Park II

Cinderella Life

   That streetlight. We caught ourselves staring at that streetlight for who knows how long. Most of our memories together brought us back to this exact spot. Real memories, I mean. Like the day I first saw his tears and the time I was able to replace those tears with a genuine smile. It worked the other way too. Before I met Zelo three years ago I would only rely on Dae Hyun when I was feeling down. Actually, he would never say anything to try to make me stop crying, he knew he wasn't good at that. But he would always lend me a shoulder to cry and try to confort me by singing my favorite songs or just my hair. It worked better than expected.

   Another memory I have is from the day Dae Hyun told me about his first kiss. I was burning with jealousy. Not with a lover's jealousy, more like a sister's jealousy. Just to I said "Now that you told me about your first kiss, I can tell you about mine." He was mad and I found it totally adorable ! He kept on asking me who the guy was and saying that he would beat him up as I was too young and stuff. Then I said it was with a girl and not a guy and he was suddenly in silence. I tried to keep a poker face, but his expression was way too funny to handle. I burst out laughing and he stared at me with a puzzled face. "I'm kidding, oppa. My lips are still clean." was all I said before giggling and cutely jumping away.

   It all happened under that streetlight. I wasn't aware of that at the time, but a lot more was about to come.

   We sat on the bench just under the streetlight. For some moments we didn't say anything, nor looked anywhere in particular. I don't know about him, but I was still immersed in my memories. After some time I noticed he was snapping his fingers even after no sound was coming out. That meant he was nervous. Why ? I decided to ask.

   "Oppa ?" He didn't listen. "Oppa !" I said a little louder this time and he got slightly surprised.

   "Y-yeah ?" His head snapped towards me.

   "What's wrong ?"

   "N-nothing." He looked away.

   "You know I can't stand the noise of finger snapping."

   "Right. Sorry, I won't do it again." He slipped his hands into his hoodie's pocket. I sighed, realizing he wouldn't say anything.

   I was back in my reverie. For some reason I started thinking about my mom. I never got to know much about her, you know ? I've seen some pictures of myself in her arms, but I couldn't help wondering what she was like. Not physically, I mean her personality. But the thing I wanted to know the most was how she passed away.

   "Dae Hyun ah ?"

   "Not oppa ?" He frowned.

   "Oppa ?" I giggled and he smiled.

   "Hm ?"

   "How did our moms die ?" His smile faded.

   "Why ?"

   "All I know is that they died together and I think I deserve to know the truth. I'm pretty grown up already, oppa."

   "Your dad asked me not to tell you anything about it. And I myself don't know that much anyways."

   "But you know more than I do."

   "I don't think you should know it, Rika." His eyes were almost begging me to stop asking, but I couldn't stop.

   "Please, oppa. It's my mom we're talking about." He let out a defeated sigh.

   "I'll tell you one thing." I nodded. "They didn't die together."

   I blinked a few times taking in what he had just said. "What do you mean ?"

   "They died in the same week, but not on the same day."

   "Go on." I tugged his sleeve lightly.

   "I can't. I made a promise with your dad, I'm sorry." He lowered his head.

   "We have never kept anything from each other, oppa. Don't start now."

   "I did. I'm not a anymore." He smirked, but I had no reaction.

   "Don't think I'm falling for it. At the moment I wouldn't care even if you said you murdered my dad, I want to know about my mom."

   "I didn't kill your dad." He looked up.

   "Don't try to change topics, Jung Dae Hyun." I forced him to look at me.

   There was a moment of silence.

   "Please, don't do it to me." He was in the brink of tears and I felt guilty, but I wouldn't stop until I got what I wanted.

   "Why can't I know it ? Is it that bad ?"

   "Trust me, please. You really don't want to know it." He stared at the ground.

   "Oppa." He slowly looked at me. I could see a lonely tear running down his face. I felt like crying myself, so I tried to lighten up the mood. "Will you really keep secrets from your wifey ? It's not the best way to start a relationship, you know ?" I smiled and pouted jokingly, taking a strand of hair off his face.

   "Trust your husband just this once, will you ?" He slowly took my hand off his hair and kissed it.

   "I trust you more than anyone, oppa. But I won't be able to sleep before I know at least a little more about this whole thing."

   "I'll sing for you." He stood up and tried to pull me up by my wrist, but I didn't move.

   "It won't work this time, Dae Hyun." I pulled him back down.

   He sighed and thought for a little while. "Just one more thing then. But promise me you will never bring this subject up again." I nodded eagerly and he closed his eyes, brething in deeply. "Your mom died because of mine and my mom died because of yours."

   And there was silence.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Hey, guys ! I'm really sorry for taking so long to update, but it's because I'm having a hard time trying to conciliate my academic life with this author life, so please understand me. >.<'

   And I know this is a short chapter, but I thought it was better to put up a short one than to take another week or so to update. What do you prefer, taking longer to update, but with longer chapters or updating more oftten with short chapters ?