Chapter 2

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

“So, how was your first day?” Yuri asked me as we walked into our apartment.

 

“Okay, I guess,” I replied.

 

“Okay? So it wasn’t as bad as you thought it would be?”

 

“No, it was better than I thought,” I said, with a smile forming across my face as I thought of Jessica.

 

“Tiffany, don’t make me smack you.”

 

“And why would you?”

 

“Don’t act like I didn’t notice that smile on your face. Did you meet someone? A new guy perhaps?”

 

“Maybe”

 

“Tiffany, come on.”

 

“We just talked for like two minutes. It was nothing.”

 

“Yeah, right. Well if you’re not willing to share then I will. I met someone,” Yuri said as she grabbed my hands and pulled me onto the couch with her.

 

“He’s really sweet,” she continued, “he’s cute and he gave me his number. Did I mention he’s on the basketball team?”

 

“No, you didn’t. You also didn’t mention his name.”

 

“Oh, right. Umm…it’s something Jung.”

 

“Jessica Jung?” I asked hoping it wasn’t.

 

“No, it was…Yoona. Yoona Jung.”

 

And I let out a breath.

 

“But who is Jessica?” she asked.

 

“Oh, no one. Just some guy that I got a detention with,” I said, praying that she didn’t hear the last part.

 

“Tiffany Hwang. Detention? And on your first day?”

 

“It’s tomorrow by the way, so don’t wait up.”

 

“Trust me I won’t. I’ll be too busy with Yoona,” Yuri said with a smile.

 

“So I guess you’ve found you’re right guy then?” I asked seriously.

 

“I think I did. I know it’s soon, but I can just tell and if I end up wrong about him then there’s nothing I can do about it. But why not take that risk,” Yuri said.

 

“You’ve thought a lot about this haven’t you?”

 

“Yeah, I have and so should you.”

 

I just looked at her and didn’t know what to say other than I’m taking a nap.

 

The next morning I woke up and washed my face. Looking forward to fourth period and detention and also hoping that Jessica would never find out of my reputation. Knowing that there was always a chance that someone could find me and tell him everything, not only tell him but everyone here in Wilmington. Then I’d have to pack up and move again, maybe this time across the country. I was hoping I wouldn’t have to senior year. College of course, but for senior year I wanted to just stay in one school and I was willing to do it at GG High School.


“So ready for detention today?” asked Jessica as he sat down at his desk.

 

“You can bet on it,” I said and he smiled at me as I returned the smile. I looked down at my binder that had pictures of Yuri and me along with some of my old friends. He looked down at it and asked.

 

“Mind if I take a look?”

 

“Go ahead,” I said handing the binder to him.

 

“Who is this?” he asked and pointed to a picture of Yuri.

 

“Oh, that’s Yuri. She comes here now too. Haven’t you seen her around?”

 

“Yeah, I had no idea you two knew each other. Her last name is Kwon right?

 

“How did you know?”

 

“My brother”


“Yoona right?”

 

He nodded, “Yeah, he’s crazy in love with her already.”

 

“Well, just tell him to be gentle with her. We are both very fragile.”

 

“Is that so?”

 

“Jessica Jung would you like to double your stay here after school with me?” interrupted Mrs Mendoza.

 

“I know I’m your favourite student, but that isn’t necessary,” said Jessica.

 

“Then pay attention. You too, Miss Hwang.”

 

She turned back around and walked to her desk as Jessica and I giggled.

 

The last bell rang ending the school day and bringing me to detention.

 

“Hello, Tiffany. Have a seat in the back. Maybe this will teach you and Mr Jung to not walk into my classroom late,” said Mrs Mendoza.

 

“Okay,” I said sitting and opening up my copy of Someone Like You, one of my favourite books, second to the Outsiders, but when I did a letter fell out, a letter written to me after that night.

 

“Already passing love notes with someone else and I thought we had a good thing going,” interrupted Jessica as he sat down next to me. I hadn’t even noticed him walk in.

 

“Oh, no, just an old letter that I should’ve thrown away,” I said.

 

“Here, hand it to me,” Jessica said laying out his hand.

 

“Why?”

 

“I won’t read it. Come on, just trust me,” he said smiling.

 

It was weird because I felt like I could. I handed him the letter. He crumbled it into a ball and shot it like a basketball into the trash can.

 

“Impressive,” I said.

 

“Not as impressive as it’ll be at tomorrow’s game. Promise you’ll be there?”

 

“Maybe,” I replied smiling.