Chapter 48

The Truth Behind The Lies

The black robed man was standing over me. I could hear his heavy breathing just below me as he towered over me. Then he spoke,

 

“Run!” and then he was gone.

 

I began to run. I was running through the trees in a dark forest, scared and alone. I jumped when I heard him yelling and calling my name, following me. I began to run faster. My heart racing, my lungs pumping, then I saw them, my two men. The men I loved and would love for the rest of time.

 

“Nickhun! Jessica!” I called as I ran to them.

 

My fear was now washing away

 

“Don’t be scared, Tiffany. We’re here,” Jessica said.

 

“I’m not scared anymore, Jessie. I know I’m safe,” I said, hugging him.

 

“She’s mine!” yelled the voice that I knew sounded familiar.

 

“She’s no one’s property!” yelled Nickhun.

 

My face lit up as I realized he was here. Standing right in front of me. Then out of nowhere there was a gunshot. I turned around to see who it was and I heard him somewhere behind the trees.

 

“Tiffany,” I heard my brother say.

 

I turned around to face him, realizing he had been the one shot.

 

“Nick,” I said, “Nick, you’ll be ok.”

 

“Find out who did this to me and remember that I love you, Fany,” he said then his eyes closed shut.

 

“NO! Nick!” I cried, “Wake up! Wake up!”

 

“Tiffany! Fany-ah! It’s ok,” said Jessica. I turned to look up at him as he continued to tell me it would be ok. Then his voice changed to Yuri’s.

 

“Fany, it’s only a dream.”

 

I awoke to Yuri’s concerned face. Yoona was beside her with Angel. My heart was still racing as I tried to recover from the nightmare.

 

“Another Nickhun nightmare?” she guessed. Already knowing.

 

I only nodded. Then snapped back into reality, remembering about my trip with Anna.

 

“Yul, do you mind stepping outside with me for a minute?” I asked.

 

She looked at me surprised but nodded.

 

Once we were bother outside and the door was closed I asked Yuri.

 

“Who’s Choi Minho?”

 

Her eyes widened, “Who?”

 

“Choi Minho,” I repeated, trying to read her reaction.

 

She looked down at the floor.

 

“I don’t know,” she said, not fooling me.

 

“Yul, I know you know. Just tell me, please,” I begged.

 

She sighed then looked back up at me.

 

“He was just this guy or boy I hooked up with during summer camp. The summer Nick and I were not together, do you remember?”

 

I nodded, remembering as she continued,

 

“Yeah, well. It was one night that led to the rest of the camp nights. I was lonely and vulnerable without Nick. I mean, I never slept with Minho. It was just make-out sessions, nothing serious. Although, he wanted it to be, but I couldn’t let that happen. Not with the hope that Nick and I would be together again. So the last night before were to leave the camp I ended it with him. I told him that I had someone already waiting for me back home. I told him that I couldn’t leave him my address or my number. No contact information. It was hard for him…. He loved me… but I didn’t love him.”

 

“So what happened to him?”

 

“I don’t know. That was the last time I saw him,” she said.

 

I nodded considering this new piece of information. Yuri asked me if that was all I needed to know and I nodded. Although I still felt she was hiding something from me.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

It was the day before the trial with Mr. Jung and Yuri was getting nervous.

 

“Fany, please tell me everything is going to be ok and that Mr. Jung is going to jail for the rest of his life,” she said.

 

“Everything’s going to be ok and I can’t promise for the rest of his life, even though that id what he deserves,” I tried to sound comforting.

 

“Hey, Yuri. How are you feeling?” asked Jessie, who had just walked in with Yoona.

 

“Better, but still nervous, but I need to do this.”

 

“Yes you do, and you can,” said Yoona, leaning into her, then putting his hands on her waist and resting his cheek on her head.

 

Yuri took a deep breath and smiled.

 

“I can, can’t I?” she said.

 

“Of course. My girl can do anything,” Yoon said and he was about to kiss her, but stopped when I spoke.

 

“I think I should go,” I said, getting my bag, which now carried pepper spray.

 

Jessica quickly spoke up before I could leave, which I was glad he did.

 

“Um… Tiffany. Where do you think you’re going?” he asked concerned.

 

“I need to go talk to the caterers about the food and then I need to go down to Sushi club,” I said, innocently.

 

“It’s getting dark and you’re going alone?” he said, his eyebrows raised.

 

Then I remembered our promise.

 

“I guess not alone, anymore,” I said then laughed as he giggled.

 

Once I finished everything needed to be done Jessica and I headed back.

 

“Tiffany, listen. I know you probably don’t like me hanging around you. I know it’s awkward but…”

 

“No, Jessie. I understand. And I love that you’re hanging around with me. Thank you. And it’s not awkward in the least big,” I said.

 

When we stopped in the driveway, Jessie turned off the car and looked at me.

 

“Did you find out anything new on this Minho guy?” he asked.

 

“Not much. But new him. She had a fling with him during a summer camp.”

 

“Oh really? Well, that does kind of give you some stuff to consider.”

 

“Yeah it does. I just need to find Minho so I can question him.”

 

“Well, hey, I know someone who can probably help. My uncle knows a private investigator. I can ask him.”

 

“Oh, Jessie. That would be so helpful,” I said, now with much more hope that I may have exaggerated because I kissed him.

 

I pulled back quickly and apologized.

 

“I’m sorry. Too soon, right?”

 

He nodded.

 

“Well, are you going to come back inside?” I asked.

 

“I’m still debating on that.”

 

“Why?”

 

“Tomorrow’s the day.”

 

“Right. How are you feeling about that?”

 

“I don’t know. I look back at all the memories I have of him and well, I realized that I was hardly ever happy with him. You know? I just, I guess I don’t care about what happens tomorrow. He’s never made an impact on my life. I guess I can only thank him for bringing basketball into my life. Other than that I don’t care for him.”

 

I just looked at him as he said this. Wishing I could help him but knew I couldn’t do anything for him.