Chapter 19

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

“Baby, are you ok?” Jessica asked as we were sitting in class.

 

“Yeah, why are you asking?” I asked

 

“You just seem out of it,” he said concerned.

 

“I’m fine, it’s just...” I hesitated as I came up with another lie, “Yuri hasn’t been feeling well and so I haven’t been able to get much sleep.”

 

“Well, come by my house later and I’ll help you get some rest, remember, you owe me,” he said smiling.

 

“Nice job, Miss Hwang,” interrupted Mrs Mendoza as she handed me back our last test. “Mr Jung if I were you I wouldn’t make any plans after school unless they consist of you learning how to figure out these problems.”

 

“What’d you get?” I asked after she walked past us.

 

“An F. Coach Yunho is gonna kill me if I don’t pick up this grade by the end of the quarter,” he said worriedly.

 

“Ok, how about this. I’ll go over to your house and we’ll go over these problems together?” I asked as he smiled back at me.

 

“That sounds perfect,” he said.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Fany?” called out Yuri in the hall after school.

 

“Yeah?” I asked then saw the look on her face as if she had seen a ghost.

 

“Come here,” she said as she grabbed my hand and led me to the restroom.

 

“Yul, what’s wrong?” I asked.

 

“Fany, I saw him,” she said.

 

“Saw who?”

 

“...Wooyoung.”

 

“What? Where?” I asked my mind spinning as I remembered when I saw him.

 

“Here at school. He’s in my fifth period but the counsellor called him in and I think he’s changing classes. I think he knows you’re here,” she said worried.

 

“Are you sure it was him?”

 

“Positive, now look I don’t know how the hell he knows you go here but Fany I think he came here for you. I just need you to promise me that you will NEVER talk to him ever again,” she said sternly.

 

I looked away from her and felt this pain in my stomach.

 

“Yul, I made a huge mistake,” I said.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

I took a deep breath and looked at her straight in the eye.

 

“I knew he was back. He was the one who was stalking me. I have no idea if he was the one who drugged me but when we went to watch that movie, that “bathroom break” I had wasn’t really a bathroom break. I had no idea it was him but then I saw his face and I gave in,” I said tears began to roll down my face.

 

“What do you mean you gave in?”

 

“I... I kissed him,” I said as her face fell.

 

“Tiffany! How could you do this? I mean, after everything he did to you and you just give in like that? Why didn’t you tell anyone? You could have gotten yourself killed. What about Jessie? How is he gonna feel when he finds out?”

 

“Yul, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for it. I just had to find out and the kiss it was stupid I know that,” I tried to explain.

 

“You know what Fany. I can’t even begin to tell you how disappointed I am in you. I thought you were better that this,” she said looking at me in disbelief. Then she walked past me toward the door.

 

I just stared at myself in the mirror and began to cry.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I sat there for about twenty-minutes when I decided to take a walk knowing that I needed to clear my head and give Yuri some space. After I had passed the apartments I saw Yuri’s car parked there and just continued to walk past it. As I continued to walk through the block I heard someone call out my name.

 

“Tiffany!”

 

I looked across the street and saw Yoona running over to where I was.

 

“Hey, Yoong,” I said.

 

“Hey, what are you doing walking here by yourself? I thought you were supposed to meet Jessie to help tutor him?”

 

“Oh, right,” I said realizing I had forgotten but then knew I wouldn’t be able to look at him again knowing what I had done to him.

 

“He’s really struggling. Coach Yunho told him he can’t practice unless he gets at least a B on the next test. He even told me to help tutor him that’s why I’m here,” he said.

 

“I’m sorry. I know he’s really struggling right now and I haven’t been the greatest girlfriend or best friend,” I said.

 

“Of course you have, Fany. Jessie is different when he’s around you. I’ve seen the change, I mean, he’s always been a great boyfriend but when he’s with you I can tell he’s really fighting for your relationship to work. Believe me after the whole incident with Taeyeon, I thought he would never recover but he has. He’s much happier and what happened? What do you mean not the greatest best friend?”

 

 I was touched by what he had just told me but I realized that, that kiss really screwed me over because not only have I lost my best friend but I would also lose the bond that Yoona and I have and also Jessica, two mean who I have betrayed.

 

“Have you ever made a mistake that you wish you could take back? Because once that person who believes in you finds out that you have disappointed them they feel as if they didn’t know you at all and thought you were better that that?” I said slowly so I wouldn’t confuse him.

 

“I have,” he said.

 

“Well, that’s what is going on between Yuri and me. I did something that I wish I could take back and now I can’t.”

 

“Look, Fany. I know what it’s like to feel that way but whatever happened, happened. You can’t take it back, it’s in the past. What I would do is just admit to the mistake and just make no excuses for it. If she can’t look past that flaw then maybe she isn’t who you thought she was. But its Yuri, I know she has a great heart,” he said.

 

“You know what? You’re right,” I said.

 

“Glad that someone takes my advice,” he said laughing, “And I guess that means that I should call Yuri later tonight after you two solve whatever is you need to solve.”

 

“Yeah, thank you, Yoong it means a lot,” I said giving him a hug.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the door I took in a breath and slowly walked in. I didn’t see her at first but then I heard her yell.

 

“Don’t think you can waltz back into her life because it’s not going to happen! I won’t let it!” she yelled.

 

I began to walk faster toward the bedroom door and opened it to see Yuri and Wooyoung.