Back Home

Cinderella Life

   After two months with Hee Yeon under house arrest turning my life into a nightmare, after two months giving Il Hoon headaches from having to protect me 24/7, after two months with no sign of life from Dae Hyun, I made a decision I never thought I would. I decided to go back to my home in Japan.

   "Are you sure of that?" Il Hoon asked me while I was packing my stuff.

   "It's not like I have a choice anyway."

   "You can stay. You know I wouldn't let mom do anything to you."

   "And that's the problem. I'm being a burden to you. You won't have to worry about me anymore." I smiled and he frowned.

   "You're not a burden. You're my sister, it's my duty to protect you."

   "Half sister. Listen, I'm thankful to you in every possible way, but you will never live a peaceful life while I'm around. Take my departure as a sign of gratitude." I zipped the suitcase closed and stood up.

   "Why don't you go to Dae Hyun's house then? I wouldn't worry about you there."

   "Just like you, dad has already done too much for me. It's time for me to become independent. I'm almost 18, after all." I shot him an eye smile and passed by him with one suitcase.

   As I reached the living room, Hee Yeon took my suitcase and threw it away. "Oh, come on! I'm leaving, just like you always wanted, so give me a break." I took my suitcase back and headed to the front door.

   "Leaving?" She stopped me.

   "Yeah, because of you. I hope you are happy now, mom." Il Hoon came downstairs with my other suitcase. "Let's go, I'll take you to the airport."

   "She is not riding my car."

   "Yes, she is. Unless you want her to stay here." Hee Yeon glared at him and soon sighed. "Fine, but be quick. The less time she has to contaminate my car the best." She went to her room.

   "Ready?" Il Hoon took the suitcase from me.

   I took one last look at the house. "Yeah, let's go."

   Goodbye, home. I'm sorry, dad, but after everything I'm actually leaving your house to that witch. You don't have to stay here, dad. Let's go to Japan with me. Dae Hyun said mom might have done something bad to you, so I will understand if you don't want to be close to her, but I hope you go there for me. To be with me forever more. When I get there, I will have no one, dad. No friends, no family, no one. Mom's parents don't even know me and I never got to make friends there during our trips. Why is my life always so difficult, dad? Have I done something wrong? Sometimes I just want to forget everything and lock myself in a room forever, but I can't do that, right? Give me strength, dad. When Dae Hyun forgot about me, I had Zelo. When Zelo became too busy to talk to me everyday, I had Il Hoon. But now I'm going to a foreign country. It's my home country, but I never got the chance to build a life there. I guess it won't be that hard to get some acquaintances, but I have my doubts. Will I be able to adapt well? Aish, forget it, Rika. Don't overthink or things will turn out worse than expected. Well, I just hope no one touched the house for the last 16 years.

 

   "Good luck. And come visit me once in a while." Il Hoon smiled and ruffled my hair.

   "I will." I smiled back and straightened my hair. "Thank you, oppa. For everything." I hugged him for the last time.

   "I did nothing that you should be thankful for, but you're welcome, sis." He rested his head on top of mine and I tried to enjoy the moment. It would be the last time I would feel this safe for a long time. And, probably because of it, I couldn't hold my tears in.

   "Yah, don't cry." He slowly pushed me and wiped two or three tears away. "If you cry, I won't be able to let you leave."

   I smiled. "I would leave anyway, ." I got rid of the remaining tears rolling down my face and took a deep breath. "Okay, time to go. Goodbye, oppa." I took my suitcases and turned around, but immediately stopped on my tracks and looked at him again.

   "What's wrong?" Il Hoon looked at me slightly worried.

   "Nothing." I turned away one more time, as tears started escaping my eyes once again. In a sudden impulse, I let go of my suitcases and ran back to Il Hoon for another hug. This time I didn't care about my tears, I honestly couldn't think about anything.

   "You don't have to go if you don't want to." He carressed my head.

   "No, I have to. I don't want to be a burden to everyone anymore. It's time for me to step into the jungle we call life by myself." I smiled and he chuckled a little.

   "Alright, then. Good luck in the jungle, sis. And remember that you can always come back home. I mean, you can always ask for some help if you get lost in the jungle." I laughed and stepped away, walking back to where I left my stuff.

   This time for real, I looked back one last time and waved goodbye. He waved back and kind of screamed. "Be strong, sis!"

   I smiled to myself and walked inside the airport. Thank you, oppa. For being my safe haven until the end.

   Goodbye, Korea. The jungle is waiting for me.