Chapter 43

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

“Hey, Yuri, I got the doughnuts,” yelled Yoona from the front door.

 

“Yoong,” I yelled, “Yul’s n labour!”

 

“What?” he said rushing over to the bedroom where Yuri and I were.

 

Yuri was having trouble breathing.

 

“Oh my god,” he said, panicking.

 

“Yoona....Jung...Don’t...just...stand...there,” Yuri said in between breaths.

 

“Right, umm...let’s get you to the hospital,” he said, helping me lifts Yuri up.

 

Once we got into the car, I sat in the backseat with Yuri as Yoona sped down the street.

 

“Breathe,” I reminded her as she squeezed my hand.

 

“I’m scared,” she said, gripping harder.

 

“Baby, you’ll be ok. We’re almost there,” Yoona said from the driver’s seat.

 

Yuri began to gasp for air.

 

“Come on, Yul. Remember to breathe. You didn’t go to those classes for nothing,” I said, now scared.

 

“It hurts,” she screamed.

 

“Don’t think about it,” I said.

 

She gave me a how-am-I-not-supposed-to-think-about-it-look.

 

“Think about good things. Like the time we went on that beach trip, and your time with Nickhun. Do you remember?”

 

“Or the day we met,” chimed in Yoona.

 

“Right,” I said, as her hand grip loosened.

 

The signs for the hospital were coming up now. I could hear an ambulance, somewhere.

 

“Just hold on Yul. We’re almost there,” I said.

 

She squeezed my hand, hard, and closed her eyes.

 

“Don’t leave me ok? Don’t let him leave me either. Promise me you won’t,” she said.

 

“I promise,” I said as we pulled into the parking lot, past the front entrance to Emergency.

 

They put Yuri in a wheelchair, shoved a bunch of forms in my hand and pushed her through a set of double doors, Yoona following.

 

As I was filling out the forms, Jessica called me.

 

“Hello, Tiffany?”

 

“Jessica,” I answered.

 

“Yoona doesn’t answer his phone. Do you know where he is?”

 

“At the hospital, Yuri’s in labour.”

 

“What? I’m on my way,” he said, shock in his voice, and then we both hung up.

 

I rushed back to the admitting desk and handed back the forms. Told them Yuri’s sister and she wanted me to be there and got led back through the double door, past the emergency room curtains, to where they had Yuri.

 

“Where the hell have you been?” she shrieked as soon as she saw me.

 

“What does it matter? Yoong’s with you, besides, I’m here now,” I said smiling.

 

“Well, that’s good because I really need the both of...” and then she stopped talking and sat up straight, holding her stomach.

 

The door opened behind me and the doctor came in, while Yuri breathed heavily, huffing and puffing and grabbed for Yoona’s hand and then for mine with the other. She squeezed so hard I felt that my bones would break.

 

“Ok, it shouldn’t be long now, I just need you to relax, sweetie. Everything will be fine,” the doctor said, leaving after she examined Yuri.

 

“I need drugs,” Yuri said to me and Yoona.

 

Yoona chuckled and said, “You’ll be fine. Just breathe. I’m right here,” and with that he kissed her on the forehead. “Breathe,” he said again as she looked at him.

 

But she wasn’t breathing, only . This scared me. I thought I could handle this, but I was wrong. I was coward. All of a sudden I felt woozy and told Yuri I needed to step out.

 

“Fany-ah, don’t leave. I need the both of you, here with me,” she said, trying to sit up.

 

But I left anyway. I was falling apart.

 

Then I hear it, the voice that would make what I was feeling go away, the voice that would make me feel safe and secure. The voice I loved.

 

“Tiffany, what’s wrong? Did something happen to the baby?” he said as he came closer.

 

“No, everything’s fine. It’s just me freaking out,” I said, holding back the tears.

 

“Fany, there’s no need.”

 

“I know, but I can’t do this.”

 

“Yul’s counting on you. You’re her best friend. I know she loves Yoong, but I don’t think she’ll be able to manage with just him.”

 

“I can’t Jessie.”

 

“She’s counting on you,” I looked into his beautiful eyes and nodded then headed back into the room.

 

“You’re doing fine, baby,” I heard Yoona say as I walked to Yuri’s left side.

 

She was breathing harder now, pushing.

 

“Here it comes...oh push once more, Yuri,” the doctor said excited.

 

Yuri pushed again, gasping and suddenly I watched as the doctor was holding something, the baby.

 

“It’s a girl,” the doctor said, and the nurses wiped her off, cleaned , then they put her in Yuri’s arms.

 

Yuri began to cry as she held her newborn baby, her daughter. Who had been with us since almost the beginning of the school year, growing and growing and now she was here.

 

“A girl, Yoong, our daughter,” she said softly to Yoona who gave her a quick peck and then his daughter’s head with a huge smile on his face.

 

“She’s beautiful. Just like her mommy,” he said

 

Then Yuri looked from her daughter to me.

 

“I’m going to name her Angel Tiffany Kwon – Jung.”

 

“Oh, Yul, you shouldn’t,” I said, fighting back the tears.

 

“I want to,” she said.

 

“No, we want to,” said Yoona looking at me now with that same huge smile that never left his face.

 

“Angel Tiffany Jung,” I whispered as I looked at her.