Revelation

Cinderella Life

   This chapter will probably be terrible to some of you, but this is the end I had thought of since the beginning, so yeah :b oh, and I'm really sorry for taking so long to post this chapter, but I had no internet at home for this past month :(    

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   I woke up on the next morning, but Dae Hyun wasn't by my side anymore. I pouted and sighed, before deciding to get some breakfast. When I reached the kitchen, my eyes widened and my lips curled up in a smile. On the table there was bread, juice, waffles, fruits, the rest of yesterday's pie, and some more stuff. As I put a strawberry in my mouth, I noticed a little blue paper on the table.

   -Let me guess. Strawberries first? ㅋㅋ Today is a good day, isn't it? I woke up just so overjoyed! We are probably filming our reality show by now, and I hope you remember that today is our show's first broadcast! Remember your hidden camera? Today is the day the whole world will get to know you, so make sure to watch! Seriously, don't you dare miss it, understand!? I'll see you tonight. Have a nice day, sweetie~

  I finished eating with a silly smile plastered on my face. I cleared the table and decided to tidy the house while I waited for the show to begin. A few hours later, I lied on the sofa and turned the TV on. The show portrayed that dorkiness of them I was used to, aside from that damn hidden camera, which I don't want to remember, but when it looked like the episode was over, Dae Hyun showed up alone in his room.

   He looked around, hesitating a little. Then he looked at the camera and smiled, embarrassed. He took a deep breath and started speaking. "You know, your mom used to talk a lot to me." I unconsciously sat up, realizing he was talking about me. "Maybe because I was too young, she thought I didn't understand anything, so she vented her feelings comfortably. But there are some things that I never forgot. One of them I already told you, but there was one that really dug its place in my brain. She said 'Dae Hyun ah, I wonder what Rika will be like when she grows up. She might be just like me, and if it happens, she will always act tough, as if she doesn't care about anyone, as if she doesn't get hurt by anything, but she will be terribly suffering inside. On the other hand, she might also be just like her father. Cheerful, innocent, always trying to make people smile. But then she will get hurt really easily. She won't be able to understand why people around her do or say bad things. Either way, I would be really happy if you could stay by her side. Regardless of who she acts like, she will probably cry easily. I could rest in peace if I knew someone was there to wipe her tears and say that everything is okay.' And one week later... Well, yeah. I guess she knew what would happen to her and told me all those things in hopes I would become the person she wanted by your side. And I hope you feel the same. You won't have to act tough in front of me. You won't have to pretend you're happy if you're not. If you want to cry, I will be there to wipe your tears away. I will be there to say that everything is alright. I will be there to hug you until you feel safe enough to smile again. If you ever fall, I will hold your hand and put you back on your feet. If you can't stand up, then I'll lie next to you. We may be too young, but both of us know the hardships we've been through more than anyone else. I know everything you went through during these few years of life. What already happened can't be changed, but I will do my best to make you forget about this Cinderella life you've led so far. I am not a prince charming and I don't have a white horse, but I can make your fairytale dream come true. So, Princess," He raised that little box I had seen yesterday night and opened it. "will you take this mere commoner as your loyal knight?" 

   I stayed there frozen. I didn't know if I should cry or if I should smile. I didn't know if I was happy or if I was mad. Why did he talk about my mom in a broadcast? Did he say what really was in his heart or did he spent days and nights thinking about what would sound good? And I kept wondering that for the rest of the day.

   When he got home at night, I was lying on my bed, still immersed in my thoughts. "Did you watch the show?" He asked, not even bothering to say hi or ask if I was okay. I nodded and his faint smile disappeared after a sigh. "Before you accept marrying me, there's something you need to know." I stayed silent, waiting for him to continue. "If after I finish you don't want to marry me, I'll understand."

   "What are you talking about, oppa?" I laughed a little, sitting up, trying to break the seriousness of the situation.

   "It's about your parents." My smile immediately faded. "Do you want to listen to what I have to say?"

   I hesitated for a moment. "I-I'm not so sure."

   "I'm afraid I will have to tell you anyway. I just don't want you to regret marrying me later on." He sat next to me.

   "Go ahead. I'll listen." I bit my bottom lip, getting ready for whatever he was going to say.

   "You're my sister. My real one." Okay, I wasn't ready for that.

