Chapter 15

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

The night of Homecoming had arrived. I was curling my hair and almost burned myself when I heard Yuri storm into the apartment.

 

“Yul, what’s wrong?” I asked.

 

“Nothing, when I went to go pick up my dress they asked me ‘what dress?’ apparently there are no more left even though I had told them to hold it for me. Can you believe that?” she explained.

 

“Yul why didn’t you tell me you were going to pick up your dress? I already picked it up.” I said going over to the bedroom closet to show her.

 

“Oh my gosh, Fany! That’s the dress I showed you I wanted, but I couldn’t afford. When and with what did you buy it?” she asked looking it over.

 

“I bought it this morning. Jessie helped pay for it. I told him the whole situation about how you wanted to make your own dress but when you saw this one you couldn’t resist but then when you saw the price and knew you couldn’t afford it but it was already too late to make one. He was happy to pay for it,” I explained.

 

“Thank you, Fany.”

 

“It was nothing. Besides I know these last couple of days has been real hard on you. Have you decided when you’re gonna tell Yoona?” I asked.

 

“No. I just don’t know what to say. I don’t know how he’ll react. I mean, how do, I tell a guy that his life is over. That his dreams of playing pro basketball are over? I mean, that’s basically what I’ll be telling him when I tell him about my pregnancy.”

 

“I know it’s going to be hard, but waiting too long will just make everything worse.”

 

“I know that’s why I’m going to tell him tomorrow. First thing, I just don’t want to ruin tonight. So promise me you won’t say a word.”

 

“Of course I won’t. I promise,” I swore.

 

“Ok. Well I should get ready, they’ll be here soon,” she said as I went back into the bathroom and finished curling my hair.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“They never disappoint do they?” said Jessica to Yoona as all four of us entered the gym.

 

“Nope,” replied Yoona.

 

“Fany, can I talk to you?” asked Yuri.

 

“Ok,” I said confused.

 

“Will you excuse us?” Yuri asked as she grabbed my hand.

 

“Just don’t be long,” Yoona said as he and Jessica started talking.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Yul what’s wrong?” I asked, once we were in the restroom.

 

“I have to tell him,” she said, pacing.

 

“What?”

 

“I have to tell Yoona. I just can’t carry this with me. I can’t pretend like I don’t know,” she said.

 

“What changed your mind?”

 

“Nick.”

 

“Nick?”

 

“I never told you this but after Nick and I, you know?”

 

“Yeah”

 

“I thought that I was pregnant.”

 

“What?”

 

“Yeah, so this isn’t the first time, but he found out. He saw the pregnancy test and asked me straightforward ‘are you pregnant?’ And I told him no. so we talked about what would happen if I was. He told me that he would be there for me through it all and he made me feel safe. I knew that I would be ok. So, on the way over here as I was looking at Yoona I felt as if Nick was there with me and was telling me that Yoona would be there for me too. He may be just scared as I am but in the end he would be there for me and this child that I’m carrying.”

 

“Why didn’t you ever tell me any of this?” I asked surprised.

 

“I was just too scared at the time. I still am,” she said.

 

“Well, I think what you’re feeling is right and whatever happens I will be there for you.”

 

“I know, thank you.”

 

“Let’s go before they think we ditched them,” I said making her smile.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“There you girls are what took you so long?” asked Yoona when he saw us.

 

“Nothing just had to use the ladies room,” Yuri said.

 

I sat next to Jessie as he kissed me on the forehead and I smiled t him. Then I looked around and saw someone staring towards me but I couldn’t make out the face because it was too dark where they were standing.

 

After a few hours we decided to leave and have some fun over at the beach where most people were going.

 

“Yuri wanna go in the water?!” yelled Siwon, who Yuri claims has the biggest crush on her.

 

“She’ll go in but not with you!” yelled Yoona laughing, “Let’s go in together and make the guy jealous yeah?”

 

“Nah, he’s already jealous with me just being with you,” she said.

 

“Ok, well we can just go in to have fun,” said Yoona picking her up.

 

“Stop, Yoong. Please don’t,” Yuri said.

 

“Ok, ok,” Yoona said confused as he put her down, “Is something wrong?”

 

“No, I’m sorry I just don’t feel too good,” she said.

 

“Yeah, it was probably that chicken you ate this morning,” I said.

 

“Yeah, it must have been that,” said Yuri winking at me.

 

“Baby, can I speak to you for a minute,” said Jessica.

 

“Sure,” I said as we stopped walking.

 

“Umm… I’ve been getting the feeling that,” he began as I looked at him, “you’re out of it.”

 

“What do you mean?” I asked.

 

“Something’s bothering you. I know it,” he said.

 

“I don’t know what you can be talking about because I feel great. I’m happy,” I said putting my hand on his face and lifted my feet to kiss him.

 

“Ok, well I don’t know. You and Yuri look like you’re hiding something, ever since that masquerade party.”

 

“What makes you question that?”

 

“I can tell because of that look you get?”

 

“What look?”

 

“I don’t even think you know what look I’m talking about but I do see it,” he said.

 

I looked at him and then I glanced over to the parking lot and saw someone watching me. I glanced over there again and that person was gone. I kept thinking that must be the person who kissed me.

 

“See that look, you just had it,” I heard Jessica say as I looked at him again.

 

“No, I didn’t” I said.

 

“You did, but I’m sure you’ll tell me, sooner or later, right?”

 

“Of course I will,” I said.

 

“Jessie! Fany! Come on, check this out!” called out Yoona.

 

“Let’s go,” said Jessica.

 

“Ok, but first I’m gonna get my camera from the car,” I said.

 

“Don’t take long,” he said handing me the keys.

 

“I won’t,” I said as I began heading towards the parking lot.

 

It was dark and I was barely able to find the car and so as I got my camera out from the backseat I heard someone’s footsteps. I quickly looked out and saw someone standing right in front me with a mask on.

 

“Tiffany,” I heard him say.

 

“Who are you and why do you keep following me?” I asked, afraid.

 

He pulled me out of the car and handed me a cup filled with water. Before I could scream for help he shoved it down my throat and I began to feel dizzy.

 

“Help me,” I was barely able to whisper.

 

My head began to whirl and I must have been passed out for minutes or possibly hours because when I woke up I was on the couch in my apartment with Jessica holding onto my hands and Yuri with Yoona sitting on the couch watching me.

 

“What happened?” I asked