Chapter 21

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

 

“Hey, Tiff, wait up,” called out Wooyoung after school.

 

“Wooyoung, what are you doing?” I said.

 

“I need to talk to you.”

 

“About what?”

 

“I know it must be awkward for you, having me around in fifth period with Jessica, but I won’t tell him.”

 

My eyes widened at this and I hesitated a bit unsure to believe him. He gave me a reassuring look.

 

“Thanks, I guess,” I said.

 

“Besides, he seems like a cool guy,” he said then waved goodbye to me.

 

As I watched him leave I got a sense like everything may turn out to be ok.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Fany, are you ready to talk?” Yuri asked me as we sat in our bedroom.

 

“I’ve thought about it and I think I’ll be alright for now,” I said smiling.

 

“Ok, but whenever you need to talk, I’m here.”

 

“I know.”

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The next two days went by fast and it was almost Christmas and I hadn’t even gone Christmas shopping due to last minute studying for tests that the teachers decided to give us the last day before break. The following morning I got ready to go shopping and was already at the mall when Jessica called me.

 

“Hey, what’s up?” I answered.

 

“You know how I told you to meet me at my house?”

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Well, can you meet me at the Rivercourt instead?”

 

“Yeah, sure, may I ask why the change of location?”

 

“Well, Wooyoung called me up and he asked if I wanted to shoot some hoops with him.”

 

“Wooyoung?” I asked shocked because Wooyoung never liked basketball.

 

“Is that a problem?”

 

“No, no. Have fun,” I said then hung up.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Hey, Fany,” said Yoona after I bumped into him on the way out of one of the candy stores.

 

“Hey,” I said.

 

“Doing your Christmas shopping?”

 

“Yeah, two done, one to go,” I said.

 

“Cool, I’ve been shopping for the perfect gift for Yuri and so far nothing. Do you have any suggestions?”

 

“Well, let see, she has been wanting those two thousand dollar earrings,” I said jokingly.

 

“I’m serious.”

 

“I don’t know; just get her something from the heart. Girls dig that kind of stuff.”

 

“Well, I don’t know. I’m not that romantic. It’s a Jung curse,” he said.

 

“Oh, that’s not true. You’re brother said the same thing and he’s done plenty to prove that there is no curse,” I said.

 

“I guess you’re right, but a few ideas would be helpful. What did her previous boyfriends get her?“  he asked.

 

I hesitated a bit, remembering how this was my brother’s favourite time of year.

 

“Umm… well, my brother gave her a mix tape, cooked dinner for her, and made her happy by just being there with her. But you know you two are having a baby together so maybe…”

 

“Maybe I can give her something that will show her that I will be there for her and our baby?”

 

“Yeah,” I said.

 

“Thanks, Fany.”

 

“No problem,” I said as he walked past me.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“So, how did your day with Wooyoung go?” I asked Jessica cautiously in his bedroom.

 

“It went fine,” he said.

 

“Oh, so what did you guys talk about?”

 

“Nothing,” he said, but I still felt there was something he wasn’t telling me.

 

“Babe?”

 

“Well, the truth is, there was something, something he told me about you.”

 

My heart stopped and my eyes widened.

 

“What did he tell you?”

 

“Just that people make mistakes, which I knew, but also that people have a history and eventually it comes back to bite them in their and the people they care most about… Listen, Baby, I know I told you I didn’t want to know of your past but I can’t help but fear that something like that can ruin our relationship.”

 

“Jessie…”

 

“Fany, just please. I need to know… and then… I’ll tell you what happened between me and Taeyeon.”

 

“Jessie…” I began but then was interrupted by my cell phone. “Hello?” I answered.

 

“Tiffany?” the woman on the other end replied.

 

“Mom?”