Chapter 24

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

 

A few weeks had passed, it was the New Year and Yuri and I were both grateful to have made it through the last year and were so far pleased with how this year was going until the news of Yuri’s pregnancy broke out.

 

“Fany, everyone knows,” Yuri said at the beginning of school.

 

As we walked through the halls we could hear the whispers.

 

“I heard she’s pregnant before.”

 

“Is she gonna drop out of school?”

 

“Who’s the father? Yoona?”

 

“Let’s just go to class,” I said trying to walk faster into our classroom.

 

“Yuri!” called out Yoona before we could enter.

 

“Oh, my god, Yoong,” Yuri said hugging him.

 

“You ok?” he asked.

 

“Not really. How does everyone know?”

 

“I don’t know, someone must have overheard or something, but don’t worry, we’ll get through this. We know this day would come.”

 

“Yeah, I just didn’t think today would be that day,” Yuri said.

 

“Have you seen Jessie?” I asked, surprising Yoona and Yuri.

 

“Umm… he said he was gonna go to the gym. Pre-game ritual,” Yoona said.

 

“Right, tonight’s the game,” I said leaving toward the gym.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

When I got to the gym I could see Jessica sitting in the stands staring at the basketball in his hands.

 

“Hey,” I heard someone say as I was about to make my entrance.

 

“What are you doing here?” I heard Jessica say as Tayeon approached him.

 

“I wanted to talk to you,” she said.

 

“About what?” he asked.

 

“I know that you’re with Tiffany and I’m not here to interfere. I just want to tell you that… I’m happy for you two and you can believe me when I say this or you can think it’s all nothing, but you’ve moved on and I’ve accepted that and I know that what we had is over and…”

 

“Taeyeon…”

 

“No, Jessie. Please just let me finish. I’m sorry for everything that I put you though last year with my sister and my problems. I guess what I’m trying to say is goodbye.”

 

“Goodbye?”

 

“I’m leaving Jessie.”

 

Jessica’s face fell as she said this.

 

“I’m gonna finish off the semester and then I’m gone.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Well considering its senior year, I’m smart enough to leave GG High School but not dumb enough to leave school, JYP and YG School come to mind as well as transfer student.”

 

“But why?”

 

“Why not? We’re graduating soon. We’re going to leave this place why not get a head start? And besides there’s nothing left for me here… not anymore.

 

I could feel the tension between them as she said this. I was about to leave when I saw Taeyeon give Jessica a kiss on the cheek leaving both me and Jessica confused as she ran out of the gym.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“It’s game night, are you nervous?” I asked Jessica after fifth.

 

“A little, if we don’t win we don’t make it to playoffs. This could be my last high school basketball game.”

 

“You’re right. Well, good luck and I’ll see you tonight,” I said giving him into a kiss. As he pulled away from it I pulled him back into another one surprising him, “Pre-game ritual.”

 

He smiled and then disappeared into the locker room.

 

“Aww young love,” I heard someone say.

 

I turned around to see Wooyoung.

 

“I can see what you like about the guy.”

 

“Wooyoung, what do you want?”

 

“You mean other than you?” I looked at him confused, “I’m sorry that wasn’t fair. I told you I’m over the whole Wooyoung-Tiffany forever bit and I’ve jumped to the JETI support team.”

 

“JETI?”

 

“That’s what people are calling you two these days. You two used to be the big gossip, now a day it’s all about YoonYul’s baby. How did that come about anyway? I thought Yuri would never move on much less have a baby.”

 

“What do you mean you thought she’d never move on? Move on from what?” I asked.

 

“You’re brother.”

 

“Why would you bring up my brother?”

 

“I’m sorry Tiff. I shouldn’t have. I just remembered how much in love she was with him and how heartbroken she was when he died.”

 

“Well, she has moved on and I think it’s been for the better, pregnant or not.”

 

“Yeah, besides Yoona reminds me of your brother in some ways, except Yoona actually likes me and your brother never did.”

 

“My brother knew you, Yoona doesn’t,” I said about to leave.

 

“You’re brother thought he knew me but he didn’t. When you think about it, you’re brother and I was a lot like.”

 

“No you weren’t. My brother was nothing like you.”

 

“I bet you, I can tell you why he decided to take his own life.”

 

“No you can’t.”

 

“I can. I can tell you because I almost did.”

 

I looked at him concerned.

 

“He most likely felt afraid and alone. And probably hurt about something that he did something unforgiving that would make him lose the one person he loved more than anything in the world and felt there was no reason for him to live.”

 

“Is that how you felt?”

 

“Yeah, it was. You feel like you have nothing left to live for.”

 

“That’s great but I don’t think that’s how my brother felt because he didn’t kill himself.”

 

“Tiif, what are you talking about? It was on the news the autopsy was ruled suicide.”

 

“Just because they ruled it, that doesn’t make it true.”

 

“Do you think someone murdered him?”

 

“I don’t know. I just know my brother had a lot of friends and envious enemies.”

 

“Listen, Tiff. Maybe you’re right about your brother or maybe you’re just trying to avoid the truth but if you ever need any help I’m here,” he said leaning to me.

 

His lips were leaning even closer to my lips but before his lips could touch mine he whispered into my ear, “If you ever need anything.”

 

Then he walked out the double doors leaving my heart to beat fast.