Chapter 9

The Truth Behind The Lies

 

As I approached the Rivercourt my heart began to beat faster and faster as I saw him coming into view. I almost turned back, not wanting to move any further, but I did. I had to. I was only a few feet away when I saw Taeyeon. She ran up to him and kissed him. My jaw dropped and my heart skipped a beat. He pulled away from her and saw me. I was stunned at that moment that I didn’t realize he was talking to me.

 

“Tiffany?” he had said.

 

I turned away and ran. Embarrassed and disappointed at myself for believing that he wouldn’t move on and that he would wait until I was ready to give him another chance.

 

He chased after me, I tried losing him but he just wouldn’t give up.

 

“Tiffany, can you please let me explain?” he asked me as I finally stopped and turned to face him.

 

“Explain what? I get it Jessica. I told you to forget about us and you did. I have no reason to be upset,” I said.

 

“But you are, and what just happened was nothing,” Jessica said.

 

“I saw the kiss Jessica. How can you say it was nothing?”

 

“She caught me by surprise. I told you I’m done with Taeyeon. I don’t want her I want you.”

 

I looked at him and then heard Taeyeon approaching.

 

“Jessica, where’d you go?” she asked.

 

Jessica turned around to look at Taeyeon and then he turned back to face me. I began to walk away again.

 

“Tiffany, please wait,” he called out as I stopped and turned back to face him.

 

Taeyeon had already had her tongue in his mouth as I just shook my head and ran back to the apartment disgusted.

 

I barely heard Jessica’s voice as he called out to me.

 

“Tiffany! Tiffany! Taeyeon, what did you do?” I had heard him say.

 

Even though what he had just done was mostly done by Taeyeon doesn’t change the fact that it can’t still happen. I’ve seen what some girls go through. Knowing that there is still that chance that their boyfriend could go back to the one they used to love. I just couldn’t take that chance, even though I was considering it. After that display it wasn’t that I was worried about what Jessica would do but more of what Taeyeon was willing to do to get Jessica back.

 

When I got back to the apartment I lied on my bed, then I noticed a picture that was under Yuri’s bed. I got up from my bed and reached down under Yuri’s to look at it. It was the picture that was taken at our weekend getaway, the last weekend Yuri and I spent with my brother.

 

I began to cry remembering every last moment I spent with him and that was how I ended the night, crying.

 

When I woke up, I realized that I had overslept. I decided to just skip the entire school day, convincing myself that if I were to miss any school day it would be a Friday.

 

When I got up from my bed, I washed my face. I looked at myself in the mirror, noticing the scar, like I had every time I looked at myself. Rewinding everything that happened and playing it over and over in my head. This time, flashes of Jessica and the kisses we had shared played in between.

 

I jumped when my cell phone rang and I answered it, not checking to see who it was.

 

“Tiffany.”

 

I hung up, knowing it was Jessica.

 

Hearing his voice made me remember of what had happened the night before. I walked over to my bedroom and saw the picture again and stared at it.

 

I dropped the picture to the floor and walked out the door, grabbing my car keys on the way out.

 

I was surprised to see Jessica outside the lawn.

 

I stopped, and then continued to walk to my car as he saw me.

 

“Tiffany, will you please listen to me?”

 

I ignored him and opened my car door and said, “I did. All I heard was lies.”

 

“I’m sorry, Taeyeon caught me by surprise. I had no idea she was going to do that. Please trust me.”

 

“I can’t,” I said.

 

“Why can you not? I’ve tried everything. What else do you want me to do to prove to you that I want us?”

 

“You want to know what will convince me Jessica,” He nodded after I said as I continued, “Answers, okay. I want answers.”

 

I got into my car and pulled out as he looked at me.

 

“Where are you going?” he called out, but I pretended like I couldn’t hear him and drove off.

 

It was already dark, and I was tired from the long hours I had spent driving so I pulled over at a parking lot and decide to sleep there until the morning. I didn’t have much money but I had just enough to buy gas. I my cell phone and saw I had fifteen missed calls. They were all from Yuri. I had forgotten she had come back already. I wanted to call her to see how things went with Yoona, but decided not to, not until I finished what I needed to do.

 

The next morning, I got up freshened up and then got back on the road. After hours had passed I could finally see the cemetery coming into view.