   "W-what do you mean?" My heart was suddenly pounding inside my chest.

   "My dad. He is actually your real dad."

   "Stop joking, Dae Hyun." I lightly slapped his arm and started laughing, but seeing his serious face, I realized that was not a joke. "I-i-it doesn't make any sense." I shook my head, frowning and he placed his hands on my cheeks gently, holding me still.

   "Do you want me to stop? You can say no to my proposal, I won't be mad."

   "My answer doesn't matter right now. Just...finish what you started." I averted my gaze and he slowly let go of my face.

   "Your dad couldn't have kids. Your parents tried for a really long time to have children. They tried every method available, but were unsuccessful. As your mom grew older, they decided they wanted a child and the means didn't matter." He stopped for a second and looked at me, but I was spiritless at the moment, so he just sighed. "Our dads were best friends since high school and your dad asked mine to... Well, you are fruit of artificial insemination. And you are my dad's daughter."

   Silent filled the room for a couple of minutes. My mind was blank. Though I had a lot to think of, I just couldn't force my mind to work. In fact, I guess I didn't want to think about anything. I didn't want to believe what I had just heard. Why didn't anyone tell me this before? What is so wrong about it? I would have understood it if I had known it before, but after all these years, to find out my dad is not my real dad and my soon-to-be dad-in-law is actually my real dad is just...too much to handle!

   "Awesome. We've just commited last night." I said, still staring at the ground.

   "Half ."

   "It's not funny, Dae Hyun!"

   "I never said it is, I'm just stating a truth, we are only half siblings."

   "Oh, gosh." I buried my face in my hands and did my best to hold my tears back. In just a few minutes my whole world had collapsed.

   "This is not the end yet. Unless you tell me you don't want to know the rest."

   "And what is left for me to know?" I mumbled, still not raising my head.

   "How your mom died." I slowly raised my head and he was looking at me with a hurtful look. As if it hurt him to say it as much as it hurt me to hear it. "This involves my mom as well."

   "Damn, our families are all tangled. What is wrong with us?"

   "I know, right?" He let out a single laugh, before he turned serious again.

   "Why didn't you tell me this before?" I lowered my face once again.

   "Because I knew you would end up like this. And it's not like I was eager to tell you this kind of thing."

   I nodded slowly. "Can we just..." I layed my head on his shoulder. "I don't think I'm ready to listen to the rest of the story yet."

   "Sure." He moved his body to a comfortable position and started caressing my hair. He started humming a random song and I didn't bother to try to figure out what song that was. My head was throbbing and I wanted to forget everything he told me. I closed my eyes and focused on his humming. Not on the song, but just on his voice. And I soon fell asleep.

 

   When I woke up on the next morning he was lying beside me, looking at my face. I washed my face, had breakfast, sat on the sofa and looked at him, everything without a word. He understood what I meant and sat next to me, resuming yesterday's talk. "Not long after you were born, they found a way of getting your mom pregnant of a baby with your dad's genes. And they did it. Your mom got pregnant and it was your dad's baby. They were absolutely delighted by the thought of having their real child."

   "So they only saw me as an illegitimate kid." I said almost in a whisper.

   "Sorry, my choice of words was bad. But you're wrong, they really did love you."

   "Sure... Go on."

   "My mom used to sell drugs. Not the addictive ones, but the medical ones, and she had a new drug that had just passed the first clinical trials and was supposed to benefit babies inside their mother's wombs. Your mom and mine were really close because of our dads, so your mom didn't hesitate when mine offered her the drug. The thing is, the effect was exactly the opposite. The baby died."

   I suddenly felt a sharp pain on my heart. I didn't even know about it until just now, but the thought of my little brother or sister dying hurt me. And for some reason a tear escaped my eye.

   "Hey, are you okay?" He placed his hand on my shoulder.

   "What do you think, Dae Hyun? Would you be okay if you were in my place!?" I lost control for a second and screamed at him. He lowered his head and I felt instantly guilty. It wasn't his fault after all. "Sorry."

   "No. I am sorry. Do you mind asking dad to tell you the rest? I just can't stand seeing you like this. And I myself don't like remembering the end of this story."

   I nodded silently and we both stayed there, staring at nowhere.

 

   At night, when dad was home in his office, I decided to ask him what Dae Hyun couldn't tell me.

