Chapter 28

The Truth Behind The Lies

“So listen, I wanted to plan a romantic dinner, but Coach Yunho had us double our practice and I didn’t have a chance to cook dinner,” said Jessica on the phone as I picked out what I was going to wear.

 

“Baby, that’s ok. The state championship means a lot to you, the team, and Coach Yunho. So it means a lot to me too. Besides, it’s just dinner. As long as I’m with you, I’m happy,” I explained.

 

“Well, since you put it that way. How about we just go to the Pizzeria?”

 

“That sounds perfect.”

 

“Great, I’ll pick you up in an hour.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

On our way there I noticed Jessica was thinking about something.

 

“What are you thinking about, Babe?” I asked concerned.

 

He looked at me and then back at the street.

 

“My parents were arguing before I left.”

 

“About Yoona and Yuri?”

 

“No, ummm... I think my dad has been cheating on my mom.”

 

I didn’t know what to say and Jessica knew.

 

“It’s ok. You don’t have to say anything.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When we entered the Pizzeria it wasn’t as crowded as I thought it would be and as it usually was. After a few minutes that we had been seated Taeyeon and Wooyoung walked in.

 

“Hey, isn’t that Wooyoung and Taeyeon?” asked Jessica.

 

“Yeah,” I said quietly.

 

“Hey, Wooyoung, over here,” called out Jessica.

 

They came over and we said our hellos. We talked for what seemed like forever but it was only for about an hour.

 

“So, what are you two doing for the rest of the night?” asked Wooyoung.

 

Jessica and I looked at each other and Jessica asked, “The Rivercourt?”

 

I nodded in agreement, knowing that he didn’t want to be home. Before we left I needed to use the restroom as did Taeyeon.

 

“You know, you should stop flirting with my boyfriend. Especially in front of yours,” Taeyeon said surprising me.

 

Considering this was not how we spent our last bathroom conversation.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“Don’t play dumb, Tiffany. Wooyoung told me about how you two used to be a thing. And clearly you’re still not over him.”

 

“Taeyeon, I don’t know what Wooyoung told you but I’m over him.”

 

“Why should I believe you? You stole the love of my life and now you want Wooyoung too. Well guess what you can’t have both.”

 

“I don’t want Wooyoung, Taeyeon. I may still be in love with him but I’ve moved on, like you have.  I know you’ll always love Jessica and I get that, but you’ve found someone new that maybe you can love.”

 

Taeyeon looked at me a bit awkwardly.

 

“So you love him then?”

 

“Jessica? Of course.

 

“And Wooyoung?”

 

“Taeyeon, why are you asking me this?”

 

“Because he’s still in love with you and he always will be. That’s the difference between you and me, Tiffany. I’ve moved on, but my new boyfriend hasn’t. My ex has moved on, he loves me, but not the way he loves you. I’ve tried but no matter what I do or say they’ll both love you,” she yelled.

 

“Taeyeon, if you think that Wooyoung is still hung up on me then maybe he isn’t the guy for you. Believe me there are plenty of better guys for you than Wooyoung. He isn’t all what he seems.”

 

“Is this about the accident?”

 

“He told you about that?”

 

“He told me that he accidentally ran a red light and you two got hit.”

 

“That is not the whole story. It wasn’t an accident.”

 

“Whatever,” she said storming out.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

At the Rivercourt, Taeyeon just gave me dirty looks.

 

“How about we play a game?” asked Jessica, dribbling the basketball.

 

“That sounds like fun,” replied Wooyoung.

 

“So, me and Tiffany against you two, then we’ll switch it up,” said Jessica.

 

“That’ fair. First one to five wins,” said Wooyoung.

 

So we started to play. Jessica made the first basket and then Wooyoung. Jessica then passed it to me and I tried for the basket and made it in, surprising myself.

 

“Yay!” I said jumping onto Jessica surprising him.

 

I kissed him passionately, forgetting that Wooyoung and Taeyeon were watching. I quickly stopped and jumped off of Jessica once I realized that they were. I looked a their faces which had more hurt than jealousy.

 

“Nice shot, Tiffany,” replied Wooyoung.

 

Seeing Wooyoung as he said that made my heart melt. I still did care for him and a part of me still felt that our love could still somehow work out in the end, but there was Jessica. The new love of my life, but sometimes when I was around both of them I felt like my love for Wooyoung would dominate the love I had for Jessica, like it was now.

 

“Thanks,” I said smiling at him.

 

Taeyeon noticed my flirtation as she quickly shot me a look. I hadn’t noticed if Jessica saw but I was hoping he hadn’t.

 

We continued to play and after Jessica scored the 5th point for us we switched sides.

 

“This is how it should be,” Wooyoung told me as I switched to his side.

 

I didn’t know what to make of that other than he was referring to how we should be as a couple/ we started the second game and it was tied 4-4 when I had the ball, I was about to make the shot when I heard Taeyeon yell. We all looked over and saw Taeyeon on the ground holding her ankle.

 

“Taeyeon are you ok?” said Jessica concerned and running toward her.

 

Wooyoung looked from Jessica to me and gave me a look. I looked away from him and back to Jessica and Taeyeon.

 

“I’m fine, I think it’ just a sprain,” she said trying to get up.

 

Jessica noticed she couldn’t so he picked her up.

 

“I think we should take her home,” he said.

 

“Oh, no. I don’t want to ruin the rest of the night for everyone. I think if I were just to put some ice or tape on it I’ll be fine. I can just sit it out while you three play.”

 

“You sure?” asked Jessica.

 

“Yeah.”

 

“How about you and Taeyeon go to the store and get whatever you need and Tiffany and I will wait here for you two?” suggested Wooyoung to Jessica.

 

Before I could protest Jessica nodded and was already leaving but then turned to me and said, “I’ll be back.”

 

I watched as Taeyeon and him came out of view, leaving me to be alone with Wooyoung.