood best friend. Perfect... right ? I will be happy and I'll be able to make him happy too. Hopefully...

   Ever since I decided to welcome these feelings for him with my arms wide open another thing has been bothering me. How am I supposed to tell him that ? Somehow, I'm managing to not be awkward when I'm with him, but everytime I look at his face I imagine the different reactions he may have when I tell him that I love him as more than just a friend. But are these even the right words ? Should I be so straightforward ? Should I try to make him realize my feelings for him ? Saying something like "I consider you as more than just a friend." should work. But if he just smiles and say "Me too, you're a sister of another mother." I might kick his beautiful face.

   I think I'll just bring the marriage stuff up again. Ask him what he thinks about it. I remember when I asked him last time and he said that he wouldn't mind if I didn't mind, but this time I will push him further. There's a little problem, though. What if he says he will marry me, but that he only sees me as a friend or a sister ? I wouldn't be happy. Not even a tiny bit. Yeah, bad idea.

   Then what should I do ? Being too straightforward is embarrassing, the opposite is too risky. Damn it.

   Zelo suddenly poked my waist and I almost fell off the chair. Class was over and I didn't even know what class it was.

   "What were you thinking about ?" He sat on my desk.

   I looked up and shot him a fake smile. "None of your business."

   "As you wish, my baby." He stood up and went back to his desk, next to mine.

   I thought for a while and realized something. Zelo is also my best friend. And, as far as I know, he is a guy too. I kicked his foot and motioned him to come back. He was about to sit on my desk again, but I pulled him to the ground. He was kind of annoyed.

   "Just sit, I need to ask you something." He obeyed, not very pleased.

   The reason I needed him on the floor was our height difference. If he was on my desk, I would have to speak out loud and everyone would listen. With him on the floor I could whisper in his ear and it would stay as the secret it actually is.

   "Don't take what I'm going to say now too seriously, ok ?" He nodded and I got closer to his ear. "What would you do if I said I love you as more than just a friend ?"

   "I would say that I love you as well." He whispered back.

   "W-what ?" His answer got me off guard.

   "You told me not to take what you said too seriously, then why are you so shocked with my answer ? I'm just going with the flow." He shrugged.

   "Oh, right. But what if I was serious ? How would you react ?"

   "I would run away from you. You're not good enough for me." My foot accidentally hit his shoulder and he fell on the floor. He glared at me, controlling his urge of tossing me out of the window.

   "You really don't help at all." I pouted.

   "I was kidding, ok ? Don't get offended." He was rubbing his hurt shoulder.

   "Don't worry. You're not good enough for me either." I smirked and he scoffed. Then I was suddenly serious again. "What I just asked you... forget it."

   The teacher arrived and he went back to his seat.

   I couldn't pay attention to this class either. A lot of things were running through my mind, especially Zelo's answer. What if Dae Hyun's answer was just like his ? I guess if he makes fun of me will be better than if he says he loves me as a sister. Now there's something else that got me wondering. Do boys also have these problems ? Do they keep thinking about how to confess to the girl they like or do they just walk to her and say it at once ?

   The bell rang again, this time signalling the break. Time to face my loved one. Take a deep breath, count to 10 and let's go.

   Zelo and I were walking side by side when he said "You should tell him." I stopped on my tracks and grabbed his wrist.

   "What ?"

   "Dae Hyun hyung. You should tell him."

   "Tell him what ?" I knew what he was talking about, but I pretended I didn't just to make sure I was right and wouldn't blurt anything unnecessary.

   "What you asked me in class. I know that was meant to Dae Hyun hyung." He looked at me, smiling softly.

   "H-how did you... ?" I was blushing madly.

   "I know you, bestie." He chuckled and winked.

   He started walking again and I was left behind for some seconds, as I was too embarrassed, or too shocked, I'm not really sure. In fact, I needed to vent my feelings and Zelo just came in handy.

   "Zelo, wait !" I ran towards him and he turned around.

   "Yeah ?"

   "If you were him, how would you react ?" I couldn't raise my head, it was way too embarrassing.

   "It's really funny, you know ?"

   "What ?" I looked at him and he was gazing at the sky.

   "It's like déjà vu."

   "What !?" I really didn't get what he meant and it was getting me uneasy.

   "He asked me this same thing some time ago." He stared at me, waiting for my reaction. Or the lack of it. "Rika ?" He waved his hand in front of my face.

   "W-what did you just say ?" I still couldn't believe what I had heard.

   "Dae Hyun hyung has been asking me if you talk to me about him and what do you think about him for some time now. I haven't given him a proper answer yet, though." He kind of chuckled.

   "For how long ?" I was still trying to swallow the information.

   "Hm.." He thought for a while. "Since his dad's party, I guess."

   "And why didn't you tell me before, Choi Jun Hong !?" I'm not sure whether I was mad or happy or surprised or all of the alternatives, but I screamed. Kind of.

   "Because he told me not to." He shrugged.

   "Huh ? Why would he say that ?"

   "He was afraid his feelings for you would ruin your friendship. I probably shouldn't be telling you this now either, but as you feel the same way he does, now you can get together." He smirked and lightly bumped on my shoulder.

   I was frozen. I was happy, though. I guess. On the other hand, another something was bothering me. Isn't the guy supposed to confess first ? How can I get Dae Hyun to tell me he likes me ?

   "Zelo, help me." I clung to his arm.

   "What do you want ?" He pushed me away, with a disgusted face.

   "Can't you be kinder to me ?" I punched his arm, pouting.

   "Nope. Now tell me what do you want." I hit him once again before resuming my speech.

   "Help me... with... Dae Hyun." My voice was getting gradually lower and in the end it was barely audible.

   "Help you with what ?" He smirked mischievously and inched closer to my face.

   "Dae Hyun..." I kind of whispered, staring at the ground.

   "Whaaaaat ?" He kept on teasing me.

   "Yah ! You heard it already, !"

   He started laughing histerically and pulled me to the college's building, which was right in front of us.

   As we reached their class after 17 minutes, the longest we had ever taken, they greeted us with complaints like "I'm starving !" and "What took you so long ?", to which Zelo retorted "You could meet us outside, which would be a lot faster, you know ?"

   "What were you doing, anyway ?" Il Hoon questioned.

   "Dating. Kissing, cuddling, you know." Zelo casually answered, shrugging.

   I froze, Dae Hyun got appalled, Il Hoon chuckled. Zelo just walked away.

   "Hyung, why don't you go with Zelo ? I want to talk to my sis now." Dae Hyun nodded and left.

   I was left with a puzzled expression on my face. He approached me smirking and with every step he took towards me, I took one back.

   "So, lil sis." He started off. "Do you have something to tell me ?"

   "About what ?" I nervously asked, still stepping back.

   "Dating." He stopped.

   "I'm not dating. Zelo was just joking."

   "I know. I'm not talking about him. Nor am I talking about a current relationship." He sat and motioned me to sit in front of him. "What do you think about your fiancé ?"

   "Dae Hyun ? He's ok." I avoided his eyes.

   "I know he's ok." He rolled his eyes. "But as a girl, how do you feel towards him ?"

   "Why ?" Damn it. I was more than embarrassed.

   "Just because." He shrugged.

   Gosh. Why did I even leave my class today ? I just hope this break will go by faster than ever.