   "When your mom lost the baby, she fell into deep depression. Then she started going to night clubs and getting drunk every time. One night, after a few months, while leaving a club, a stranger approached her and offered one more drink. In her altered state of mind, she accepted right away. In the end, she got and later found out she was pregnant once again. She was so disgusted by herself that she tried to forget everything by doing drugs. She tried every drug she could find and, one week later, she died of overdose. But the only one who knew about everything was my wife." I had no reaction, so he just continued speaking. "What nobody knew, was that my wife was also doing drugs ever since your little sibling died. When your mom passed away, my wife felt so guilty that she stopped eating, she stopped sleeping, she stopped living. All these added to the drugs were the cause of her death, right after your mother's."

   "I see." I nodded lifelessly and he sighed.

   "I'm sorry I had to tell you this, Rika."

   "That's fine. I would want to know it some day, anyway." I lowered my head, but raised it soon after. "But, dad-" He raised his brows, encouraging me to continue. "why did you want me to marry Dae Hyun so badly if we are siblings?"

   He smiled to himself. "Because you were the only one with who Dae Hyun could share his feelings and fears. Because you were the only one who offered him a shoulder to cry when he realized he actually missed his mother and I wasn't there. Because you were the only one who could really understand the pain in his heart for growing up alone. And because I saw in you everything that was missing in him." He looked at me warmly. "I've always been the romantic type, Rika. I've always believed that love could overcome anything. I never thought that being half siblings would be a problem to you." I nodded to myself and was about to leave the room, but he continued speaking. "And my son is just like me." I tilted my head. "When I realized he was falling for you, I told him you were his half sister. But he told me it didn't matter. You have always been more rational than us, so I guessed you would feel a little hesitant about this whole situation, but I decided to let you sort it out by yourselves. Whatever your decision is, I just want you to remember that no other guy will love you as much as Dae Hyun does. But each person has its own priorities, so it's up to you."

   I stayed still for a moment. Then I just nodded slowly and left in silence. Can I be more confused than before? Because I'm pretty sure I am.

 

   I spent four days locked in my room, thinking about my life. I knew why Dae Hyun had told me about regretting marrying him. We used to talk about having kids quite often, and siblings would most likely have unhealthy children. But is it really a reason for giving up on him? I just couldn't reach a conclusion.

   "Oppa, are you busy?"

   "I'm in the middle of practice, what's wrong?"

   "Can you come over later?"

   "What happened?"

   "I need to talk to someone."

   "Okay. But practice only ends at 11p.m."

   "That's fine. I'll wait."

   I lied on my bed and let my thoughts fill my mind once again. It was definitely driving me crazy. I was almost convincing myself that kids were not the problem. We could adopt some. But what if I regret it in the future? That's my only fear.

   "Oppa, you don't have to come here, you can rest after practice, but just answer me one thing."

   "Okay, what is it?"

   "If you wanted something really badly, and you suddenly found out you can't have that if you keep living your life as you always did. But, to get this thing you want, you would have to give up on something that is even more important. What would you do?"

   "You just said that something is more important than something else, so isn't it obvious?" I stayed in silence, thinking about it for a few seconds. "Rika?"

   "Yeah.. I guess so. Thanks, oppa. You can go back to practice."

   "Everything is possible nowadays, sis. Science is really advanced."

   "What?"

   "I met hyung at the hair salon yesterday."

   "So?"

   "I know he is the one who can call you little sis, not me."

   "Ah."

   "I knew about your mom's death, but I knew nothing that happened before that. It took me quite a long time to understand what he was telling me, so I can imagine how hard it is for you. But you both have been through so much already, isn't it a waste to throw everything away because of one single thing?"

   "We are siblings, oppa. It's not like a fight or cheating, we share the same blood! How can I marry my own brother?"

   "You share half of your blood. You still have different mothers."

   "Why do both of you focus only on the 'half'!? It doesn't matter if it's half or a quarter, we still share part of our blood!"

   "Rika, you-" I heard someone calling him back to practice. "Give me five minutes, hyung!" He kind of screamed back. "You are the one who told me that he is more important than having children. Isn't it what you meant?"

   "Yeah, but...it's just so wrong! It goes against all my principles. What will people think about us?"

   "It's all about you, sis. If you feel like marrying him, just do it! After all, we are the only ones who know it for now."

