Eavesdropping

Cinderella Life

   As soon as I arrived at Zelo's house we bought the tickets on the internet and went downstairs to eat.

   "So, Rika" Zelo's mom broke the silence. "You have already gone to Brazil before, right ?"

   "Yeah, but it's been a long time already. I went there when I was about seven years old."

   "But do you still remember something from there ? I mean, so that you can give us some advice on what kind of clothes to take or what places to visit."

   "Hm." I thought for a while, trying to remember my trip. "I remember it was really hot when I went there, but I'm not the kind of person who usually feels cold, so I'm not the best one to talk about climate."

   "It's going to be summer when we go there, right ?" Zelo's dad asked right after swallowing a huge ammount of rice.

   "Yes, but I have a friend who lives in Brazil and she always tells me that the weather there is unpredictable. Last summer was colder than winter."

   "A friend ? A girl ? Our age ?" Zelo interrupted me.

   "Yeah, yeah." I pushed his face, which was too close for comfort, away. "But keep in mind that 'cold' for Brazilian people is 'warm' for us. Though it's still a good idea to take a jacket, as the temperature may drop at night." They nodded and we finished eating.

   Suddenly I remembered something. That friend has been telling me about a Shi Hoo guy that she wants to introduce to me. In two years he's coming back to Korea and she wants us to meet. Should I tell her I'm going to Brazil ? Should I tell her about Dae Hyun ? I'll think about it later.

   I left their house to be back home before Hee Yeon. Zelo didn't flirt wth me, he's propably too shy to be a playboy in front of his parents. Silly you, bestie.

 

   11p.m.: As I walked to Il Hoon's room, I had only one thing in mind: mom.

   I went in and he was in his everyday position, listening to music. Just like every night, I lied on his lap, but tonight it would be different. I tapped his headphones and he took it off, staring at me with a confused look.

   "Can I ask you something ?" I carefully asked.

   "Sure." He placed the headphones on the bed.

   "What do you know about my mom's death ?" He froze a little.

   "Not much." He answered after clearing his throat.

   "What do you know ?"

   "Nothing you should know about." He tried to put his headphones back on, but I stopped him.

   "Why not ?"

   "Because it was not a really dignified way of dying."

   "I still want to know." I took the headphones from him.

   "You're only going to hurt yourself." He sighed. "I won't tell you anything !" He stuck his tongue out and covered my eyes with my own hair.

   I slapped his hand away and took my hair off my face. I pouted and he laughed. I stood up and headed to the door. As I was about to turn the doorknob, his voice stopped me.

   "You won't be mad with me, right ?"

   "For what ?" I turned around.

   "If I tell you about your mom, you won't hate me, will you ?"

   "Why would I ?"

   "You have a beautiful image of your mother. It will change as soon as you know the truth about her."

   "Was she that bad ?"

   "You've changed your mind, right ?"

   "Huh ?" I tilted my head.

   "You don't want to know anymore, do you ?"

   "I'm not sure." I stared at the ground.

   "Then go to sleep. Have sweet dreams tonight and, if you still want to know, tomorrow I'll tell you."

   "Hm." I nodded slowly. "But how do you know about her ?"

   "My mom wanted me to hate you, so she told me about your mom, hoping I would think you were just like her." He shrugged.

   "And how did your mom got to know it ?"

   "Honestly ? I have no idea. Probably your dad told her."

   "Did she do something bad to my dad ?"

   "Kind of." I nodded, lowering my eyes. What did you do, mommy ?

   I closed his door and headed to my room.

 

   I was lying on my bed. I couldn't sleep. Every possible way my mom could have died ran through my mind.

   4a.m.: I didn't get to close my eyes not even once tonight and I'll have to get up soon. Why am I not feeling tired ? This whole thing is definitely driving me crazy.

 

   I went to school with the same thought in mind. I wanted to ask everyone about my mom, but only Dae Hyun and Il Hoon know about it. I thought about asking Zelo, but he wouldn't know anything. He kept on asking me what was wrong and saying that I seemed to be far away, but, after I said it was nothing about 20 times, he just shrugged it off.

   The bell signalling the break rang and we walked to the college's building. 9 minutes. I had my mind wandering somewhere else and walked a lot slower than usual.

   After everyone left the room, I could hear Il Hoon and Dae Hyun talking. I pulled Zelo to the wall with me and we eavesdropped.

   "Has Rika talked to you about her mom ?" Il Hoon started off.

   "Why ?" Dae Hyun closed his notebook or book or folder or whatever. I can't tell just by the sound.

   "Yesterday night she asked me what I knew about it." Zelo tried to ask me what they were talking about, but I covered his mouth.

   "What did you say ?" Dae Hyun sighed.

   "That if today she still wanted to know it I would tell her."

   "Don't." He said sternly.

   "Why not ?" Il Hoon sounded slightly... afraid ?

   "If I felt like suiciding when I found out about my mom being a drug dealer, how do you think she will react when she finds out about her mom ?" Zelo stepped in. I tried to stop him, but it was useless. He cleared his throat and the boys looked at him. They froze when they spotted me behind Zelo. Dae Hyun let go of Il Hoon's collar, no wonder he sounded scared, and they both looked around, avoiding me.

   "Was my mom a drug dealer as well ?" I asked carefully.

   "No." Dae Hyun was staring out of the window.

   "Was it worse ?" I approached him.

   "Maybe." He looked at me and I froze at the thought. He sent Il Hoon a glare, stopping him from telling me anything else.

   I sighed and sat on one of the chairs. All this mistery was seriously stressing me out. I just felt like screaming, in a desperate attempt of releasing at least a little of my stress.

   And so I did. I screamed.

   The three boys stared at me wide eyed. In a sudden burst of hormones I started crying. Desperately. I hate myself for that.

   None of them knew what to do. In fact, they didn't even know the reason I was crying. I myself didn't know it either.

   Zelo, the closest to me, sat on the chair next to mine and pulled my head to his shoulder. Not a good idea. I started crying even more. He got a llittle shocked and backed off. Don't try to understand my hormones. I'm a teenage girl, after all.

   Dae Hyun came to me and put me on my feet. He embraced me and pulled my head to his chest, muffling my crying. When I had calmed down a little, I turned my head, listening to his heartbeat. That seemed to relax me and I stopped crying after a few beats.

   Wait a second. No, this can't be.

   Am I falling for him ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Hey, guys! I won't update for the next two weeks, as I'll be studying for my tests, so please be patient and wait for me ;-; HAHAHAHAHA

   And don't be silent readers, I love reading your comments ! I don't answer them, cause I don't know what to answer, but I read them all with a smile on my face :3 hahahaha