Chapter 6

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

At the apartment, I heard a ruckus. I opened the bedroom door and found Yuri on the floor looking at pictures of Nickhun and herself. She wasn’t crying, just staring.

 

I had no idea she had kept those pictures. After his funeral I remembered that she went through all her belongings that reminded her of Nickhun and she burned them all. Saying it was the only way she could move on.

 

“This was the day he told me he loved me,” she said.

 

“Yul, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to interrupt. I’ll go,” I said leaving.

 

“No, it’s okay. I need to ask you something,” she said.

 

“Okay,” I said stopping and sitting across from her.

 

“Did Nickhun ever tell you about me?”

 

“Of course, you were all he ever talked about,” I said smiling.

 

“Really? What did he tell you?”

 

“Well… he said that he was one of the luckiest guy in the world to have you and that you deserved so much more than what he could give you.” Yuri just looked at me and smiled and I continued, “He loved you Yuri, don’t ever doubt that.”

 

“I don’t,” she said and picked up another picture.

 

I recognized this one, a picture Nick kept by his bedside. It was of him and Yuri in their bathing suits, smiling and so in love. It was a perfect display of how their beach trip with some friends went.

 

“We look so happy,” Yuri continued. “This was the night… the night I lost my ity.”

 

I couldn’t help but make my jaw drop when she said that. I was really surprised. However, I do remember seeing a change in her when she back from that trip.

 

“Yul, why are you going through all your things?” I asked her trying to change the subject.

 

“I think I’m falling for Yoona,” she said.

 

I looked at her confused and she continued.

 

“And I feel guilty. I made a promise to your brother that I would love him and love no one else, and I don’t want to break that promise. Even if it means being alone forever,” she said tears beginning to roll down her face.

 

“Yul, it’s okay that you feel this way. It’s okay to move on. I know he would want you to be happy. I know he wouldn’t want you to be alone forever. If Yoona makes you happy then be happy with him,” I said trying to persuade her that she shouldn’t be alone forever.

 

“I’m afraid I blew it. I broke things off with him today.”

 

“What? I’m sorry.”

 

“It’s okay. I’m okay. At least you and Jessica seem to be in the right direction.”

 

“Actually I broke things off as well,” I said.

 

What? But I saw you…” she stopped and decided not to ask what happened and continued with, “Only a week in Wilmington and we’re already a mess. Where did we go wrong?”

 

-----------------------------------------------------------

 

It was dark and cloudy. Rain was expected. I didn’t care. I needed information on my brother and was willing to risk anything for it. I walked onto the grass and could already see the court with the lights shining on it. I stepped into the light and heard someone come up from behind me.

 

I turned around to find Taeyeon.

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked confused.

 

“The better question is what you are doing here?” she replied.

 

“I’m not in no mood for games Taeyeon,” I replied as we just stared at each other. I continue with, “I’m assuming you were the one who put the note in my locker?”

 

“Yeah, it was me, but before I get into that I just want to make it clear that you need to stay away from Jessica.”

 

“I can care less about Jessica right now. Just tell me what you know,” I said.

 

“Okay. You really want to know? The truth is worse than any lie.”

 

“Just tell me what you say you know,” I said impatient.

 

“Your brother, is Nickhun right? Star-athlete, really smart, AP and honour classes straight through high school and not to mention boyfriend of Yuri Kwon, your best friend and then tragedy struck. He took his own life, but you think otherwise. I mean, why would your brother take his own life?”

 

I just looked at her amazed at how she knew so much about him and worded out by how much she knew as well.

 

“Is this all you needed to tell me? Things I already knew?” I said.

 

“No, I know more,” she said.

 

“Then instead of being playing narrator just tell me what I don’t know,” I said.

 

  “On second thought, why should I? I don’t like you anyway,” she said.

 

“Taeyeon! I broke things off with Jessica, what else do you want?” I shouted.

 

“You want to know what I want. Really do you? I want the life I had before Jessica…” she stopped and chose to stay calm and quiet. She began again, “All I know is that your brother had one very close lover with an upset boyfriend.”

 

“What? Who told you this?” I demanded not believing this.

 

“Someone”

 

“I don’t believe you. You know nothing about who my brother was, nor what he would do, especially to Yuri.”

 

“I don’t but my resource tells me it’s the truth.”

 

“Well tell your resource to go to hell and so should you for telling these lies. Don’t you have a heart? I’m gone,” I said walking angrily away. The rain began to pour.

 

“I did until the truth tore it apart,” she yelled back. “But I am sorry about you loss.”

 

As I walked passed Genie’s Café I could see Jessica sitting alone. I debated on whether to go inside, but decided not to. I wasn’t in the mood for another argument.