   "For now. But what about tomorrow? What about next year? People will find out sooner or later."

   "Then screw them. You know, maybe you haven't been through it yet, but ever since I debuted, I got a lot of fans, but I also got tons of haters. You will learn to live with those people as well one day."

   "I have been through that. I had your mom."

   He laughed a little. "Then you are more than ready. I don't think you will ever find someone worse than my mom."

   "Yeah... But it still seems so wrong!"

   "It is quite wrong indeed, but I would advise you not to think too much about what is right or wrong, you might regret it. It will sound really cliche, but just follow your heart." I didn't say anything. "Well, I have to go back to practice now. Just call me again if you need anything."

   "Hm." I hung up and fell back on my bed. Damn, I really don't know what to do.

 

   I thought a lot about what I wanted for my life. Dae Hyun with no kids? Kids with no Dae Hyun? Dae Hyun? Kids? Dae Hyun. Even if I had kids of my own, how would I be happy if I didn't love their father? If it is with Dae Hyun, I believe I can be happy even with fish as our children.

   I tried calling him twice, but he didn't pick up, so I guessed he would be busy. Not long after that, my phone rang.

   "Hello?"

   "Hi... Erm, did you call me?"

   "Yeah... Are you busy right now?"

   "The CEO would take us out for dinner to celebrate the successful wrap of our reality show. But I can miss it if you want."

   "No, you can go. But could you come over after that? Would the CEO be mad if you didn't return to the dorm right away?"

   "I don't know... I'll see what I can do."

   "All right."

   I walked around the house for almost an hour, pondering if it was actually the right decision to make. I tried to come up with every kind of problems and disappointments I could face in the future, but, at least in my mind, I would be able to overcome all of them if I had that guy next to me. I hope it means I won't regret it later on and I hope it's not just my mind being biased and ignoring all the odds. Please let me be right this one time.

   At around 8 p.m., Dae Hyun arrived. "Rika?" He called me from the front door and I went downstairs. "Hi." He didn't move.

   "Hey." I smiled a little and turned my face away. Our greetings had never been this awkward.

   "So..." He scratched the back of his head.

   "Is the dinner already over?" I tried to avoid getting to the point, as I didn't know how to start.

   "No. I left first."

   "Ah..." I started playing with my fingers and we were in silence for about a minute.

   "Can we..." He motioned to the sofa. "sit down?" I nodded and we sat on different couches, facing each other.

   "Why did you say those things publicly before telling me all of this?" I started speaking in a low tone, not looking at him. "Did you think your proposal would make me ignore the fact that you are my brother and just pretend things are like they were before?" 

   "No. And that's why I'm telling you that you don't have to marry me. I only said all that because I want people to know that I love you and you only. If it's for you, I'm willing to give up on everything, but if you reject me, then I'll just accept the fact and focus on my carreer." 

   "It's not like I want you to quit being a singer." 

   "I meant that I won't go after marriage if it's not with you."

   There was silence again. I pursed my lips and took a deep breath. "Despite how wrong it may seem and how irrationally I may be saying it right now, I don't care about anything. I still love you and I still want you in my life."

   "Won't you regret it?" He frowned sadly.

   "I've thought a lot about it already. And I'd rather have you than have kids. We can get dogs or bunni-" He walked to me and silenced me with a kiss.

   "I dreamed about this moment every night since that day. But it was more like nightmares, because you would dump me everytime." He kissed me again.

   "But I still feel this is somewhat wrong." I frowned a little and he pressed the point between my brows.

   "Don't frown like that, you'll get wrinkles." I laughed slightly. "If you don't want to marry me, I'm fine with it. I'm already happy to know that you would choose me."

   "Stop trying to get rid of me, Jung Dae Hyun." I pushed his forehead back and he chuckled.

   "I will cling to you until the end of times, sweetie." He pulled me up and gave me a hug.

   "And now I can love you twice as much." I looked up at him.

   He looked at me, confused. "What do you mean?"

   "I will love you as a brother and as a boyfriend at the same time." I smiled cutely.

   "Fiancé." He kissed my forehead.

   "I didn't say yes yet." I stuck my tongue out at him and he rolled his eyes.

   He stepped away and walked to his coat on the sofa. He took that familiar little box from one of the pockets and kneeled down in front of me. "This time with no second intentions and with no more secrets, I'm promising you to always love and protect you, and to always be caring and faithful to you." He paused and cleared his throat. "Kim Rika, will you marry me?" He opened the little box and I scrutinized the ring.

   "Hmm, it depends. I wonder how much this wedding ring costs." I squinted my eyes, getting even closer to the ring. Dae Hyun kept staring at me, perplexed. "Do you really think I care about it?" I raised my head and looked at him, laughing. "Of course my answer is yes, oppa!" I jumped on him and we both fell on the floor.

   "Hey, hang on. Let me put the ring on you." Dae Hyun grabbed my hand, laughing. He put the ring on my finger and I smiled, looking at it.

   "Wait a second!" I sat up. "I used to ask myself if I should enter the church with Il Hoon oppa, as I didn't have a dad anymore, but I still have a dad, after all."

   He sat next to me. "But I don't have a mom, what should I do?"

   "Nothing. The groom can walk in by himself. I mean, you can go with Il Hoon oppa and Zelo. Hye Ji can enter before me and no more girls are allowed. Period."

   "Then it's going to be only us, because I don't want you surrounded by a bunch of guys." He crossed his arms cutely and I giggled.

   "That's what I wanted to hear." I hugged his arm and layed my head on his shoulder.

   "I can't believe you." He shook his head, laughing. "Yes, I can also be possessive over you, my girl." He pinched my cheek and I pouted, letting go of him.

   "It hurts, Dae Hyun!" I hit his arm, rubbing my sore cheek and he just laughed. "But seriously now, I want at least 300 people in our wedding party."

   "Dad will probably want to invite over 1000 people." Dae Hyun chuckled.

   "But that would cost a fortune!"

   "I believe he would gladly pay for it in this case."

   "But it's our wedding. We should pay for it." I reasoned.

   "My money is dad's anyway." He shrugged.

   "My money is mine. I'll pay for it then." I nodded to myself.

   "What did I say about not letting you spend a penny? I also want as many people as possible to witness the day you become officially mine." He put his arm around my shoulders and I rolled my eyes.

   "Fine then. I'll let you and your dad go bankrupt before touching my money." I smirked at him.

   "Don't go overboard. Only until you get a job."

   I shook my head. "Nah, I won't spend a penny."

   "Tch. I take my words back."

   "Too late, honey." I stuck my tongue out and he chuckled. "I'll only do grocery shopping. And get clothes for our pets. You take care of the rest."

   "Instead of buying clothes for pets, why don't you spend your money with something more useful?"

   "Because I'm superficial. Why do you think I chose you? Because of the money, obviously."

   "What a coincidence! Because I chose you for the exact same reason. And when you become 40, I'll trade you for two 20 y.o girls." I glared at him.

   "And I will trade you for two 100 pounds guys."

   "I don't gain weight easily." He smirked at me.

   "I hate you." I crossed my arms and he laughed.

   "I love you too." He kissed my cheek and I turned my face to kiss his lips. "By the way, this ring wasn't that expensive." He looked at my hand and I used it to raise his head.

   "Whatever." I kissed him for the last time before we went upstairs to arrange things for our wedding.

Maybe it was not like a fairytale. Maybe it was really far from one. Maybe what we are doing is wrong. Maybe we'll be punished in the end for being sinners. Maybe people will look weirdly at us. Maybe our adopted kids will be made fun of in school. But for now, I guess I can live happily ever after. At least right now, I can assert that I have never been this happy in my whole life.

   What will happen after our wedding? I have no idea. And I don't really care anyway. There is a possibility things go wrong and we end up divorced, but I don't think I will ever regret this choice I have just made.

   Over and out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   The end!

   Okay, I guess some people are looking at the screen with a disgusted face right now and I apologize for that, but that's how my mind was working when I first thought about this story. Also, I'm sorry for the time I took to post some of the chapters, but my schedule is a mess these days. 

   I don't know if you are interested, but I'm already writing a new fanfic. Though this time I will finish writing the whole story before posting, so that I avoid delays. I hope you support me when I come back :3

   And last, but not least, thank you guys for bearing with me through these 50 chapters. Thanks for the subscriptions, the upvotes, even though the story might have not met your expectations and thanks for the comments, even for chapters that didn't have anything interesting to be commented. I hope I didn't disappoint you too much and that's it, see you guys next time!